Commerce Towers: Condominium High-Rise At 914 Main St.

• 3 years later...

Well, THAT'S interesting. Let us know how it is. I can't imagine that the combination of weird (some expensive) ingredients and a downtown high-rent location isn't going to kill them in a coupla months, but maybe I'm wrong. Hope so.

• Like 1

checked it out over the weekend, had the lasagna and the curry mashed potatoes. both excellent, what you would think with indian spices infused. i'll try the pizza later in the week when my gf is in town.

talked to the owner, he said they were doing well during lunch as expected, but also really busy for dinner. good to hear for that location. hopefully its not just a fad.

• Like 1

The saag paneer pizza would be an easy pick for me.

Why does the menu keep using the word "veggies"? Is that supposed to be cute or something?

I was thinking about this over the weekend. There are lots of Indians/Hindus who are vegetarian. Calm down.

Yes. Just like "cuties", "meaties", "crazies", and "dummies". wink.gif

Got it here...

I was thinking about this over the weekend. There are lots of Indians/Hindus who are vegetarian. Calm down.

...but totally missed the point here.

How many people have your login info?

How many people have your login info?

haha

so when i ordered the lasagna, he warned me it had beef in it (which is reasonable since i'm brown). it just says meat sauce, but it actually has chunks of beef. a little lacking on the cheese, but the flavor was excellent.

reminds me of a funny story: last week i was at Dulles and the lady warned me that the hamburger i ordered had beef. i know she was being nice and looking out for me, but come on. she then went on to explain to me (she was hispanic) that there are lots of indians that didn't eat beef. i thanked her for the warning and added bacon to really throw her off.

Edited by skwatra

haha

so when i ordered the lasagna, he warned me it had beef in it (which is reasonable since i'm brown). it just says meat sauce, but it actually has chunks of beef. a little lacking on the cheese, but the flavor was excellent.

reminds me of a funny story: last week i was at Dulles and the lady warned me that the hamburger i ordered had beef. i know she was being nice and looking out for me, but come on. she then went on to explain to me (she was hispanic) that there are lots of indians that didn't eat beef. i thanked her for the warning and added bacon to really throw her off.

lol. Happens all the time... Used to order Nachos at some place near UH. This is what the conversation was usually like:

Her - May I take your order?

Me - Yes, I'd like the Super Supreme Nachos.

Her - With cheese?

Ugh.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I'll go to Spec's and get a bottle of nice red wine or a Belgian style beer like Unibroue La Fin Du Monde and then take it over to Bombay for dinner. The owner Viral always offers to put your extra beers in the cooler, gets you a glass to pour into if you want, and he doesn't charge a corking fee. Its one of the sweetest deals in town imo.

Edited by kylejack

This is one of my favorite places to eat these days. BYOB makes it just awesome.

I didn't realize it either until my second visit. Ended up going across the CVS and getting some beer, and they put the extra ones in the cooler.

Good Stuff.

Gateway is good, though Saag Paneer is my favorite so far.

• 1 month later...

The pizza rocks at this place, very unique, very tasty. Probably the best pizza I've had in a long time.

Cool that you drink La Fin Du Monde... that stuff is from Montreal, Canada! I'm happy to see that Canadian beer is popular here in TX.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I read all these posts and then walked in with a bottle of wine last night, as did a few other guys in line, and we were all REJECTED.

Manager: "Sorry, you guys cant bring dat in here"

Me: "I thought it was byob?"

Other guy: "yea me too, i read that on Yelp"

Manager: "Yea, dat was two monds ahgo, before we had our ligghur license"

Fail. Still ate some pizza though, it was alright. I wasnt blown away.

• Like 1

yeah, I was a little annoyed at the end of BYOB. but the owner said that was his plan all along, just didn't have the license.

I'm really glad they are not open during the day on Saturday, previously it was only in the evening on Saturday.

I was curious on how he was doing in the weekday evenings, he said it was going pretty good especially Thursday-Saturday. I was glad to hear that. And he obviously kills during lunch.

• Like 1

• 9 years later...

Historic Downtown Residential Tower Slated for a Redo

https://realtynewsreport.com/2020/02/07/historic-downtown-residential-tower-slated-for-a-redo/

HOUSTON – (Realty News Report) – Commerce Towers, a historic residential high-rise in downtown Houston is getting ready for its close-up.

Premier Towers LP, owner of the 25-story building, says a “major makeover” is in the pipeline. The 140-unit property includes a mix of rental units and owner-occupied condominiums.

The building, 914 Main Street, was originally constructed in 1928 by Jesse H. Jones, a real estate developer, businessman and former publisher of the Houston Chronicle.

Purchased in 1999 by Premier Towers LP, Commerce Towers has undergone one other renovation completed in 2004. Each individual unit is unique to the building, with square footage of up to 4,500 SF, a large size home which is a rarity in downtown. The smallest units are about 1,300 SF.

With a total of 140 units, 71 units are owned by Premier Towers LP, including multiple built-to-suit penthouses, and the remaining units are owned by individuals.

“We’re excited about the changes that will be implemented in order to support the long-term vitality of the property,” said Nosson Dubin, Vice President of Business Development. “Our goal is to enhance the Commerce Towers experience for our current and future residents.”

While the timeline and specific details have not been disclosed, the renovations will include modern updates to the lobby, major improvements to the amenity areas such as the pool deck, workout room and party rooms, and exterior renovations that will preserve the historic appeal of the building.

With a total of 140 units, 71 units are owned by Premier Towers LP, including multiple built-to-suit penthouses, and the remaining units are owned by individuals.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...