Emancipation Center: Dowling St. At Elgin St.

Urbannizer

2 hours ago, hindesky said:

Do property owners get to decide what the street is named? The name was removed because it was named after a losing officer from the conquered confederate army. The confederacy lost the war to hold slaves and this is a largely black neighborhood, I think they should have a choice in the name of their streets vs. some racists rednecks from the suburbs. Since when do losers get to have stuff named after them? Lol, back at you racists POS.

I'm racist being a person of color and actually living in 3rd ward?

6 hours ago, hindesky said:

Do property owners get to decide what the street is named? The name was removed because it was named after a losing officer from the conquered confederate army. The confederacy lost the war to hold slaves and this is a largely black neighborhood, I think they should have a choice in the name of their streets vs. some racists rednecks from the suburbs. Since when do losers get to have stuff named after them? Lol, back at you racists POS.

Let's be careful on using terms like "racist". That is going to start fights pretty quickly.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

Are they planning to and/or did they consider renaming Tuam street, also?  Below is the entry from wikipedia.  Apparently, Tuam was named at the same time in 1892 for Dowling's place of birth in Ireland.

Dowling Street (1892)

In 1892, the Houston City Council renamed East Broadway to Dowling Street.[13] On 11 January 2017, Houston City Council approved a plan to rename Dowling Street to Emancipation Avenue.[14]

Tuam Street (1892)

In 1892, the Houston City Council renamed a street, which is perpendicular to Dowling Street (now Emancipation Avenue), to Tuam Street, the namesake of Dowling's birthplace Tuam, Ireland.

1 hour ago, august948 said:

Are they planning to and/or did they consider renaming Tuam street, also?  Below is the entry from wikipedia.  Apparently, Tuam was named at the same time in 1892 for Dowling's place of birth in Ireland.

I hadn't heard anything about it, I would have assumed it would have happened with the name change of Emancipation. I guess it just flew under the radar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Emancipation Center: Dowling At Elgin St.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Emancipation Center: Dowling St. At Elgin St.
  • 1 year later...

https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/deal-sheet/this-weeks-houston-deal-sheet-119635

"Civic Heart Community Services relocated its headquarters this month to One Emancipation Center at 3131 Emancipation Ave. in Houston’s Third Ward. The 34-year-old organization, the largest Black-founded nonprofit organization in the Gulf Coast region. The organization was formerly known as Change Happens!

Civic Heart outgrew its previous location on Elgin Street, home to the organization for the past 18 years. The new 10-year lease for 13K SF allows Civic Heart to remain in the historic Third Ward, while adding space to accommodate its growing number of programs and services."

• Like 6