Drewery Place: Multifamily High-Rise At 2850 Fannin St.

Urbannizer

7 hours ago, MarathonMan said:

Yes, I thing the 570 and 600 ft towers are next, but I don’t think they start construction until early next year.  Prep work is beginning on the sites, though.  No renderings on their website, but i’d Imagine they’ll be released shortly before construction begins.  They probably want to keep the focus on Drewery Place right now to get it leased as quickly as possible.

Yeah they'd probably want to lease up before they start all the construction noise.

• Like 2

Help me out. I'm looking above the plywood directly in front of the red Art sign painted on the wall.

I see a reflection of the trees and the building across the street in what appears to be plexiglass or plastic. Can you explain what I'm seeing,

and tell me I'm not seeing things.

20 minutes ago, bobruss said:

Help me out. I'm looking above the plywood directly in front of the red Art sign painted on the wall.

I see a reflection of the trees and the building across the street in what appears to be plexiglass or plastic. Can you explain what I'm seeing,

and tell me I'm not seeing things.

I took the photo on the train. Perhaps you are noticing that.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, MarathonMan said:

I love almost everything about this building, but I still don’t like that the lighting on the north face doesn’t extend all the way down to the pool level.  In the rendering on Caydon’s website, it looks like that was the plan.  Maybe it was a budget cut?

5AD18E4E-DC4A-46AF-95DC-4977037ABA4B.jpeg

I get what you're saying. But imo, when heading south the lighting looks "classy" and understated--not trying too hard to be "edgy". 

Edited by quietstorm
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, phillip_white said:

Now that you mention the fence, I just noticed that you can see it in the drone pic I took the other night:

org_a92e4f2dfd023514_1566265334000-01

16 hours ago, MarathonMan said:

I love almost everything about this building, but I still don’t like that the lighting on the north face doesn’t extend all the way down to the pool level.  In the rendering on Caydon’s website, it looks like that was the plan.  Maybe it was a budget cut?

5AD18E4E-DC4A-46AF-95DC-4977037ABA4B.jpeg

Maybe the lighting is not yet fully installed?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
jeff-jeffrey-1*90xx1000-1333-0-0.png
By Jeff Jeffrey  – Reporter, Houston Business Journal 
Jul 11, 2019, 3:51pm EDT

While much of the new 27-story Midtown high-rise known as Drewery Place is still under construction, residents have already started to move into the building and take advantage of the amenities.

The first three floors of the mixed-use building’s residential space — floors four, five and six — opened to residents on July 1. The rest of the building’s 357 apartment units will be delivered at a rate of about three floors per week through September, said Derrek Lerouax, chief operating officer of Australia-based Caydon USA, the developer behind Drewery Place. Currently, over 10 percent of the units have already been leased, despite many of them still being under construction, Lerouax said. 

Click through the slideshow above for a sneak peek inside Drewery Place.

Drewery Place marks Caydon's first development project in the United States. The high-rise is also the first stage of Caydon’s planned 3.5-acre development in Midtown, to be called Laneways. The development will ultimately include three more high-rise apartment towers with space for retail, a condominium project and a boutique hotel. Caydon has not yet announced its hotel partner. 

While contractors still have plenty of work to do to bring Drewery Place fully online, some of the building’s amenities are already on display.

Each apartment unit is outfitted with a smart-home system that does everything from controlling the thermostat to allowing residents to enter their home using an app on their phone rather than a key. 

“That can make things much easier when residents have a friend over or have someone walk their dog. If they have the app and the correct access code, it can be a lot less hassle for the resident to try to coordinate,” said Emily Thurston, development manager for Caydon.

The smart-home tech at Drewery Place came via a partnership with Amazon. The partnership also allowed Caydon to install a secure parcel room, where packages can be delivered into individual storage units rather than a single area.

“We felt like that was a way for us to offer our residents some additional security on their package deliveries,” Lerouax said. 

The deal also allows Amazon to program all of the smart tech in a resident's home, Lerouax said. 

Each unit also features solid-surface kitchen countertops, engineered wood floors and the choice of two color schemes: dark gray or white.

On the eighth-floor amenity space, which is still under construction, residents will have access to a half-acre pool deck with a pool, a swim-up bar, grilling areas and a faux hill, offering an unobstructed view of the Houston skyline. The amenity space also includes a TV-watching area, “sunset lounge” areas and a conference room.

Drewery Place residents can also expect amenities to include 360-degree views of downtown Houston, a 4,000-square-foot sky lounge, indoor and outdoor yoga spaces, valet service and a 24-hour concierge. 

The building’s first floor also features 13,000 square feet for retail, 80 percent of which has already been leased. The retail tenants that have already leased space in Drewery Place include Austin-based Black Swan Yoga, Houston-based Earthcraft Juicery and Caydon’s future condo sales center.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/07/11/photos-australian-developers-first-us-apartment.html?ana=e_hstn_bn_newsalert&j=89936981&t=Breaking News&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiT1RKaVpqZ3lPVGswWVdVMCIsInQiOiJIZkdscEszNUlTQ3ZoM0l6TzRoaUx3UkNsRTQxQW01cmxQK0cwcmJ1cHBCdDkweFNTb0pTeERhRkVFWEZcL2dOQWdOSTVhb0s4UHBGbXdXRXZLOExjZDQyMHFxc1pxdVB2RmVRQ1wvNEoyOVl1U2xFUmZzQnpNblFwQTNtK3htVTVKIn0%3D

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Urbannizer said:

https://www.chron.com/business/real-estate/article/Caydon-s-luxe-Midtown-tower-not-for-luddites-14420409.php

The next phase is being planned as a boutique hotel with apartments on top.  The building could be as tall as 48 stories and is expected to break ground in the first quarter of next year, the company said.

My impression from the Chron article is that they are putting up one building at a time.  If true, the build-out would take just under a decade for four buildings.  That seems like a long time for a development like Laneways, which hinges on the concept of a cohesive ground-level pedestrian experience.  If you keep the area a construction zone for years and years, that concept suffers.  It seems to me like it would be more advantageous to get the whole thing done as quickly as possible. . . assuming funding is available.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MarathonMan said:

My impression from the Chron article is that they are putting up one building at a time.  If true, the build-out would take just under a decade for four buildings.  That seems like a long time for a development like Laneways, which hinges on the concept of a cohesive ground-level pedestrian experience.  If you keep the area a construction zone for years and years, that concept suffers.  It seems to me like it would be more advantageous to get the whole thing done as quickly as possible. . . assuming funding is available.

This is also the Chron, and I'm sure they aren't tracking this development as in-depth as we are. My sense is that it was a typical reporter question and they got a typical business response, and left it at that. Remember they don't have the time or the manpower to go further into detail, and so essentially fine with whatever info is provided. I mean doing research and analysis is a lot of work, right?

From what we know the next phase is at least two towers. I mean we have been able to dig up FAA heights for these towers, so we already know what is coming down the pipeline. I always take info from the Chron is extra info or color commentary to what we already know. Heck we have better field reporters that give us updates better than what they can do. They have maybe a few people that cover real estate, construction, and development. We have a full site, and community that is intensely dedicated to this topic, and a thread 23 pages long. This certainly isn't to get on a high horse, or say who is better or not, or to be condescending, but merely a reminder about perspective. Its not like we get everything right or know everything. We can often be wrong, and sometimes things pop up out of the blue, but because of our dedication to this topic we are going to have a broader perspective than Chron will.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, ArtNsf said:

Wow, 48 stories !  That's as tall as any of the new buildings that have been completed in central downtown in the past 5 years or so.  Hope it sparks a super-tall trend...maybe...

While a super tall would be nice, I want all these lots filled with 20-30 story high rises to give the whole area a more urban filling.

THEN SMACK IN A SUPERTALL!! lol

• Like 6