I think I finally figured out what is under the parking lot. In the third photo the one with the rusted corrugated pipe in the foreground. I was curious what was going on down there and I think its more water retention runoff from the parking lot which will eventually end up in the large retention pond on the north end of the property.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, bobruss said:

I think I finally figured out what is under the parking lot. In the third photo the one with the rusted corrugated pipe in the foreground. I was curious what was going on down there and I think its more water retention runoff from the parking lot which will eventually end up in the large retention pond on the north end of the property.

You wouldn't believe the design acrobatics that have to be pulled off to meet city's ridiculous detention requirements right now. Especially with large sites. Even with permeable pavements, green roofs that go towards being credits for a project the amount of detention needed is still a ridiculous amount. The city has to start taking the lead on the infrastructure end. This can't all be put on the developer. You can't not create alternatives for transit which you then punish developers by requiring an abundance of parking, and then push then for having all that parking by requiring detention for anything that is impervious cover. Thats a lot to ask from people wanting to build here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2019 at 3:04 PM, bobruss said:

They're promoting the new HEB 288 grand opening at the Scott /OST store. They're closing on the same day as the new opening. December 17th, is the grand opening.

Such shame. I wish H-E-B would consider converting the Scott and OST ( Old Spanish Trail ) store back to a pantry concept. 

There is an Aldi grocery store several blocks down and a Pyburns on Scott near 610, but that H-E-B carried more. It also served many in that neighborhood, down into South Union and the Yellowstone area. It was easier and quicker to either walk or take Metro there.

The new H-E-B will have fresher produce and meats, and more variety for sure, but it will be too far for others on the other side of the bayou and further down to 610. It can be cost effective to have two H-E-B stores in the Third Ward area and nearby. Both H-E-B can cater to different demographics while remaining profitable and serving the surrounding communities.

• 2 weeks later...

They have started sprucing up the area around the HEB.

They are putting sidewalks in on the side streets and landscaping. 

They've planted a ton of Magnolias and putting up a precast concrete fence around the retention pond side across from the homes on that side of the store.

They also have a dedicated curbside pickup area. Looks like everything is coming together for a mid December opening.

What's strange is this building has no facade facing MacGregor - it's just a blank wall.  That's also the view for NB 288.  I wonder why they ended up deciding that

Also Metro is going to reroute the 5 bus to go to HEB https://www.ridemetro.org/MetroPDFs/News/PublicHearings/120319-Feb-Service-Changes-Public-Hearing-Flyer-en-es.pdf

5 Southmore – 7 days/week – Extend the route to a new HEB located at N. MacGregor & S.H. 288, and adjust schedules to improve arrival and departure times.

https://www.ridemetro.org/MetroPDFs/News/PublicHearings/February-2020-Service-Change-Book.pdf (page 6)

It's going to go south on 288's feeder to go to HEB, then go back north to Southmore

1 hour ago, cspwal said:

What's strange is this building has no facade facing MacGregor - it's just a blank wall.  That's also the view for NB 288.  I wonder why they ended up deciding that

Also Metro is going to reroute the 5 bus to go to HEB https://www.ridemetro.org/MetroPDFs/News/PublicHearings/120319-Feb-Service-Changes-Public-Hearing-Flyer-en-es.pdf

https://www.ridemetro.org/MetroPDFs/News/PublicHearings/February-2020-Service-Change-Book.pdf (page 6)

It's going to go south on 288's feeder to go to HEB, then go back north to Southmore

I think the positioning of the building is to reinforce the fact that its a neighborhood store first. As do the entrances, since you can only get in by coming up through Macgregor towards 288, or the neighborhood street just North.

Metro better hope they finish the Southmore bridge soon. 

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of HEB trailers are on the parking lot today. Must be starting to unload  unrefrigerated items such as products without use by dates, kitchen and cleaning supplies, household items, paper goods, cleaners, and that sort of thing. They're finishing up landscaping and sidewalk construction. Curbside looks ready to go. 

Two weeks to go!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, hindesky said:

Lots of work being done on the outside, I'm sure lots of work is being done on the inside. HEB had a table set up in one entrance for what I assume is employee orientation .

MK9ENpN.jpg

AiF3bRf.jpg

X33X0SY.jpg

looks like they built a border wall to block off the 3rd Ward from entering their store. 

10 hours ago, hindesky said:

It actually blocks the gully around the eastern portion of the property from vehicles driving into the moat.

so, it's to stop the  "aaaarrrrgh, splash" moments for drunk or lost drivers...

9 hours ago, corbs315 said:

It was bonkers when I went at 1130 today. Wonder how crowded it will be in the future and how much of that was based on it being opening day.

If it's anything like the Heights HEB, it will be bonkers for a month or more.

H-E-B MacGregor store brings fresh food, concern to Third Ward

But while many Third Ward residents said they welcome H-E-B to the neighborhood, some worried the new grocery store will accelerate the kind of transformation — revitalization to some, gentrification to others — that has taken place in many of Houston’s traditionally African American neighborhoods, such as Freedmen’s Town.

I went by on opening day around 7:30am to grab a thank you card. I didn't really get to look around the whole store because I was pressed for time, but I got to take a picture with Scott McClelland and from what I saw, it's an impressive store. I might try to go by today. It's nice having a full service grocery store nearby. When the Ardmore St. bridge is reconstructed, it'll be an easy 3 min drive from me.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived