Jones Plaza At 600 Louisiana St.

Duce

When I was downtown last week, it seemed all the Jones Plaza entrances were taped off. Now they seemed to be cleaning but I wasn't sure if this was just for cleaning, or for some other reason. Is something going on here? Will Party On The Plaza return or has it been swallowed by The Main Event?

• Like 1

When I was downtown last week, it seemed all the Jones Plaza entrances were taped off. Now they seemed to be cleaning but I wasn't sure if this was just for cleaning, or for some other reason. Is something going on here? Will Party On The Plaza return or has it been swallowed by The Main Event?

I think party on the plaza should be ok. I dont think they still have the main event do they?

Seeing the trend, I would guess they are tearing down the plaza to build a... Walgreens! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

They just had some festival event there over the weekend. I'm not sure which one. Sometimes they block the entrances to control admission.

Now that I'm working downtown, one of my favorite places to have lunch is the little stand at Jones Plaza. Not that the food is so great, but it's nice to sit out and look around at the theater district. I just wish there was something they could do to lessen the latrine feel of the tiled walls. Maybe grow some ivy on them. Might be a nice effect.

i stopped by the plaza last night (tuesday), it was tejano night and it was packed (90% hispanics). every tuesday they'll be there. here's a schedule.

i asked a guy at the gate, and he said there was also a party on the plaza every thursday night, not sure what type of music they have on that night.

• 4 months later...

Jones Hall Plaza -

I don't know who is responsible for this un-inspired, ugly mess, but I wish it could be bull-dozed!!! If any area in downtown screams for a GREAT PLAZA, this does.

With all of the beautiful architecture surrounding it, not to mention all of the great ARTS buildings, this should be like one of the monumental European spaces - with an important fountain, sculpture and gardens. Instead we have this UGLY execise in aluminum, concrete, tile and one tired little fountain - I am so ashamed of this mess, it embarrasses me.

Bob Delatte

Ah yes, "Jordy's Toilet". I really don't think it's all that bad myself, although it is hardly memorable. In the design's defence, it would be hard to make a great European-style public space out of the square. It is basically the roof of a parking garage, which limits what you can do with it. Being elevated above street level makes it difficult to design it as an inviting public space.

How is Market Square un-accessible?

I dont like how, if you want to cross it instead of walking around the block, you pretty much are forced to walk to the end of the block to access the diagonal entreances. And if you walked that, you might as well just walk around the block.

I like the layout of Bryant Park in Manhattan: it invites you in. And from within, you can go in all directions.

Jones is probably as nice as they could have done, given the parameters, I agree. But, Market Square? Sure, I'd like to see some more benches and tables, maybe with some chess tables built in, and some shade features, but otherwise, it is a nice green space. And the redo of Travis Street is making great time. This will help even more.

I don't mind Jones Plaza that much. I had mixed feelings about the renovation; I kind of liked one aspect of the old design -- the mature trees that lined all four sides of it. But the new design is more modern and accessible and a better design for how the space is most often used.

As for Market Square, I can appreciate some of the design aspects of it, including the diagonal walkways. However, as parks go, it's very unusable. The greenspace goes completely unused, and is really only accessible from the streets. I'd love to see it modified, so the green areas are more accessible from the walkways across the square, and maybe two walkways added that start in the middle of each block and go through the middle of the square to the other side. One would bisect the square on parallel to Travis and Milam, the other would be parallel to Preston and Congress. A better feature in the center of the square, along with many more trees and benches and a few tables in the grassy areas would help a lot too. I'd love to see something like some of the squares and circles in DC (like Dupot Circle) here in Market Square. The park would probably see a lot more use that way than it does now.

Alright, it's official. Let's take up a collection and then make a presentation to city hall demanding that we want to redesign Market Square to include a fountain with a statue of a dude on top of it....and maybe a fence around it.

Anything else?

(I'm being sarcastic, but actually, I've always wanted a bigassed fountain like that in the middle of Market Square. Something old fashioned, to fit the buildings surrounding it.)

I've always wanted a bigassed fountain like that in the middle of Market Square. 

Perhaps a nude J-Lo vomiting water? :o

I like some features of Market Square, such as the ceramic tiles depicting early views and historical information about Houston. I like the James Surls sculpture, but question if it's weighty enough to act as a focal point. (A history of the current design of Market Square can be found here.)

Perhaps this is a bit corny, but I picture a traditional American town square, complete with a centrally located gazebo; sidewalks which cross both diagonally and at right angles (superimposed x and +); a low fence, a few trees and benches. Plain, accessible, easily maintained and versitile.

But think of Jones Plaza before. Now that the trees are maturing, there's a fountain and a stage with a great chess game, bistro - I have found that it is a pleasant place to lounge. And the bathrooms are awesome - clean and readily available. Party on the Plaza takes place and it is so much better because there are covered areas to get out of the blazing sun. I'll give it a B+

Ah yes, "Jordy's Toilet".  I really don't think it's all that bad myself, although it is hardly memorable.  In the design's defence, it would be hard to make a great European-style public space out of the square.  It is basically the roof of a parking garage, which limits what you can do with it.  Being elevated above street level makes it difficult to design it as an inviting public space.

This is the roof of a parking garage, too. It's also the roof of a train station. It should be easier to build a great park over a garage because you're in total control of the environment.

What's there now is better than what was, but it's still not "great."

It reminds me of some hotel rooms I've stayed in -- trying so hard to be interesting, that it's steile. It needs something like more plants or another large water feature, or something to make it feel more human and make the humans feel less like they're at the bottom of a massive tile shower stall.

What's there now is better than what was, but it's still not "great." 

It reminds me of some hotel rooms I've stayed in -- trying so hard to be interesting, that it's steile.  It needs something like more plants or another large water feature, or something to make it feel more human and make the humans feel less like they're at the bottom of a massive tile shower stall.

I totally agree with the plants thing. Also, fountains would be great. Fountains are attractive and inviting. I think the foundation for the park is there, but adding to would be cool.