Jones Plaza At 600 Louisiana St.

Duce

Looks like Jones Plaza is getting yet another overhaul

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/busine...ff/6239834.html

Last fall, Central Houston quietly invited a group of big-name architecture firms to submit their qualifications to recommend design changes for the plaza, bordered by Louisiana, Texas, Capitol and Smith streets at the core of downtown

I'm with Niche here. Market Square needs some help.

I went to a Dynamo rally in Jones Plaza a while back. There was also some other event where different restaurants participated. This plaza functions very well as is, regardless of design preferences. They just need to organize more activities to draw more people. Bring back "Party on the Plaza". That was really cool back then.

...or Les Givral's or Franks.

Not many people walk through the square, it's generally bum infested.

"Bum infested" is a bit overstated. I walked through it twice a day when I parked in the Mkt Square garage. Bums ranged from none to two or three. A much bigger problem was that it is absolutely uninviting and unimaginative...except to the dogs who crap there.

They tried to bring back the farmers market 4 years ago. It died a quick death.

"Bum infested" is a bit overstated. I walked through it twice a day when I parked in the Mkt Square garage. Bums ranged from none to two or three. A much bigger problem was that it is absolutely uninviting and unimaginative...except to the dogs who crap there.

I agree, I would not call it bum-infested. Spend a little time at the Greyhound station or Allen's Landing (sometimes) for some perspective.

They tried to bring back the farmers market 4 years ago. It died a quick death.

I seem to remember something like that, but maybe it might do better now that downtown is a little more lively?

Okay, it's not bum infested. 1 or 2 doesn't qualify it for that. Anyway, it's still uninviting. I park at the Kim Son garage, so I walk by all the time.

Don't they already have a farmer's market at Discover Green?

Okay, it's not bum infested. 1 or 2 doesn't qualify it for that. Anyway, it's still uninviting. I park at the Kim Son garage, so I walk by all the time.

Don't they already have a farmer's market at Discover Green?

Yeah, but it sucks. The one at Tafia is much better. I haven't been to the one at La Strada.

lol, some cheese and a couple of boxes of tomatoes in a parking lot is not a farmers market. Besides, the 7 people in Houston who care have already gotten up at 6 am to buy all the tomatoes anyway.

I'm with 20th st dad. Bring on the street performers! Go-cups and tarot cards! And some damn mobile food vendors. Our urban quotient would go up a ton if one could buy and eat a shawarma on the sidewalks of downtown Houston.

I'm with 20th st dad. Bring on the street performers! Go-cups and tarot cards! And some damn mobile food vendors. Our urban quotient would go up a ton if one could buy and eat a shawarma on the sidewalks of downtown Houston.

How about a taco truck? That would rawk.

I suspect that tamale vendors, shawarma and fortune tellers isn't quite the "upscale" image that downtown would like to project.

sigh, I suspect you're right. But when it comes to urban 'vibrancy' don't we really mean 'more people' ? 100 people in a square eating sausage on a stick and watching clowns make animal balloon looks busier, and therefore better (especially in brochure photographs) than 10 people buying locally grown micro greens and cutely packaged cheese.

:D I cannot give up on my downscale, downtown food cart dream.

sigh, I suspect you're right. But when it comes to urban 'vibrancy' don't we really mean 'more people' ? 100 people in a square eating sausage on a stick and watching clowns make animal balloon looks busier, and therefore better (especially in brochure photographs) than 10 people buying locally grown micro greens and cutely packaged cheese.

It does??

It does??

It absolutely does. Density and its shiny cousin 'vibrancy' , at their most basic, just mean attracting more bodies downtown. This is Houston, not the Bay Area. You're gonna attract more people with a hot dog cart and beer than cheese and turnips.

OK maybe not clowns. They can be scary.

Edited by crunchtastic