B-Cycle expansion and improvements are on the way!

On 4/20/2023 at 12:16 PM, Andrew Ewert said:

BCycle has 150 stations, great branding, an awesome social media presence, and a proven track record.

Metro is going to take 43 years to extend a light rail line to the airport.

So yeah, obviously, let's definitely make Metro in charge of all the public bikes in the city.

BCycle's "proven track record" apparently includes running out of money and having to close down much of the system, so . . . 

3 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

BCycle's "proven track record" apparently includes running out of money and having to close down much of the system, so . . . 

For real. BCycle and Metro are mutual gap-closers; a partnership makes sense. I'm also not nearly as down on Metro as that commenter. The two BRT lines on tap are impressive in scope and have transformative potential. But even a successful realization of the full slate of MetroNEXT projects will require quality last-mile solutions.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

We have to shut down BCycle. It breaks our hearts. (Opinion) (houstonchronicle.com) 

"At Houston Bike Share, the nonprofit agency that runs the BCycle system, we’ve been working to find new funding for more than a year. We’ve made tough decisions, suspending stations and raising prices. And now, in the face of a major cash crunch, we plan to shut down the operation completely in the next two months."

Article goes into more depth on the success they saw over the years and how they really propelled Houstonians to adopt bikeshare as a mode of recreation and transport. Unfortunately, they were not able to remain profitable as funds and donation terms ended. Very sad to say the least to hear that the end is near for them. 

Edited by Justin Welling
  • Sad 2

On 4/20/2023 at 12:16 PM, Andrew Ewert said:

BCycle has 150 stations, great branding, an awesome social media presence, and a proven track record.

Metro is going to take 43 years to extend a light rail line to the airport.

So yeah, obviously, let's definitely make Metro in charge of all the public bikes in the city.

Sounds like BCycle couldn't survive without heavy subsidization.  In that case putting a government agency like Metro in charge is going to be the only way it will happen.

3 hours ago, sapo2367 said:

Sad news, hopefully this can be restarted if the funding appears. Also we need to change this title -- I keep thinking there is good news and then I read the post.

Yeah, even the new LynnWyattSquare.com website lists BCycle as a transportation option…

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/metro-bike-share-system-bcycle-18381048.php

"A new set of shared bikes could be poised for Houston sidewalks, as Metro officials consider a $10.6 million integration of as-needed cycling into the transit system, starting with 20 stations in early 2024.

The proposal, scheduled for approval next Thursday by the Metropolitan Transit Authority board, would approve a three-year deal with PBSC Urban Solutions, with two annual extensions. 

The aim is to use cycling either to connect to places within biking distance or to access frequent transit, Metro CEO Tom Lambert said. Though costs are not finalized, the plan would be to charge a price for the bikes similar to the buses and trains, where a person pays $1.25 for a three-hour block of time.

“If you are starting with a bike and going to a bus, that is one trip,” Lambert said."

• Like 1

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/houston-bike-sharing-bcycle-500k-18391859.php

"Houston’s floundering bike sharing system has a little more life, after city officials approved $500,000 to keep the system operational, at least until a new system for checking out bicycles is in place.

“There are a lot of people who use the service and we don’t want them to lose the service,” Mayor Sylvester Turner said.

City Council approved the money Wednesday from Houston’s general fund, aimed at giving the nonprofit Houston Bike Share a few more months of funding to keep roughly 60 kiosks and the bikes held there operational. Houston’s planning department will work with the nonprofit to decide how the money will be spent and formalize an agreement with the nonprofit."

• Like 2

3 hours ago, corbs315 said:

I "won" a lifetime membership with BCycle last "Tour de BCycle." I will miss it.

I would be thrilled for Metro's development but they're all e-bikes and I use the system for exercise.

Maybe it's time to buy a bike...maybe.

Myself and I believe another HAIFer also got lifetime memberships last year.  

• 2 months later...