B-Cycle expansion and improvements are on the way!

39 minutes ago, Texasota said:

Bcycle has subsidized membership options, and bikes have maintenance and occasional replacement costs.

"lucky enough to live next to one" - again, the system becomes more useful to more people the more you expand it.

This just isn't the zero sum game you're trying to portray it as. You don't have to use bikeshare; that doesn't mean it isn't useful.

I did the math already. Bike sharing like BCycle just won't be the mainstream option. Unprecedented elsewhere. There are bike share programs used as a mainstream commute option in countries like China, but the bicycles are not docked and more densely parked. No one here will like shared bicycles parked randomly in their neighborhood, blocking sidewalks. 

Meanwhile I am curious to know more about BCycle's financial picture, like how cost effective it can be. But I cannot find a financial disclosure or similar anywhere. 

36 minutes ago, chempku said:

I did the math already. Bike sharing like BCycle just won't be the mainstream option. Unprecedented elsewhere. There are bike share programs used as a mainstream commute option in countries like China, but the bicycles are not docked and more densely parked. No one here will like shared bicycles parked randomly in their neighborhood, blocking sidewalks. 

Meanwhile I am curious to know more about BCycle's financial picture, like how cost effective it can be. But I cannot find a financial disclosure or similar anywhere. 

So... what is your point?

31 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

So... what is your point?

Compared to privately-owned bicycles, docked bike sharing programs like BCycle will be less cost effective for mainstream use. The policy makers should prioritize efforts make it easier for cyclists to use their own bicycles, rather than expanding the docked bike sharing programs. 

20 minutes ago, chempku said:

Compared to privately-owned bicycles, docked bike sharing programs like BCycle will be less cost effective for mainstream use. The policy makers should prioritize efforts make it easier for cyclists to use their own bicycles, rather than expanding the docked bike sharing programs. 

Is there any evidence of bike sharing programs being linked with reduced bike infrastructure?

I agree with the other commenters here. I own a bike and use it plus the bus for commuting. But I also have an annual BCycle membership that I intend to renew when it expires, because while its utility for me has not been frequent, I have found it pleasantly useful probably twenty times this year, and urgently necessary another ten or so.

Edited to add what was supposed to have been my main point:

Bikeshare programs are not really well suited to being whole-commute solutions for a huge number of people. But a dense network of well-stocked stations can still be wonderful (and well worth the typical subsidization cost) for a downtown, especially when combined with good bike infrastructure. A visitor staying at a downtown hotel could access the whole downtown area with ease, and even go for a casual bike ride along the bayou. A suburbanite in town for an evening could leave the car in one spot for the evening. And a bike-owning bike commuter can have the option of one-way, lock-free trips, which is more handy than you might think. (Example: I wouldn't ride a bike to a a fancy dress-up event, but I rode BCycles home from three separate weddings this year.)

Edited by 004n063
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, 004n063 said:

Is there any evidence of bike sharing programs being linked with reduced bike infrastructure?

I agree with the other commenters here. I own a bike and use it plus the bus for commuting. But I also have an annual BCycle membership that I intend to renew when it expires, because while its utility for me has not been frequent, I have found it pleasantly useful probably twenty times this year, and urgently necessary another ten or so.

Edited to add what was supposed to have been my main point:

Bikeshare programs are not really well suited to being whole-commute solutions for a huge number of people. But a dense network of well-stocked stations can still be wonderful (and well worth the typical subsidization cost) for a downtown, especially when combined with good bike infrastructure. A visitor staying at a downtown hotel could access the whole downtown area with ease, and even go for a casual bike ride along the bayou. A suburbanite in town for an evening could leave the car in one spot for the evening. And a bike-owning bike commuter can have the option of one-way, lock-free trips, which is more handy than you might think. (Example: I wouldn't ride a bike to a a fancy dress-up event, but I rode BCycles home from three separate weddings this year.)

Agree with the value proposition you summarized for BCycles. More like a Uber/Lyft alternative when feasible. 

However most of the concerns I have when riding my own bike persist when using BCycles. e.g. security. I am very hesitant to sign up when I read BCycle users would be responsible for "$1200 plus sales tax" for a lost bike. My $300 folding bike rides better than them. 

10 hours ago, chempku said:

I always think the idea of prioritizing BCyle over other private bicycle infra (e.g. safer/more reliable bike parking) is so underwhelming, comparing to the vision from cycling advocates. There are only ~10 bicycles/e-bikes per station. Had there be massive bike commutes, BCycles will never fulfill the demand. 

I always don't get the idea why the city keep promoting the cost-ineffective BCycle while there is still no reliable way to track the availbaility of bicycle parking/bike racks. 

Anyone agrees with me? 

It seems to me that it wouldn't take too much money and effort to pair bCycle locations with regular bike racks.  They could be built onto the other side of the rack with lots of space, like above, or extended lengthwise if it's on a sidewalk.

Perhaps the thought shouldn't be "Put bike rental docks around town" and instead should be "Put bicycle oases around town."  Places where people who choose to cycle can know there is safe harbor, whether they rent a bike by the hour, or own one of their own.

I lived a couple of blocks from one once.  It was staffed, included a shower, a repair shop, and bike storage for people who lived in apartments nearby.  It was owned by the parks department, but funded by McDonald's in exchange for naming rights.

I think all of that is a little ambitious for Houston at this point in its evolution.  But I don't see why amenities for non-renters couldn't be included with or near the bCycle stations to make them bike islands.

FWIW, there's a new (to me) public bicycle rack across the street from the one pictured above at One Shell Plaza.  There was an electric scooter locked to it when I took the picture.

I'm frequently surprised by how much bCycles get used.  Sometimes I see entire groups of friends, or families using them.  I wonder if there's some public information about use.

As for tracking the availability of public bicycle parking, is that a thing?  Is there a system the city can buy, or is it something that has to still be invented?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, editor said:

It seems to me that it wouldn't take too much money and effort to pair bCycle locations with regular bike racks.  They could be built onto the other side of the rack with lots of space, like above, or extended lengthwise if it's on a sidewalk.

Perhaps the thought shouldn't be "Put bike rental docks around town" and instead should be "Put bicycle oases around town."  Places where people who choose to cycle can know there is safe harbor, whether they rent a bike by the hour, or own one of their own.

I lived a couple of blocks from one once.  It was staffed, included a shower, a repair shop, and bike storage for people who lived in apartments nearby.  It was owned by the parks department, but funded by McDonald's in exchange for naming rights.

I think all of that is a little ambitious for Houston at this point in its evolution.  But I don't see why amenities for non-renters couldn't be included with or near the bCycle stations to make them bike islands.

FWIW, there's a new (to me) public bicycle rack across the street from the one pictured above at One Shell Plaza.  There was an electric scooter locked to it when I took the picture.

I'm frequently surprised by how much bCycles get used.  Sometimes I see entire groups of friends, or families using them.  I wonder if there's some public information about use.

As for tracking the availability of public bicycle parking, is that a thing?  Is there a system the city can buy, or is it something that has to still be invented?

Citi bike in NYC publish data like this pretty often AFAIK. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Texasota said:

I think editor is referring to public bike parking for privately owned bikes, not Citi Bike stations.

That would be incredibly difficult to track because it's so decentralized.

Technology could help. Maybe the city could incentivice building the "safe harbors" bike racks that with security cameras equipped. This should be feasible at least for some store fronts since they may need security cameras anyway even without the racks. Then the bicycles can be counted over time via AI. Just like what has been done to track the railway crossing blockages. 

Or build some Netherlands style bike parking at key transit stations, charge a fee, so that whoever want to commute with their fancy bikes have the peace of mind. Data can also be acquired this way. 

Edited by chempku

18 hours ago, BEES?! said:

I do agree we should be installing more bike parking etc. though, for people’s private bikes. It would be really cool to see something like what they have in Tokyo.
Though we’re more security-conscious so that would be a tough sell in the US. We don’t even really do coin lockers anymore :/

Or something like this.  https://www.ooneepod.com/

Oonee+Atlantic+Terminal+Night.jpeg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Texasota said:

Interesting that you mentioned that "The cost IS an issue for people whose only option is to cycle to work" as a negative about bike share and are now suggesting charging a fee for bike parking. 

The profiles for cyclists can be more diverse than the profiles for drivers. The needs for cyclists can also be quite diverse.

When I say charging a fee for bike parking, I am under the context of how to potentially gather data for private bike parking. A fee could be required to fund tracking and related infrastructure, even if it is only attractive to a small group of users, it's still possible to apply statistics to draw some conclusions about entire cyclist population. 

When I say cost can be an issue for docked bike-share, I was saying it can be the challenge to scale cheaply, to become an mainstream commute option in cities like Houston. Being attractive to a small group of users may not be enough. 

On 1/12/2023 at 5:08 PM, chempku said:

Why not do  both (as we have indeed been doing)?

37 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Looks good. Other bike sharing programs like citibike thrive when they work well with public transpotation. 

I am glad the officials clearly know the limitations of docked bike sharing. As reported: 

”The existing system is used mostly recreationally, bike sharing officials have said, with locations such as Herman Park and Buffalo Bayou Park along Sabine Street as the most heavily-used stations. “ "Metro’s chief financial officer, said the current system, when fully operational, costs about $80,000 a month, with only a fraction of that coming from the rental costs or annual memberships." "To trim costs, 75 of the 153 kiosks were turned off in November, largely reducing the system to its core around downtown, Midtown and Montrose."

For those who posted in this forum arguing if BCycle can be used cost-effectively as a mainstream commute option, this is a good read. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, chempku said:

Looks good. Other bike sharing programs like citibike thrive when they work well with public transpotation. 

I am glad the officials clearly know the limitations of docked bike sharing. As reported: 

”The existing system is used mostly recreationally, bike sharing officials have said, with locations such as Herman Park and Buffalo Bayou Park along Sabine Street as the most heavily-used stations. “ "Metro’s chief financial officer, said the current system, when fully operational, costs about $80,000 a month, with only a fraction of that coming from the rental costs or annual memberships." "To trim costs, 75 of the 153 kiosks were turned off in November, largely reducing the system to its core around downtown, Midtown and Montrose."

For those who posted in this forum arguing if BCycle can be used cost-effectively as a mainstream commute option, this is a good read. 

I guess my only fear is how much they are going to cut the system down. Right now about half the stations are shut down.

2 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I guess my only fear is how much they are going to cut the system down. Right now about half the stations are shut down.

If they would redirect the fund to improve multimodal transit in other more efficient ways, I'd be glad. 

If article summarized the numbers correctly, that's $80 per bike per month, or nearly $1k per bike per year. 

• Like 2

I watched the Capital Planning Committee Meeting. It does not appear METRO would cut any stations at the moment. The presentation focused on how METRO could use Bcycle as an outlet for first/last mile connections with their riders. Now it could change, but I believe this a great thing for Bcycle. They obviously need help (the current 70 station shutdown must be addressed), and METRO can give them the necessary help. 

• Like 5

In terms of regular commuting, it really only works when the stations are really densely packed together and there is a good network of safe bike routes. 

Right now, the most used stations are located closest to the safest bike infrastructure, most of which is currently more geared (heh) toward recreation than commuting.

To that end, I would be cautious about the "equitability" approach. Bikeable neighborhoods like 3rd Ward and 2nd Ward should absolutely be more highly served by BCycle. But 5th Ward, Northside Village, etc. should prioritize the infrastructure first, in my opinion.

I also think that a Metro takeover could be particularly beneficial if they improved and streamlined the fare system. Maybe a $5 day pass can get you unlimited transit rides and unlimited 30min BCycle rides?

• Like 2

Oh dang, you beat me to it! This was on their board meeting the other day and I was fixing to post it, haha! 

I think this will probably shape up to be a good thing, tbh. Metro seems pretty competent overall IMO and them taking over bike sharing and refocusing it as a first and last mile solution to work in tandem with the overall transit system sound really reasonable. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Houston BCycle set to raise prices, close more stations as bike sharing transitions to Metro

The nonprofit that operates the BCycle system of bikes available for checkout at kiosks around the city, “has been unable to complete a partnership agreement,” with Metropolitan Transit Authority, bike share board chairwoman and interim CEO Maya Ford said in an update. Specifically, Ford said Metro has confirmed it would not provide any of the $500,000 transit officials approved to transition bike sharing into the transit agency’s operations.

hmm the title of the article is confusing. It sounds like METRO and BCycle are no longer in agreements. So it is not really a transition to METRO, but it is how the nonprofit is able to survive with not being able to reach an agreement with METRO. 

"The nonprofit that operates the BCycle system of bikes available for checkout at kiosks around the city, “has been unable to complete a partnership agreement,” with Metropolitan Transit Authority, bike share board chairwoman and interim CEO Maya Ford said in an update. Specifically, Ford said Metro has confirmed it would not provide any of the $500,000 transit officials approved to transition bike sharing into the transit agency’s operations.

WTF!? I read the article and I'm amazed at the disconnect between the two groups. In my opinion this falls on METRO not properly communicating it's intentions. 

Bike and transit officials, however, have different views of what the agreement, and the $500,000, were meant to do.

“Our intent has been to work with Houston Bike Share on a transitional window as Metro creates a bike sharing program, and not simply hand over $500,000,” Metro spokesman Jerome Gray said in an email.

The first step in Metro paying for anything or reimbursing the nonprofit is having an agreement and the proper paperwork in place, Ramabhadran said, noting that Metro's taxpayer-generated money comes with a lot of conditions.

"We have to dot the I's and cross the T's," he said. "We cannot just hand over taxpayer money. It is not a blank check."

Metro officials say they still are assessing the system and developing a plan for the new bike share program. Officials have said the aim, once it is a part of Metro, is to provide convenient connections to transit or small trips between where someone can easily walk and the choice of driving or transit.

"By no means is this conversation closed," Ramabhadran said of the partnership with Houston Bike Share, including Metro covering some costs or assuming responsibility for some operations. "But it has to work within the limitations of what a public agency can do."

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1

"Four formerly suspended BCycle stations are back in use in Houston's Midtown area following a partnership between Houston Bike Share—the nonprofit that operates Houston BCycle—and the Midtown Management District.

The stations are located at the following locations:

• Milam Street at Webster Street
  • Ensemble/Houston Community College rail stop
  • Austin Street at Gray Street
  • La Branch Street at Alabama Street

BCycle officials first announced the stations were back in operation at the end of March. As part of the agreement, the Midtown Management District has agreed to provide $7,500 in quarterly funding to keep the stations running in 90-day intervals."

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/transportation/2023/04/13/4-suspended-bcycle-stations-reactivated-following-financial-support-from-midtown-district/

• Like 3

BCycle has 150 stations, great branding, an awesome social media presence, and a proven track record.

Metro is going to take 43 years to extend a light rail line to the airport.

So yeah, obviously, let's definitely make Metro in charge of all the public bikes in the city.

• Like 3