Vines On Highway 59

kbates2

On 5/17/2021 at 11:38 AM, hindesky said:

I took a pic of the vines near Montrose bridge and yes, they are very dead. I also took one of the entrance of Rice and they look like they are coming back. Don't know if they are the same species plus the ones at Rice have access to more moisture vs. the ones on the highway.

LM87XHk.jpg

7E2Mh8z.jpg

You may be right. I wrote off some Star jasmine and when I checked closely greenery was sprouting. Same with many of the gardenias. So hopefully you are correct.

• Like 1

@hindesky on the other side of the freeway at that same bridge, they've waited so long, you can see greenery sprouting at the bottom and underneath the middle portion of the vines. Its just the top that needs to come off. But if we're seeing green already, especially with all this raining, I would probably just wait it out at this point. 

My question is, there is substantive growth happening at the bottom of the vines/coming out of the ground, like you can see in the first photo but on a bigger scale, at further down 59 in the southern direction. Now did they traditionally prune those? Cuz I don't remember that being there.

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to Vines On Highway 59
  • 3 months later...
20 hours ago, kennyc05 said:

Yeah true! How is it that vines up north don't die in harsh conditions but these did?

Different vines up north? Theses will probably grow back from the roots if those were deep enough. We had vines that looked really dead on a brick wall grow back  after the freeze, and vigorously, but they may have been in a more protected area.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kennyc05 said:

Yeah true! How is it that vines up north don't die in harsh conditions but these did?

Vines up North are better adapted to cold weather. Those variants would probably have a hard time surviving down here.

• Like 4

On 5/17/2021 at 11:29 AM, ttuchris said:

Big wish, but the lights on the bridges need a lot of work again.  I had some friends visiting from Dallas.  They thought the bridges were cool, but the lights were half burnt out, strobing, and out of sync.  They should probably just turn them off again.  

I couldn't agree more. Something that should be a major feature of the city just looks like a massive embarrassment. It bums me out every time I drive down 59 at night, they just look so janky. If the Montrose Management District still existed, I'd say they should sue for their money back from the company that installed them. They worked for barely a week after the Super Bowl, and then barely a week again after what seemed like a push to fix them a few months later. Some of the bridges have literally one or two working lights left on them.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Andrew Ewert said:

I couldn't agree more. Something that should be a major feature of the city just looks like a massive embarrassment. It bums me out every time I drive down 59 at night, they just look so janky. If the Montrose Management District still existed, I'd say they should sue for their money back from the company that installed them. They worked for barely a week after the Super Bowl, and then barely a week again after what seemed like a push to fix them a few months later. Some of the bridges have literally one or two working lights left on them.

They didn't even work then!

23 hours ago, Andrew Ewert said:

I spoke with the head of the company and he said the plan is to have all the bridges repaired by the end of the year. Either way it’s ridiculous how neglected we allow things to get before we do anything about it. If you go to any city considered a tourist destination, those cities are vigilant in maintenance. Yet we want to be a tourist destination how exactly? We can’t even get our sidewalks up to par because we are still so concerned with cars.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Andrew Ewert said:

I want to know what they're going to do to repair it? Is it just going to end up being janky a week after they "fix" it, or is it going to be made to actually last?

I think the best bet is that we bombard the city and Mayor about this issue. How nice would it be to have these repaired right now DURING the World Series!? This city doesn't get the memo sometimes. And we had the World Cup committee here 🤦‍♂️

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 5