Abandoned ROW Near Highway 59

IronTiger

I believe that it is this railroad, because the roads still have the remnants (such as a "patch" on Kirby) and some of it has been converted to HOV. However, what about the rest of the line? Was there ever a plan to convert it to METRO? And where exactly are the pictures taken from in the shots? Or is it even the same RR? And how far did it go into Houston?

I believe that it is this railroad, because the roads still have the remnants (such as a "patch" on Kirby) and some of it has been converted to HOV. However, what about the rest of the line? Was there ever a plan to convert it to METRO? And where exactly are the pictures taken from in the shots? Or is it even the same RR? And how far did it go into Houston?

The Westpark Tollway was built over this ROW outside of 610. The ROW is still mostly abandoned inside 610; I think a dog park was built on part of it, and I think some of it was eaten up when 59 was widened. There's still a utility easement along this ROW, so it will probably remain undeveloped for the indefinite future.

It originally went all the way into the downtown area. The section east of Kirby was abandoned decades ago to make way for the proposed Southwest Freeway. After that, rail traffic was diverted onto the north-south line that runs through Bellaire to get into Houston. A rarely used section remained in place from that junction east almost to Kirby.... I remember years ago some company using that stretch for unloading gravel out of gondola cars that would be stored on that track. Also, it was where the Barnum & Bailey's circus train was stored while it was in town (across the freeway at the Summit). That stretch was abandoned when they started developing all those strip malls between 59 and Westpark in the Greenway area (probably 10 years ago?).

Then the main section, that was still being used for through rail traffic between Bellaire Junction and Eagle Lake out west, was torn up at the time the photos were taken. The top photo in your link was taken from where Rice crossed the tracks... there was a small siding there. Most people will recognize the big Wald moving & storage neon sign that used to be kind of a landmark. The other two photos were taken inside the loop, east of the junction with the main line (Bellaire Junction).... the vicinity of Buffalo Spdwy. etc.

It originally went all the way into the downtown area. The section east of Kirby was abandoned decades ago to make way for the proposed Southwest Freeway. After that, rail traffic was diverted onto the north-south line that runs through Bellaire to get into Houston. A rarely used section remained in place from that junction east almost to Kirby.... I remember years ago some company using that stretch for unloading gravel out of gondola cars that would be stored on that track. Also, it was where the Barnum & Bailey's circus train was stored while it was in town (across the freeway at the Summit). That stretch was abandoned when they started developing all those strip malls between 59 and Westpark in the Greenway area (probably 10 years ago?).

Then the main section, that was still being used for through rail traffic between Bellaire Junction and Eagle Lake out west, was torn up at the time the photos were taken. The top photo in your link was taken from where Rice crossed the tracks... there was a small siding there. Most people will recognize the big Wald moving & storage neon sign that used to be kind of a landmark. The other two photos were taken inside the loop, east of the junction with the main line (Bellaire Junction).... the vicinity of Buffalo Spdwy. etc.

I vaguely recall seeing digitized maps that show every segment of freight rail in Houston that there ever was, and there was a segment running north/south between Memorial Heights and the line that you're talking about, just off of Montrose. Obviously it isn't there anymore, and once you get south of the old Robinson warehouse site, there isn't much physical evidence that would suggest the precise alignment. Grant Street kind-of sort-of looks like it might have followed a rail alignment at one time, given its arc a few blocks north of Westheimer, but that's pretty much all I have to go on.

If there had been a line in that area, it would've had to have been abandoned a very long time ago, while Montrose was still being built out.

quote name='TheNiche' date='Saturday, May 16th, 2009 @ 10:06am' post='322396']

I vaguely recall seeing digitized maps that show every segment of freight rail in Houston that there ever was, and there was a segment running north/south between Memorial Heights and the line that you're talking about, just off of Montrose. Obviously it isn't there anymore, and once you get south of the old Robinson warehouse site, there isn't much physical evidence that would suggest the precise alignment. Grant Street kind-of sort-of looks like it might have followed a rail alignment at one time, given its arc a few blocks north of Westheimer, but that's pretty much all I have to go on.

If there had been a line in that area, it would've had to have been abandoned a very long time ago, while Montrose was still being built out.

This map shows a little of that stub line coming south from the Robinson Public Warehouse down to about Pacific St. and then a portion of it near were the present Spur 521 is located.

post-3141-1242525529_thumb.jpg[

Part of the ROW will be used for the University Line. Not very much, however. As I recall, it will only be the segment in between about Weslayan and 610.

The U-Line will cross at Cummins (and therefore fall into the old railroad ROW near Weslayan) and follow the old railroad ROW to the Hillcroft Transit Center.

quote name='TheNiche' date='Saturday, May 16th, 2009 @ 10:06am' post='322396']

This map shows a little of that stub line coming south from the Robinson Public Warehouse down to about Pacific St. and then a portion of it near were the present Spur 521 is located.

post-3141-1242525529_thumb.jpg[

Interesting that Shepherd is spelled Sheppard and Hermann is spelled Herman on the map.

I'm looking where the spur went down to Rice. From my estimations, it would parallel (if not run on) Kirby. But that's where Rice Village is...and Rice Village has been there since the 20s.

The Village didn't start developing until the late 1930s. The first commercial building was Rice Supermarket, built in 1937 at the SW corner of Rice Blvd & Kelvin; Pier One currently occupies the building, and it has been remodeled beyond recognition.

The rail line in question was the San Antonio & Aransas Pass mainline, later subsumed into Southern Pacific.

Here's a better map:

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/houston_sw21.jpg

It shows the "SAP" line heading west and it shows a spur to Rice Institute, which I didn't know existed. At this date (1921) the Montrose line has been severed in the middle. You can see remnants both north and south.

This 1913 map shows the full Montrose line:

http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/arc/maps/images/map0435.jpg

Given that I have a difficult time discerning old, poorly-labeled Houston maps, it's pretty obvious I'm not a local. :)

Now, about this: where were the pictures taken? I've looked for WALD on Google Maps...no luck!

This photo was taken on Westpark at South Rice, looking East towards 610. The WALD sign and warehouse were demolished a few years ago.

Edit: If this better helps to orient you, there's currently a big Sam's store just to the right of where the picture was taken.

• The title was changed to Abandoned ROW Near Highway 59

Archived