I drove by with the wife yesterday on our way to Huynh.

for context, we live pretty much in between the CVS on Harrisburg/Lockwood, and the CVS on Lawndale/Garland.

she was thrilled for some reason that this was going to be a CVS. 

I think it's a great addition to the area, lots of bars, some really great restaurants, but some regular day to day needs are good to have to help make this area a legitimate neighborhood.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1

Generally I think painting brick is kind of a sin, but this place could really use it. With all the various patch jobs on it, it looks pretty janky.

I also think they'd be missing a huge opportunity if they didn't use that huge expanse of brick wall fronting Emancipation for an EaDo-worthy mural. Could define the neighborhood.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Andrew Ewert said:

Generally I think painting brick is kind of a sin, but this place could really use it. With all the various patch jobs on it, it looks pretty janky.

I also think they'd be missing a huge opportunity if they didn't use that huge expanse of brick wall fronting Emancipation for an EaDo-worthy mural. Could define the neighborhood.

IDK, I don't think every single building in this neighborhood needs a mural.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 2:44 PM, 77011transplant said:

Read some comments on Nextdoor about this and you would think a brothel was moving in 🙄

Those are the same people that still thought a Sprouts was going in, even though I posted a link to this HAIF topic every single time someone posted about it over the last three years.

Even in the post you referenced there was still a “I thought this was going to be a Sprouts?” comment. 

1 hour ago, thedistrict84 said:

Those are the same people that still thought a Sprouts was going in, even though I posted a link to this HAIF topic every single time someone posted about it over the last three years.

Even in the post you referenced there was still a “I thought this was going to be a Sprouts?” comment. 

Every. Damn. Time. It's not going to be a Sprouts people.

I will try to give people the benefit of the doubt that it's more a symptom of the neighborhood needs a better grocery store than Polk Kroger. 

• 2 weeks later...

The parking/drive through setup is kind of interesting. I wonder how much room there will be for the people that park across the aisle from the drive through to back out. 

Also, looking like no direct entrance from the garage to the other retail spots, which I think is kind of good because it forces the exterior-facing entrances to look nicer since they are the main entrance. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, hindesky said:

48 parking spots inside the 1st floor building and the drive thru comes in from Emancipation.

GCWCiCE.png

I think the Emancipation entrance might cause some traffic problems. Emancipation along that stretch is a fairly busy road, and having people slow down to turn into a narrow entrance—or worse, trying to cross traffic on a left turn from the opposite lane—is going to make things interesting.

The only practical solution is making Emancipation one lane in each direction with a center turn lane, but I don’t think there are any plans to that effect.

13 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

I think the Emancipation entrance might cause some traffic problems. Emancipation along that stretch is a fairly busy road, and having people slow down to turn into a narrow entrance—or worse, trying to cross traffic on a left turn from the opposite lane—is going to make things interesting.

The only practical solution is making Emancipation one lane in each direction with a center turn lane, but I don’t think there are any plans to that effect.

Shouldn't be too bad. All of the signaled intersections have unprotected lefts and two lanes, so giant backups don't really happen. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wilcal said:

Shouldn't be too bad. All of the signaled intersections have unprotected lefts and two lanes, so giant backups don't really happen. 

I live in the immediate area and drive through this intersection at least once on most days. Emancipation is a higher volume road here than Polk, and that will be even more true once the I-45 reroute construction kicks off and blocks access to downtown on Polk.

The CVS will directly lead to at least a moderate increase in traffic volume at this intersection. Having an entrance to a drive thru only accessible directly from Emancipation will also lead to a significant increase in left turning vehicles heading southwest on Emancipation, and the close proximity of the driveway to the intersection with Polk makes it even more problematic. 

I’m afraid that you are greatly overestimating the driving abilities of average Houston commuters/drivers if you don’t think this is a problem. And, for the record, I’m more concerned about safety and the potential for accidents than I am traffic backup.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2021 at 2:40 PM, thedistrict84 said:

I live in the immediate area and drive through this intersection at least once on most days. Emancipation is a higher volume road here than Polk, and that will be even more true once the I-45 reroute construction kicks off and blocks access to downtown on Polk.

I don't disagree. Emancipation is also four lanes versus the two on Polk. 

The CVS will directly lead to at least a moderate increase in traffic volume at this intersection.

With Polk and Emancipation already having a decent amount of car traffic in the area, it probably won't generate as many "extra" trips as it will produce an additional stop on a trip. I also drive through this intersection frequently and have never in my knowledge had to wait for an extra light cycle to get through it. Maybe heading westbound on Polk and there was a freak long line of traffic coming eastbound that prevented the unprotected left turn.

Having an entrance to a drive thru only accessible directly from Emancipation will also lead to a significant increase in left turning vehicles heading southwest on Emancipation, and the close proximity of the driveway to the intersection with Polk makes it even more problematic. 

It is about 145-150' from the intersection, which really isn't too bad. That is slightly more than the CVS at Montrose and Richmond for example:

DLWLIYu.png

The CVS at Elgin and Fannin has an entrance that is only 85' from Fannin.

But also remember that the alternative, if they weren't allowed to turn left from Emancipation and had to enter from St Charles would be that they are making an unprotected left at Polk. Yes, at a signaled intersection, but still completely unprotected and presents the same safety issues for pedestrians.

I’m afraid that you are greatly overestimating the driving abilities of average Houston commuters/drivers if you don’t think this is a problem. And, for the record, I’m more concerned about safety and the potential for accidents than I am traffic backup.

I do understand that the danger of curb cuts like this produce, but it is at least going to be one-way traffic only. I think the unprotected left from Emancipation into the garage is safer than an unprotected left from the garage onto Emancipation. I don't think that developers when re-using historical buildings get a lot of sway sometimes. It would have been really sad to see this torn down and a normal CVS... which would have still had an unprotected left from Emancipation in roughly the same place. 

• Like 2

Took a shot of the parking garage from the St. Charles side, and the entrance from Emancipation is much larger than this side. It is wide enough inside that I think it should be fine for the drive-through and cars backing out of spots.

3mj1Q8T.jpg

I was actually planning on driving through from the Emancipation side, but they actually have a fence there, but it has fallen down from the storms this morning I'm guessing. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, cspwal said:

So does this mean that Lovett is moving into the building they just renovated? 

Thats what I was going to title this but then I wasn't sure so I didn't, the leasing sign made me think it might not be. Their current office at 1520 Oliver St. is 2 story and probably more room than this has.

LcAHwBn.png

On 12/4/2021 at 2:08 AM, cspwal said:

So does this mean that Lovett is moving into the building they just renovated? 

Yes. Per my friends working there, they are moving their offices into this building.

I asked how they differentiate between this building and Post HTX internally. Apparently Post is Post and this is the "new office."

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Mixed-Use Building At Polk & Emancipation (Dowling) In East Downtown
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...