Interesting. When all these mix-used projects were announced, I figured at least one proposal had to die, and this was the one I guessed wouldn't make it. Opps. Now this one and BLVD have started, while Pavillions and West Ave are way along. That just leaves Oaks District and Regent Square, neither one of which seem like they are going to fail at this point.

Another note High Street is where Central Ford used to be, so the description in the title is incorrect. There an article on Swamplot right now. The address for this development is 4100 Westheimer. I've not found the location of Highland Tower yet other than it will be between Highland Village and Target on San Felipe.

You need to make one more change. The thread is now called "Highland Tower Not High Street", but the thread description still says, "Former car dealership on Westheimer" which is not where Highland Tower is going to be built. Highland Tower will be north of the former car dealership at the NEC of Bancroft at Bettis.

bpe3

You need to make one more change. The thread is now called "Highland Tower Not High Street", but the thread description still says, "Former car dealership on Westheimer" which is not where Highland Tower is going to be built. Highland Tower will be north of the former car dealership at the NEC of Bancroft at Bettis.

bpe3

So it has been written; so it has been done. :)

• 1 month later...
dangit, I thought this was the highstreet thread. the wiki has them mixed up.

It's jesse jones.

Here we go again. High Street and Highland Tower have been the most confusing topics to keep straight.

I guessed Jesse Jones prior to reading your response.

• Like 1

Here we go again. High Street and Highland Tower have been the most confusing topics to keep straight.

I guessed Jesse Jones prior to reading your response.

It's clear in my head which projects are which. It's the threads that are messed up. Oh well. I'm just interested in High Street for now. Been by lately?

It's clear in my head which projects are which. It's the threads that are messed up. Oh well. I'm just interested in High Street for now. Been by lately?

Drove by on Sunday and it looked like they had lots of pipes sticking up from the ground -- must be about ready for some foundation work?

Both Highland Tower and Sonoma, in the Village advertise that construction is to begin summer 2008, so the pipes poking out of the groud might very well be High St.

I could be wrong, but isn't there a building(s) between Highstreet and Highland? I thought they were on two distinct pieces of land, with Highland being up the street a ways? If so, we'd be able to distinguish between the two projects when looking at them from the street.

I could be wrong, but isn't there a building(s) between Highstreet and Highland? I thought they were on two distinct pieces of land, with Highland being up the street a ways? If so, we'd be able to distinguish between the two projects when looking at them from the street.

High Street starts at Westheimer and goes north to Bettis. Highland Tower is on the north side of Bettis. River Oaks District Phase I will be adjacent to High Street, on the west.

Now remember, he's interested in the High Street Project. This is the Highland Tower Project site. :wacko:

The pipes were definitely on the High Street site. I can't say one way or the other about the Highland Tower site -- I was on Westheimer, and Highland Tower is set back quite a bit from Westheimer... no?

The pipes were definitely on the High Street site. I can't say one way or the other about the Highland Tower site -- I was on Westheimer, and Highland Tower is set back quite a bit from Westheimer... no?

Yeah, I think you're right. Thanks for clarifying what you saw. It's good news.

ED: Did we ever bring the news up that HIGH STREET secured financing?

http://recenter.tamu.edu/mnews/newsSearch....ON&CID=2042

Edited by lockmat

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I don't ever remember seeing a site plan for this. Anyway, here it is...

http://www.trademarkproperty.com/images/Si...Plan3-17-08.pdf

So it will be right next to Westcreek?

So it will be right next to Westcreek?

Gah, wait, I just read this.

Construction company Linbeck is building High Street, which will be on nearly 7 acres on the north side of Westheimer between the West Loop and Highland Village where Central Ford used to be.

This is the exact location of Westcreek!?!?!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This might as well be merged with the existing High Street thread since the entire piece is solely about that project.

Curious as to what will become of the first structure that was started. Looked like they had finished putting up the building's framework and were about to start working on the individual floors.

I dont understand why some of these are being pushed back. High Street should have continued. You are serving a clientel that is not truly being affected by the current economy.

Upset the Heights Blvd project couldnt get financing. Bull ____ if you ask me. Thats the problem with all the money used to bail out these banks. Instead of handing out loans, banks are using that 700billion dollars to buy more banks, and that is not what the bailout money was intended for.

High Street should have continued. You are serving a clientele that is not truly being affected by the current economy.

How so? I would have thought most people are affected in some manner, even the target audience here, which is presumably River Oaks/Afton Oaks/Galleria residents.

What I don't understand is how it would be canceled if construction had already started.

This thing getting postponed/cancelled is a good thing. We do not need any more retail in the inner loop and with Houston Pavilions going up and starting off with a good start, it should help centralize traffic and retailers back to downtown vs. sprawling it out all throughout inner loop houston. I think if this thing gets going in 2010 or 2011 it should do fine, but this is actually the best thing for Houston Development.

That's the thing... I think most here do not think HP is doing well at all. I sure don't. I hope it does but 1 man cannot stop a speeding train. I just purchased a pair of $1700 shoes and bag for my wife. I think it would be nice and certainly more convenient to have somewhere for her to shop instead of going to the same places in the galleria, highland village, and uptown park. From my POV it would definitely add to the skyline and to me that is the saddest part... that it's not going forward in its construction and we, like Chicago, have suffered our first (I think it's our first) half-built highrise...

ugh. ugh.

That's the thing... I think most here do not think HP is doing well at all. I sure don't. I hope it does but 1 man cannot stop a speeding train. I just purchased a pair of $1700 shoes and bag for my wife. I think it would be nice and certainly more convenient to have somewhere for her to shop instead of going to the same places in the galleria, highland village, and uptown park. From my POV it would definitely add to the skyline and to me that is the saddest part... that it's not going forward in its construction and we, like Chicago, have suffered our first (I think it's our first) half-built highrise...

ugh. ugh.

There is no half-built highrise. The building under construction was 4 stories. I don't think that would be considered a high-rise even in Dallas (which FWIW, DOES have at least one half-built high-rise; I guess Dallas really does get all the cool projects, don't they?). We really are a joke of a city. Dallas gets cool half-built highrises... We're stuck with a measly half-built 4-story building.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

There is no half-built highrise. The building under construction was 4 stories. I don't think that would be considered a high-rise even in Dallas (which FWIW, DOES have at least one half-built high-rise; I guess Dallas really does get all the cool projects, don't they?). We really are a joke of a city. Dallas gets cool half-built highrises... We're stuck with a measly half-built 4-story building.

What on earth does Dallas have to do with anything here?