29 members have voted

1. 1. H A I F meetup - when and where?

• Downtown - weeknight
    • Downtown - weekend
    • Midtown - weeknight
    • Midtown - weekend
    • Montrose - weeknight
    • Montrose - weekend

When yall see a HAIFer walk up to the bar/table...are yall pretty acurate as to who you're thinking it is? Are preconceptions shattered? Anyone totally different in person than online?

That'a a good question. I don't have a good answer for it, since I had no idea at all what people would look like or how they would carry themselves. I wasn't really surprised by anyone. A lot probably goes unsaid, too. Not sure I would want to know what people are thinking about me at first blush, lol! Not much mystery, tonight we were the only people in the joint. Walking in, it's like hey! how's everyone, now where's my drink. Then we just settle in. Got great treatment too. The Happy Days is a great little place.

Okie to answer your question, I think these get togethers are pretty much random. I've only been on the HAIF a few months, so I only have recent history. The last couple came together easily because a few of us either lived near the bar, or wanted to check out a new place.

And oh yeah, the group tonight rocked! TJ, I want a ride in that Olds!

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okie to answer your question, I think these get togethers are pretty much random. I've only been on the HAIF a few months, so I only have recent history. The last couple came together easily because a few of us either lived near the bar, or wanted to check out a new place.

Disappointed that I missed tonight, but I think my g/f is even more so - she really wants to meet the posters of "that message board I'm always checking." Next time we will find a way! Sounds like we missed out on a good time...

A visitor:

Provided sufficient patience, the visitor will shake your hand.

TJones won't like this one bit, but it was suggested by Red that the next HAIF get-together ought to be at a ship channel locale. I second the motion and move that it be an outdoors BYOB event on account of that actual built-up venues tend to suck. I know the channel pretty well and know of a spot or two where we may not only be able to casually watch the ship traffic but get some mini-tsunami action if we're lucky. A carpool may need to be organized, however.

Any interest?

concur. very good treatment.. want me to make it strong? damn she did.

So true, I left just after 4 of her drinks and was feeling Happy. Loved the place; To have a lounge all for ourselves on a Saturday night in Houston was very cool. It was a shame I had to cut it a little early.

Happy Days Lounge Cover - $0

4 Bacardi & Coke (Not including tips) - $20

Meeting your favorite posters of The HAIF - Priceless

Great to mee you all!

I would do a ship channel field trip. How very Houston. For those of you not sufficiently impressed with Niche, I watched him do a free hand cocktial napkin map of the channel (part of it.) I would completetly trust his judgment on a spot.

Bringing Red and Niche together was worth my headache this morning. Not to mention getting to meet Ricco, Chamo, Bryan, TJ and Red. Oh, and Red's ass-grabbing friend, too. You two are quite the dynamic duo.

It was fun. We owned the place! Niche's drawing was quite impressive, down the details of train tracks, turning basins, etc. I am up for another meeting, any time, any place... I'll be driving my "What is this?! - Back to the Future?" car, as crunchtastic inquired... Viva MR2!

I would do a ship channel field trip. How very Houston. For those of you not sufficiently impressed with Niche, I watched him do a free hand cocktial napkin map of the channel (part of it.) I would completetly trust his judgment on a spot.

Bringing Red and Niche together was worth my headache this morning. Not to mention getting to meet Ricco, Chamo, Bryan, TJ and Red. Oh, and Red's ass-grabbing friend, too. You two are quite the dynamic duo.

Hey, I didn't grab anything, I swear it !!!

Hey, I didn't grab anything, I swear it !!!

I think she may have been talking about someone else, TJ. Crunch, I make no warranties, express or implied, about the behavior of my friends (though the as-grabbing is news to me :o ).

Great time and great people. Great hole in the wall, too. I'm up for the next one....but it has to be another hole. :)

LOL! I knew she wasn;t talkin' about me. The only thing I was opposed to at the bar was the fact that I asked for a Grey Goose and Red Bull, and they seemed to keep forgetting the Red Bull ??!!! I felt like I was getting "bottle service" at The Drake. I was getting triples of Grey Goose for $8, you can't beat that in this town ANYWHERE !!! Oh, and the crowd was a little shady, but all the other drunks in the bar seemed to be good folks. ;)

Definitely another fun gathering - had to cut out a bit early, but managed to get a few photos in...

(for tmariar):

Thanks, Sev!

Sounds like it was a really good time - sorry to have missed it. I'd be down for a ship channel outing, if someone knows of a good place. Isn't that one bar - I think it was called the Athens - closed? I've photographed some bars I'd call Ship Channel bars (like the Harbor Lights, below (just for illustration, not as a suggestion)) but none had a view of the Channel. The BYOB idea is interesting.

I also still want to go to the Silver Slipper, but that and a ship channel outing are obviously not mutually exclusive.

harborlights2.jpg

Your presence was missed!

I'm down for a ship channel outing - isn't Harbor Lights just down the way from where the Port Houston Autotel was?

Didn't know it until I just looked it up, but evidently so. Harbor Lights is 2327 McCarty, and the Autotel was apparently at 1515 McCarty. Sounds like it wasn't the same place, but I do remember seeing a motor court somewhere on McCarty. I wanted to get a photo, but was by myself and was already a little nervous taking pictures of the bars. The Golden Eagle icehouse was at 2114 McCarty, close to Harbor Lights.

I think that area is really interesting, and am sad I missed the discussion this weekend.

just curious...y'all had to have talked to the barkeep about this...but does Happy Days have any patrons other than HAIF??

LOL. last time there were quite a few others. this time we were in the majority. The bartendrix and her hubby(i think) welcomed the business and stated it repeatedly. the buckets of beer always had ice. the drinks were stiff. definitely warrants another visit sometime.

LOL. last time there were quite a few others. this time we were in the majority. The bartendrix and her hubby(i think) welcomed the business and stated it repeatedly. the buckets of beer always had ice. the drinks were stiff. definitely warrants another visit sometime.

For sure - I'll go back this week sometime! Did anyone ever find out her real name? :)

Well, I don't know if she was married or not, but she was definitely attracted to someone at our table. Whether or not that person knew it or not is another matter.

Her name is Sandra and she was awfully friendly to me. When I ordered my first drink she said she was glad I came back and noticed that I got a haircut since the last time we were there, which I thought odd.....

just curious...y'all had to have talked to the barkeep about this...but does Happy Days have any patrons other than HAIF??

Ha. The only other person this time was a Mexican guy who was shooting pool with Red's friend. And then some guy as we were leaving.

She also said that she was from the border (Brownsville/Matamoros area). Very helpful if you need a translation of the messages you find on the bathroom walls..... "La Momia" comes to mind.

Well, I don't know if she was married or not, but she was definitely attracted to someone at our table. Whether or not that person knew it or not is another matter.

Glad you noticed it too......

Glad you noticed it too......

Who was the lucky person ? I totally missed it.

Oh, BTW, Niche, I am TOTALLY down for the Ship Channel. I will concede this time but the next should definately be in at least the Southwestside/Galleria area. I know there are some Holes in the Wall places around there.

Who was the lucky person ? I totally missed it.

Oh, BTW, Niche, I am TOTALLY down for the Ship Channel. I will concede this time but the next should definately be in at least the Southwestside/Galleria area. I know there are some Holes in the Wall places around there.

I don't want to give any names, He/She might want to keep it reserved :ph34r:. A lot happened while you were working the music; By the way, great selections.

Good call on La Mafia too, Musicman.

Archived