Potential Supertall For The Galleria Area

Avossos

BTW, back on topic - the temporary garage ramps also cause me to add credence to the idea that the Capitol Tower will be built. I don't have any way to know the numbers, but logic dictates that mothballing the rest of the building and just operating the parking garage could likely be done economically on its own, without the added drama of demolition.

This is exactly my thought. This is just a whole lot of effort to go to for nothing. So much money being spent for the garage arrangement.

Also,Shanska build the Uptown / Galleria building with 0 tennants... and then they sold it / is now leased. They may have a similar attitude with this building. 6 Houston Center may have adopted the same philosophy. 609 Main probably has someone interested already.

This is off topic, but a Hines employee told me that a building taller than Transco (Williams) is planned for the Galleria...................

This is exactly my thought. This is just a whole lot of effort to go to for nothing. So much money being spent for the garage arrangement.

Also,Shanska build the Uptown / Galleria building with 0 tennants... and then they sold it / is now leased. They may have a similar attitude with this building. 6 Houston Center may have adopted the same philosophy. 609 Main probably has someone interested already.

This is off topic, but a Hines employee told me that a building taller than Transco (Williams) is planned for the Galleria...................

There were plans for a super tall before the recession. Deyaar? I'm not sure, I know it had Dubai connections. Maybe a revival?

There were plans for a super tall before the recession. Deyaar? I'm not sure, I know it had Dubai connections. Maybe a revival?

Mods feel free to split this off to a seperate topic ---

But yes, I waited to say something, but I thought if he is telling me (a very well connected guy to the organization) there is something there. I have no other leads yet, but I will see if I can pry more details out of him later this week. This seems to have been kept very hush however..

April fools?

I'll split the comments on this into a new thread if you can scoop up more info, or if we get another source.

Could this article from 2010 be referring to this hear-say project? Whole Foods is currently sitting at that intersection unless they have another corner planned.

http://www.chron.com/business/real-estate/article/New-skyscraper-could-rise-in-Galleria-area-1555680.php

Mods feel free to split this off to a seperate topic ---

But yes, I waited to say something, but I thought if he is telling me (a very well connected guy to the organization) there is something there. I have no other leads yet, but I will see if I can pry more details out of him later this week. This seems to have been kept very hush however..

although i can't speak as to any possible height i can say that you are hearing correctly....

although i can't speak as to any possible height i can say that you are hearing correctly....

For clarification, you mean he is right that Hines is planning a multitenant office building(I know they have a bunch of BTS's in the area) in Uptown? Don't mean to ask too many questions but do you know of the location or if it'll be mixed use(which would help with the height)? Thanks for the info Swtsig.

One has to take these rumors with several grains of salt..  There have been any number of these rumors over the years.  The link for the topic on the 80-story Deyaar Galleria project is below for reference.  At one point we had a rendering of a supertall adjacent to the Williams Tower, but I can't find it at the minute.  I would imagine that any number of projects are being investigated at any one point, few of which come to fruition.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/14547-deyaar-post-oak-80-stories-maybe/page-5?hl=supertall

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/14547-deyaar-post-oak-80-stories-maybe/

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2008/02/18/story1.html?page=all

Lockmat posted a link on the first page of the Houston Potential thread. it doesn't work anymore. If my memory serves me correctly, it had some white brace around it, going taller than the office space.

Edit: Subdude beat me to it.

FOR the Galleria or in the Galleria area? Thanks

For Uptown / Galleria Area

I can assure y'all that there is a project out there... I don't have a lot of details, but my conversation was about a developing project for this area - not a project that is past or dead.

I am hopeful to get some more information. I will share what I can / when I can :)

Here's the rendering for that project, of course it was bad timing that killed it off (planned in 2008).

01.jpg

http://paulbaut.com/?/prof-projects/Deyaar-Mixed-Use/

There's another rendering different than that too. Not sure if they were the same project with different designs. I think the other one was exactly like one going up in the UAE.

Didn't they fill much of the space in this rendering to the south of the lakes with another apartment project.

I know there is a lot at the corner of Richmond and Post Oak but this tower looks like it is situated closer to where the new apartments have been built.

Didn't they fill much of the space in this rendering to the south of the lakes with another apartment project.

I know there is a lot at the corner of Richmond and Post Oak but this tower looks like it is situated closer to where the new apartments have been built.

you are correct. again, that rendering was for the old 2008 Deyaar project (and i agree Lockmat, im pretty sure there was another rendering floating around with two towers (one being a hotel, the other being office) connected by a skybridge).

one has to wonder where this potential 900+ footer would go. there is the new AmReit plot at San Felipe and Post Oak that had a very tall tower shown in its conceptual renderings. i hope its not too close to Williams Tower, like the Deyaar tower would of been. it would be nice to have one spaced out on the north side to offset the Uptown skyline.

I agree with you cloud 713. I think a supertall on the north end of uptown would be a nice response to Williams/Transco tower.

Sort of supertall bookends.

How about 800 Post Oak at the NWC of Post Oak and Uptown Park?

It is now occupied by a condominium complex called Inverness Townhomes and was recently under contract with a Randall Davis group. I can't recall ever seeing it discussed here, but the deal is mentioned on the HOA website: http://www.invernesstownhomeassociation.com/about-us.html

I am not involved with the deal, but apparently closing did not occur last month and the Purchaser lost its earnest money. It is tough to buy out a condominium complex, but since all the leg work has been done on this, it would be relatively easy for someone to step in and buy it up. I am told that offers have been made and it would be a great location. 

I unfortunately don't have anything new now. But I think I may have developed a relationship that I can use in the future. I did learn that Hines likely not responsible for either of the Super Talls in consideration (downtown or uptown). The uptown supertall has had rumors for awhile now (supposidly) so maybe switg will have more details if this is still alive / what stage of the process it is in. From my understanding, it could take 5+ years from idea to construction / completion of big projects.

- I also found out that Hines is going through an expirement phase with residential. They have an array of projects that they are using as expirements (mostly high end). The success / failure of these will dictate if we see Hines continue / adjust their residential element, or abandon it.

- Hines seems to be unconcerned with the preservation or referbishment of old / historic buildings. The Stowers building next to BG group was supposed to be demolished with the rest of them, but the owner wouldn't sell (thank god). To me, buildings such as Texas Tower are a missed opportunity to build around / restore historic properties.

- Fingers, Midway, and Hines, are of the more highly reputable firms working in Houston right now. They all have family ties (to different degrees) in Houston. City activities such as creating parks and light rail are major factors for investment. If you like light rail or not, this spurs development. I think Houston could go along way to help certain areas by the use of creating parks - the one area in my mind that sticks out to me is the blocks North of MMP. Add a park there + Buffalo Bayou park / hike and bike trail access, you can have a thriving residential and mixed use area!

I hope to have more for everyone in the future. This is all old news really, but I promised I'd share either way.

Archived