The Toyota center may seem not so big on the outside, but people don't realize is that it sinks into the ground like the Astrodome and the Compaq Center. Thats why the Astrodome isn't so tall as the Reliant Stadium.

I think its a real good idea with the Hilton putting pedestrian bridges across to the convention center and the arena. I wonder what someone will do with the patch of grass next to it? I hope somone builds a little pond/reflecting pool/park there.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I really enjoy this building. Honestly I enjoy all 3 of the sports venues.

However, the thing I love about Toyota Center is that you go down to the cheap seats, instead of climbing up. Since you go further away, and then come down to your seats, the perception -- and obviously the reality-- is that you are moving in closer to the action.

That, and my wife and I are big fans of Clutch the Rockets Bear.

I read Clutch's mail every time he posts it. I've sent him a few things, and "he" always replies, but it's never anything that's worth posting. It's usually more along the lines of "Did David Stern know you were going to take his shoe last night, or was that an impromptu thing?"

yeh, i just noticed the neon light tonite on the way home from class. gives those guys haning out in the space station something to look at.

i was on the design team of this arena and still have CAD drawings to all the levels somewhere on my hard-drive. oh...when you there and you're in the bathroom, think of me, i helped with their layouts.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
I saw that yesterday, too. It is cool.

One question: Do they change out the seat cushions or whole seats themselves for Aeros games? They look to be a different color when the ice is out.

Yeah I noticed the color change, too. We have season tickets for the Aeros, but I've never been to a Rockets game in TC. Does it just appear that the color changes because they actually go row by row & lift up/put down all seat cushions before a Rockets game? I have no idea, but I'm sure they do a lot more to get the place 'nice' for the Rockets games than they do for the Aeros. They don't seem to like us hockey fans too much (most likely because there are so few of us) so I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they completely changed cushions. That does seem like a lot of work, though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

“When you move into a building, you immediately realize you could have done things better,” says Rockets CEO Tad Brown. They have retrofitted a number of areas and plan to continue making upgrades including what Fertitta calls a “major overhaul” in the next five years. “We have a lot of ideas and a lot of plans on what we are going to be doing,” Brown says.

What would you like to see done with the arena during the major overhaul?!? 

For me, I would like to see rooftop bar spaces for the upper deck sections and SRO with a view of the event floor below. This has been a trend with venues lately (MSG Skybridge, Fiserv Forum’s Panaroma Club, etc). IMO this could be added to Toyota Center at the top of each of the 4 structural roof support structures at the corners of the arena. Previously, the roof support columns have been a dead area of the venue. In recent years, they’ve been backlit by LED lighting so clearly they’re trying to do something with this dead area (see Astros CF renovation) 

An example: T-Mobile Arena’s rooftop bars. 

[IMG] 

[IMG]