Couple of things:

I don't think the Coyotes will end up moving here since they're already in negotiations with Tempe, Az to build a stadium there :(

Sooooo Toyota Center's naming rights ends in 2023.... i'm sure they will try to renew, but I have a feeling Tilman Fertitta will not agree. Just speculation, but I have a feeling Fertitta is waiting to see if we get chosen to host the FIFA World Cup, because if/ when we do, I'm sure the naming right offers will be more enticing. I know that no games/ practice will be held at the Toyota Center, but one things for sure, it will get a lot of screen time when they display our city. 

Really hope we get a different name because I feel like Toyota, a Japanese car, doesn't really represent our city (nothing against the car). I know it's a long shot, but would be cool if Tilman can partner with Elon and name it Tesla Center or Space X Center, tbh anything sounds cooler than Toyota Center :/ (really hope I don't offend anyone)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/16/2022 at 10:56 AM, Amlaham said:

Really hope we get a different name because I feel like Toyota, a Japanese car, doesn't really represent our city (nothing against the car).

The largest automaker in the world, who also sold more vehicles than any other in the US, doesn't represent our car-centric & international city? You know they also build the Sequoia & Tundra in Texas, right?

Feel like Toyota Center is more fitting than Minute Maid Park. Particularly since Coca-Cola closed their offices in Sugar Land to move them to Atlanta.

But I agree with you that something Space related would be cool. Doubt it would happen. Hopefully it won't be "Landry's Center". 

• Like 3

On 6/16/2022 at 10:56 AM, Amlaham said:

Couple of things:

I don't think the Coyotes will end up moving here since they're already in negotiations with Tempe, Az to build a stadium there :(

Sooooo Toyota Center's naming rights ends in 2023.... i'm sure they will try to renew, but I have a feeling Tilman Fertitta will not agree. Just speculation, but I have a feeling Fertitta is waiting to see if we get chosen to host the FIFA World Cup, because if/ when we do, I'm sure the naming right offers will be more enticing. I know that no games/ practice will be held at the Toyota Center, but one things for sure, it will get a lot of screen time when they display our city. 

Really hope we get a different name because I feel like Toyota, a Japanese car, doesn't really represent our city (nothing against the car). I know it's a long shot, but would be cool if Tilman can partner with Elon and name it Tesla Center or Space X Center, tbh anything sounds cooler than Toyota Center :/ (really hope I don't offend anyone)

I have a feeling Tilman Fertitta will happily agree if they are the high bidder.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

I have a feeling Tilman Fertitta will happily agree if they are the high bidder.

I hope we get a good deal mainly because I read that we don't get paid anywhere near as much as other arenas too

In order: 

• Scotiabank Arena in Toronto: 30M per season
  • Chase Center in San Francisco: 15M per season
  • Capital One Arena in DC: 10M per season
  • Barclays Center in Brooklyn: 10M per season 
  • Philips Arena in Atlanta: 8.75M per season 
  • American Airlines Center in Dallas: 6.5M per season  
  • Little Caesars Arena in Detroit: 6.25M per season 
  • Golden 1 Center in Sacramento: 6M per season 
  • Fiserv Forum in Milwaukee: 6M per season 
  • TD Garden in Boston: 6M per season
  • Ball Arena in Denver: 6M per season  
  • Crypto.com Arena in LA: 5.8M per season 
  • United Center in Chicago: 5M per season
  • Spectrum Center in Charlotte: 5M per season 
  • Finally....Toyota Center in Houston: 4.75M per season

The Rockets are good, the location is perfect (in the middle of the 4th largest city in America), almost all large concerts in the city occur at Toyota Center.....my point is, we deserve A LOT more. Also, in terms of how to stadium looks and feels, A LOT needs to be done IMO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amlaham said:

I hope we get a good deal mainly because I read that we don't get paid anywhere near as much as other arenas too

In order: 

• Scotiabank Arena in Toronto: 30M per season
  • Chase Center in San Francisco: 15M per season
  • Capital One Arena in DC: 10M per season
  • Barclays Center in Brooklyn: 10M per season 
  • Philips Arena in Atlanta: 8.75M per season 
  • American Airlines Center in Dallas: 6.5M per season  
  • Little Caesars Arena in Detroit: 6.25M per season 
  • Golden 1 Center in Sacramento: 6M per season 
  • Fiserv Forum in Milwaukee: 6M per season 
  • TD Garden in Boston: 6M per season
  • Ball Arena in Denver: 6M per season  
  • Crypto.com Arena in LA: 5.8M per season 
  • United Center in Chicago: 5M per season
  • Spectrum Center in Charlotte: 5M per season 
  • Finally....Toyota Center in Houston: 4.75M per season

The Rockets are good, the location is perfect (in the middle of the 4th largest city in America), almost all large concerts in the city occur at Toyota Center.....my point is, we deserve A LOT more. Also, in terms of how to stadium looks and feels, A LOT needs to be done IMO

"The Rockets are good"

You must watch a lot of basketball.

• Like 1

I hope the new naming rights coincide with a huge overhaul of Toyota Center like they AT&T Center in San Antonio and State Farm Arena in Atlanta we're way overdue for an upgrade!

43 minutes ago, kbates2 said:

"The Rockets are good"

You must watch a lot of basketball.

This team is going to be fun to watch we have some nice young pieces.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kennyc05 said:

I hope the new naming rights coincide with a huge overhaul of Toyota Center like they AT&T Center in San Antonio and State Farm Arena in Atlanta we're way overdue for an upgrade!

I suspect Tilman is eager to make improvements to Toyota Center.  I'd be surprised if we don't get significant improvements along with the new naming rights agreement.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

I suspect Tilman is eager to make improvements to Toyota Center.  I'd be surprised if we don't get significant improvements along with the new naming rights agreement.

Those maroon seats need to stripped out! .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/29/2022 at 2:41 PM, kennyc05 said:

I agree that we have some nice young pieces.  I don’t know that we are good yet by any means.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 3:50 PM, Houston19514 said:

Tilman was already quoted back in 2018 as they were looking at major renovations. The pandemic probably held that up but I would have to figure soon we’ll hear something about this, especially with the Astros ballpark village plans on the horizon.

They have retrofitted a number of areas and plan to continue making upgrades including what Fertitta calls a “major overhaul” in the next five years. “We have a lot of ideas and a lot of plans on what we are going to be doing,”

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/city-life/10-08-18-toyota-center-turns-15-houston-rockets-tilman-fertitta-tad-davis-houston-astros-jim-crane/?utm_source=sf_twitter

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 5

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

"Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman said the Coyotes, the subject of relocation speculation for years, could make a new home in Houston if the new stadium plans don’t work out, The Houston Chronicle reported

The Coyotes moved to Arizona State’s Mullett Arena this season, which has a capacity of 4,600, the article states. Houston has a hockey arena in the Toyota Center with a capacity of 18,300. It hasn’t been used by a pro hockey team since the American Hockey League's Houston Aeros moved to Iowa in 2013.

“If this whole Arizona situation doesn’t work with the new building, I have to think Houston is the likely location, right?” Friedman said, according to the Chronicle article. “It’s a natural rival for Dallas; it’s the largest market in the U.S. that doesn’t have a team. There’s a lot of things that make sense there.”

https://www.bisnow.com/national/news/construction-development/developer-could-call-off-46-acre-tempe-entertainment-district-in-exchange-for-23b-118448

• Like 7

20 hours ago, hindesky said:

the Coyotes… could make a new home in Houston

I'll break out my Winnipeg Jets jersey.

Shame about the Aeros.  They were always fun.

I'm surprised that the Toyota Center capacity is under 20,000.  It always looks so big from the outside.  According to Wikimopedia:

• Basketball: 18,104
  • Hockey: 17,800
  • Concerts: 19,300

1 hour ago, editor said:

I'll break out my Winnipeg Jets jersey.

Shame about the Aeros.  They were always fun.

I'm surprised that the Toyota Center capacity is under 20,000.  It always looks so big from the outside.  According to Wikimopedia:

• Basketball: 18,104
  • Hockey: 17,800
  • Concerts: 19,300

If we do get hockey back I hope they can revive the Aeros name!  I have great memories of them playing at the Summit...Gordie Howe...Jerry Trupiano on play-by-play...great childhood memories...

• Like 1

Dallas' American Airlines Center getting a renovation..

"As American Airlines Center nears its 22nd birthday this summer, work is underway to greatly enhance fan experience and comfort, with the Mavericks and Stars splitting the $18.5 million bill.

For the first time since 2009, AAC not only will get a new LED Center Hung Display, but four curved and angled underbelly screens with 360-degree video capability. Together the Center Hung and underbelly screens will create a 55%-larger viewing area than the current center video boards.

All 19,134 of the arena’s original seats are being replaced with better-cushioned and ergonomically improved seats that also are resistant to spills, stains and cuts."

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/mavericks/2023/04/18/american-airlines-center-in-dallas-getting-major-upgrades-new-video-boards-seats/?sailthru_id=62681630c37a8b7a1180197a&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=TicketTicker_04192023&utm_term=Ticket Ticker

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, steve1363 said:

Dallas' American Airlines Center getting a renovation..

"As American Airlines Center nears its 22nd birthday this summer, work is underway to greatly enhance fan experience and comfort, with the Mavericks and Stars splitting the $18.5 million bill.

For the first time since 2009, AAC not only will get a new LED Center Hung Display, but four curved and angled underbelly screens with 360-degree video capability. Together the Center Hung and underbelly screens will create a 55%-larger viewing area than the current center video boards.

All 19,134 of the arena’s original seats are being replaced with better-cushioned and ergonomically improved seats that also are resistant to spills, stains and cuts."

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/mavericks/2023/04/18/american-airlines-center-in-dallas-getting-major-upgrades-new-video-boards-seats/?sailthru_id=62681630c37a8b7a1180197a&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=TicketTicker_04192023&utm_term=Ticket Ticker

Just a new scoreboard and new seats. They’re not going all in on a major overhaul yet since Mark Cuban has his own dreams of a new basketball arena across the freeway in the design district (near the Mavs practice facility). 

• Confused 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Toyota Center At 1510 Polk St.
  • 2 months later...

If a new arena was built, and somewhere 'downtown' ,(however that is defined), where might it go? I like the proximity of the Convention Center and arena, but that is not a requirement for a new building. You could significantly re-build the Toyota Center, much like MSG was substantially rebuilt about a decade ago. My longshot site is combining the blocks around the two closed bus stations on Main. Light Rail adjacent. Downtown (or very near) and available. Any ideas on potential sites from those with more experience with Houston?

• Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 6:31 AM, Brooklyn173 said:

If a new arena was built, and somewhere 'downtown' ,(however that is defined), where might it go? I like the proximity of the Convention Center and arena, but that is not a requirement for a new building. You could significantly re-build the Toyota Center, much like MSG was substantially rebuilt about a decade ago. My longshot site is combining the blocks around the two closed bus stations on Main. Light Rail adjacent. Downtown (or very near) and available. Any ideas on potential sites from those with more experience with Houston?

The Astroworld lot surrounded by a mixed-use development district on the level of The Battery at Truist Field in Cobb County for the Braves. Site is on the Loop with Rail access.

The other option IMO would be a new arena within the Astrodome itself like 02 Arena within Millennium Dome in London 

Both options could be viewed as a replacement venue for an aging NRG Arena if the Texans & HLSR would be interested. 

• Like 1