Globe Department Stores

Ashikaga

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There was also a Globe down near Belfort.  I think the one near Gulfgate was next to Frizell's Pontiac AMC.

This is hurting my head.  Must recall childhood memories.

But I am good at that.  I remember my days as a zygote fondly. It was fun.

Or was that Sage?  I get Sage and Globe confused, but from what I remember, they made Wal-Mart look fancy ;-)

Globe (later Fed Mart then Mervyns) was where Lowes stands now. Sage was off of 45 and Monroe. The building still stands but I believe its a Houston Community College now.

Sears was at the corner of Shaver and Southmore. It is now a Wal-Mart.

I believe the Globe store was east of the old Sears on Southmore on the south side of the street.

Correct, the Globe is now Mervyns. Across from the Foley's that is now a mall anchor. But back in the day, there was no mall in Pasadena. We just cruised Foley's. And they had a little music section that sold records.

Yep, bought my first album there.

Rush's Fly By Night.

Yes, I remember well. Not at Globe, but I remember going into other department stores when I was a kid back in the 1960s and 1970s and going straight to the 45rpm singles shelves. The average price of them was $1. Only rarely could my parents afford to buy me an album.

Chet Cuccia

• 3 months later...

That was a Globe store across Woodridge from Gulfgate, the front of the store wasn't facing woodridge, which was south of the store, it faced east. I lived in the apartments across the parking lot from the front of the building, Gulfgate Village Apartments for about 17 years.

Edited by PCfixit

I remember the Globe across from Gulfgate. It was the only one we ever went to. I think there was a Michelin tire store close to it with the big white michelin man standing either on the roof or in front of the store. On Woodridge on the other side of 45 was the christmas tree lot where we always bought our christmas tree.

I remember the Globe across from Gulfgate. It was the only one we ever went to. I think there was a Michelin tire store close to it with the big white michelin man standing either on the roof or in front of the store. On Woodridge on the other side of 45 was the christmas tree lot where we always bought our christmas tree.

Yes, I'm now 47 and I still remember the Globe Department Store from the years (1962-64) that we lived in Houston. Back then, I had my picture taken with Santa Claus at Globe. My mother still has that picture. I also remember my parents buying a solid white cat in the Globe pet department. They named it "Purty". But it had a problem with intestinal gas. It stunk up our house.

• 3 months later...
There was a Globe on the northeast corner of Bellaire and Hillcroft. It was right across Hillcroft from the Sharpstown drive-in theater. Sage was on the southeast corner of Beechnut and Post Oak (now 610) right across from Meyerland. What occupies those locations now?

I used to shop at that Globe and saw Jaws at Sharpstown Drive-In Theater! Last time I checked there was a Fiesta store where Globe once was and they built an apartment complex where the Drive-In used to be!

• 1 month later...
Here's one of the slogans I remember from Sage billboards:

Rudolph shops at Sage, red knows (nose)

You know those billboards are one of the things I remember specifically from childhood that first got my interest in going into the advertising field.

Hey stolitx - I posted this on another thread - but the ones I will never forget are:

Earl Campbel saved at Sage. He's a runnin' back!

and

Joe Sambito saved at Sage. What a relief!

• 2 months later...
Did Houston have any Grant's? That was the local discount department store when I was a kid.

Yup, we frequented them often. I remember the ones on N. Shepherd. Hwy 59 North, and Little York Rd. I grew up on the northside.

Went to the Globe stores on Hwy 59 North and N. Shepherd too.

Also had a Danburg's Department Store on Jensen.

Went to the Shopper's Fair which was on N. Shepherd & Crosstimbers.

Also frequented a Dugan's Drugs on Homestead Rd. that later became Eckerd.

Dang, I'm old.

Yup, we frequented them often. I remember the ones on N. Shepherd. Hwy 59 North, and Little York Rd. I grew up on the northside.

Went to the Globe stores on Hwy 59 North and N. Shepherd too.

Also had a Danburg's Department Store on Jensen.

Went to the Shopper's Fair which was on N. Shepherd & Crosstimbers.

Also frequented a Dugan's Drugs on Homestead Rd. that later became Eckerd.

Dang, I'm old.

Are you talking about W.T. Grant? A five-and-dime store like F.W. Woolworth and Ben Franklin? There was one just a little ways down from Newberry's in that open middle part of then-Gulfgate Shopping City. I remember my parents bought me some Silly Putty in that store.

• 1 month later...
Sorry! I thought you were referring to the Globe in the Sharpstown area. I'll look closer at the posts next time.

There was an oriental restaurant accross the street from the Globe on Bellaire and Hillcroft. The name of the restaurant was the Mongolian Barbeque. I had my first fortune cookie there. Sharpstown Drive-In Theater was behind the restaurant.

Years later they tore down the restaurant and put up a shopping center with a Safeway grocery store in it. Casa Ole was located there in the 1980's as well.

• 6 months later...

The coolest GLOBE was on North Shepherd...about a mile south of Tidwell. It stood on the current site of the City Of Houston 911 Emergency Center...across the street from St. Pius High School. As a kid, I got lost in that store one day...I was terrified.

The coolest GLOBE was on North Shepherd...about a mile south of Tidwell. It stood on the current site of the City Of Houston 911 Emergency Center...across the street from St. Pius High School. As a kid, I got lost in that store one day...I was terrified.

I remember my cousin and I going to a Globe Department Store that was on the street that ran alongside of then Gulfgate Shopping City next to then Weingarten's. According to the map I'm looking at, that street is/was called Woodridge.

I worked at the Globe on Woodridge in 1974 for one summer. The tire store next door was Fisk, had a little boy in pajamas and holding a candle with the slogan "Time to retire.".

The only Globe left after the late 70s was one in McAllen Texas. It was closed about 5 years ago. It made so much money from people coming across the border to shop they kept it open.

I remember Sage because it was the only non grocery store open on Sundays. They would block off sections of items you couldn't buy because of the Blue Laws.

joe

Edited by texianjoe
  • Like 1

Actually the way Sage got around the Blue Laws was to rope the areas off on Saturday and then open them back up on Sunday, thus being the only store selling that stuff on Sunday. The Blue Laws merely said you could not sell the stuff for seven days in a row and everyone interpreted that to mean that you closed on Sunday. Sage just exploited the loophold and made a pretty nice profit for a while till everyone else caught up to the idea.

On that same note who remembers the Deauville Shopping Malls. These were short lived ideas that were originally meant to challenge the Blue Laws and be open seven days a week. The buildings still exsist such as the one on the Gulf Freeway at Bay area Blvd, on the east side of the freeway. The malls had off name stores and did 90% of their sales on Sundays when everyone else was closed. I think they did okay for about six months until the regular malls saw they were not getting in trouble and decided to open up on Sundays as well. That did in the Deauville bunch and they closed and eventually were turned into A couple of Garden Ridges and at the one at Baybrook became the home of several Big Box tretailers like Best Buy, Oshmans, and Bed Bath and Beyond.

• 4 months later...
fc681089.jpg

Maybe you can remember this from 1963

I know I am not the only one with old news papers and a scanner

The prices of the good old days. You could walk right next door to Globe from Frizzell's. I remember us having a Pontiac Tempest. It might have been the one in the ad. I looked on GlobeExplorer.com (no PUN intended). The present Home Depot is up the road from where Globe Department Store was.

The prices of the good old days. You could walk right next door to Globe from Frizzell's. I remember us having a Pontiac Tempest. It might have been the one in the ad. I looked on GlobeExplorer.com (no PUN intended). The present Home Depot is up the road from where Globe Department Store was.

The Home Depot occupies the space of the old Winkler Drive-In Theater, which was on Winkler at Flowers Street. Globe was on Woodridge across from Gulfgate.

Edited by isuredid

If you go to Kerrville, head out on Highway 27 toward Ingrham and you'll find a Gibson's Discount Center. The old sign is the same as it was back in the 1970s when I used to shop at the one in Baytown. But I believe that it is more-or-less a hardware store and not a discount department store.

July 21 1969 The Houston Post

Globe Shopping City

Gulfgate. exit 8 next to Frizzell Pontiac

5300 North Shepherd at Donovan

Bellaire Blvd at Hillcroft

Eastex Freeway at Langley road

975 Gessner at Katy road

Baytown: 1700 Decker drive

Pasadena: Southmore at Tatar

Edited by Marty

I have a list of Mading Dugan Drugs locations here post #190 http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...3075&st=150
I don't remember squat about this Globe store. I just remember there being a LOT of car dealerships (Including Bill McDavid with the animated neon rocket on the sign) along 45 near Gulfgate...that, and there was a drive-in hamburger joint called The Ritz...which is no longer there...and further down near Griggs, the Frito's plant...
Heh! I remember getting lost in that one too when I was a kid. I also remember going to Princess Hamburgers also on Shepherd...60's...

Just remembered Globe's motto:

Everything under the Sun

Yeah, It says that on the 1969 ad's. I need to figure out how to use my father's 3 in 1 scanner where I can post the photos of the ads instead of typing them out.

Edited by Marty

Everything under the Sun!

Cracks me up! That really goes back into the memory vaults! I think the logo had this goofy sun smiling up in the air?

We always ran to the records section of the store at the Gulfgate store. For some reason (unbeknowngst to me) I still recall holding and looking over the Eric Clapton album while, I shot the Sheriff played in the background. It closed shortly after that so it must have been 1974-75ish?

Then became Fedmart was supposed to be an innovation store because it had everything under one roof pre-Walmart. I worked there for about 1 year and still have my name tag. :ph34r::lol:

Everything under the Sun!

Cracks me up! That really goes back into the memory vaults! I think the logo had this goofy sun smiling up in the air?

We always ran to the records section of the store at the Gulfgate store. For some reason (unbeknowngst to me) I still recall holding and looking over the Eric Clapton album while, I shot the Sheriff played in the background. It closed shortly after that so it must have been 1974-75ish?

Then became Fedmart was supposed to be an innovation store because it had everything under one roof pre-Walmart. I worked there for about 1 year and still have my name tag. :ph34r::lol:

FedMart was at Griggs and Mykawa and was open during the same time that Globe was. It started out as a membership store and later on was open to everyone. It was a lot like Walmart. There was another FedMart where the Whole Foods is now in the Bellaire Shopping Center. I always thought that FedMart was a few notches up from Globe.