Globe Department Stores

Ashikaga

On 7/15/2005 at 10:57 AM, gnu said:

Familiar with Globe but not that location. We had one by us, when i was growing up. I think it was owned by Walgreens...it was their answer for Woolco and Kmart.

There was a Globe in Pasadena.  Got my first dish set there in the late 70s.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 7 months later...
On 7/15/2005 at 10:42 AM, Ashikaga said:

On the side street of Gulfgate (I think that the name of it was either Woodridge/Woodbridge) was a department store that we went to. The name of it was Globe. I heard that a Home Depot is now in that spot. Does anyone out there know anything about this?

Chet Cuccia

You're partially right, Globe was located on 610 just just past the pedestrian overpass from Gulfgate mall to the movie theater. Home Depot is located on I-45 @ Woodridge. 

• 2 months later...

I don't remember Globe being near the cinema on 610 Loop S. I remember Fedmart was located  off Woodridge behind those old apartments on Village Way.  So, where exactly was the Globe store?

2 hours ago, NenaE said:

I don't remember Globe being near the cinema on 610 Loop S. I remember Fedmart was located  off Woodridge behind those old apartments on Village Way.  So, where exactly was the Globe store?

Globe was at 3030 Woodridge. There was no FedMart there. The nearest FedMart was at 5600 Mykawa near Griggs.

The Directory of Discount Department Stores, 1980 (digital) Internet Archive (source) lists a Fedmart at 3030 Woodridge. (typed in error as Woodbridge).

It also lists the other Houston Fedmart locations, including the Mykawa store.

One search for Globe Shopping City lists their Gulfgate store at 3030 Woodridge with "later occupants" as Fedmart #291, and Mervyn's #118 (source - BluePages Wiki).

I actually visited that Woodridge Fedmart with my father when I was young (as mentioned in an earlier post).

On 3/27/2022 at 5:13 PM, NenaE said:

The Directory of Discount Department Stores, 1980 (digital) Internet Archive (source) lists a Fedmart at 3030 Woodridge. (typed in error as Woodbridge).

It also lists the other Houston Fedmart locations, including the Mykawa store.

One search for Globe Shopping City lists their Gulfgate store at 3030 Woodridge with "later occupants" as Fedmart #291, and Mervyn's #118 (source - BluePages Wiki).

I actually visited that Woodridge Fedmart with my father when I was young (as mentioned in an earlier post).

You are correct, and I stand corrected.

After a little research I found that Walgreen's closed or sold all the remaining Globe stores in 1978. Of the 22 stores they sold, 14 became KMarts and 8 became FedMarts. All FedMarts were closed in 1982. So that location must have been a FedMart for those 4 years.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The topic was unlocked

The one in Sharpstown, Bellaire at Hillcroft, NE corner, looked like this. I think it's still in use as a Fiesta store. 

Remember their song "Globe Shopping City where you'll always save more!"

Loved that store. I couldn't wait to see their ad in the Sunday newspaper to find out what would be on sale the coming week. Globe had everything under the sun as it would say in the ads. I go to garage sales in neighborhoods around Globe looking for things that came from there.

• The title was changed to Globe Department Stores