Globe Department Stores

Ashikaga

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Service Merchandise bought out Wilson's. There was a WIlson's on 59 @ Bellerive in Sharpstown. I don't remember what all is in that space now but part of it is occupied by a Quiznos. There was also a Service Merchandise (never a Wilson's, I think) on 59 @ Williams Trace in First Colony, in that big strip with the HD.

I liked those catalog stores, especially W. Bell. Best Products was another. They usually had better quality merchandise than the big box stores like WM and Target that basicaly put them out of business.

• 2 months later...

Service Merchandise bought out Wilson's. There was a WIlson's on 59 @ Bellerive in Sharpstown. I don't remember what all is in that space now but part of it is occupied by a Quiznos.

It now has an Office Depot, a Metropolitan Furniture and maybe another furniture store I can't remember in addition to the Quizno's. There was also a Foot Locker or something there a few years back.

There was also a Service Merchandise (never a Wilson's, I think) on 59 @ Williams Trace in First Colony, in that big strip with the HD.

I believe a Conn's is now there.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I think there was a Globe across from Town & Country Mall, if you are heading South on the beltway feeder from I10 It was immediately on the right. am I right about this???

I was waiting for this thread to mention the west side stores. That was Sage. The Globe in the Memorial area was in the SW corner of Gessner and I-10, just west of Memorial City Mall (where the new hospital/hotel has just been built). It can be seen in historicaerials.com, starting from 1973 on up to 2004. It must have been used as a different store after it quit being Globe in the 1970's, but I can't remember what store took over.

Sage was in the SW corner of Beltway 8 and I-10. I remember that Sage on West Belt was the only store that could sell clothes on Sunday when I was trying to buy some new clothing for school that was starting on Monday! Sage was nicer than Globe. Globe was like a K-Mart. Sage can be seen in historicaerials.com from 1973 until 2002. The land was then taken over by the highway department for use in the construction of Beltway 8 - I-10 interchange. The site is now a water retention pit.

• 4 months later...

I remember being about 5 years of age and going to Globe Shopping City with our maid to buy supplies.  She took me to the café in the store and bought me a piece of Lemon Meringue Pie and milk.  It was so delicious!  After that she met up with a friend who took us back home.  I can still remember The Carpenters song, "We've Only Just begun" playing in the background.  This was 1970 in McAllen, Texas.  I still have such great memories of standing in line, waiting to pay for our items.  I miss Candy a lot, as that was our maid's name.

• Like 1

I worked at the Globe on Woodridge in 1974 for one summer. The tire store next door was Fisk, had a little boy in pajamas and holding a candle with the slogan "Time to retire.".

The only Globe left after the late 70s was one in McAllen Texas. It was closed about 5 years ago. It made so much money from people coming across the border to shop they kept it open.

I remember Sage because it was the only non grocery store open on Sundays. They would block off sections of items you couldn't buy because of the Blue Laws.

joe

I do remember going to the Sage on 45 & Monroe once as a kid and seeing the grocery section blocked off. Never did understand that law. I also remember grocery stores and convenient stores also being closed on Sunday

I was waiting for this thread to mention the west side stores. That was Sage. The Globe in the Memorial area was in the SW corner of Gessner and I-10, just west of Memorial City Mall (where the new hospital/hotel has just been built). It can be seen in historicaerials.com, starting from 1973 on up to 2004. It must have been used as a different store after it quit being Globe in the 1970's, but I can't remember what store took over.

Believe it was an Academy store in the final years of its existence.

After Globe, I believe it was a Mervyn's, then (after Mervyn's moved across Gessner into the former Lord & Taylor space) it became an Oshman's SuperSports in its final years.

That's right Oshman's. I knew it was a sports and outdoor store.

• 3 years later...
On 3/25/2012 at 7:56 PM, PCfixit said:

... I lived in the Village Way Apartments on the other side of the fence. I lived in the same apartment for 17 years,...

Hi. I'm trying to get a feel for the Village Way Apartments back in the early 80's.  We moved in 1981 and stayed there for 5 years. These years were the earliest part of my youth. Friends and I would play around the large lots in front of the apt sections.  I remember my dad car was broken into.  I would drive back through Village Way once in a while, but the Concorde Apartments are there now. Wondering if anyone else grew up there and had stories to share.

• 10 months later...
On 8/10/2016 at 9:07 AM, anthonytexas said:

Hi. I'm trying to get a feel for the Village Way Apartments back in the early 80's.  We moved in 1981 and stayed there for 5 years. These years were the earliest part of my youth. Friends and I would play around the large lots in front of the apt sections.  I remember my dad car was broken into.  I would drive back through Village Way once in a while, but the Concorde Apartments are there now. Wondering if anyone else grew up there and had stories to share.

historicaerials.com first shows the apartments, on Wirt, south of Hempstead Hwy., in their 1973 aerial.

12 hours ago, detached said:

historicaerials.com first shows the apartments, on Wirt, south of Hempstead Hwy., in their 1973 aerial.

I'm not sure if Concord Apartments and Village Way Apartments are the same thing. The way @anthonytexas phrases it they were two different structures, yet the 1970s aerial shows the same buildings as the apartment buildings there today. Across the street is another complex called "Hilton Town" today and at some point in the 1990s or even the 1980s, about 75% of the property was blocked off and ultimately demolished.

There are some apartments just to the south that describe the "large lots" though.

I lived in the Patrica Manor Apartments on Plum creek across from the Village Way from about 1965 or 66 to 1980 when my parents got divorced. They are still there amazingly.

The original Stubbs Suzuki was just behind us on Telephone road. We used to sneak over there and take the big boxes the motorcycles came in and make forts out of them.

We would also run across the street and walk past the Village Way apt.s to go to the Globe and or Gulfgate.

On 8/22/2007 at 3:56 PM, brerrabbit said:

It definitly was a Fed Mart for a while. It was in the old Globe building. When Fed Mart closed they tore down the building and built the Mervyns there. Next to the parking lot for the Globe/Fed Mart was a large apartment clomplex that ran from there out to a street called Plum Creek that ran from Telephone near Stubbs Cycles over to Winkler. A friend of mine lived on Plum Creek and we would cut through the apartments over to Globe, and then Fed Mart. Someone who lived in the apartments had actually built a horseshoe pitch in the grass between the parking lot and the back fence of the apartments and cut a hole through the fence to have easy access. That was our cut through to the store.

I lived in those apartments on Plum Creek (Patricia Manor Apts) for 14 or 15 years. Used to sneak over to Stubbs all the time.

You are correct about Globe becoming Fedmart for a while. 

Holy crap! I remember the horseshoe pitch! I used to cut through there all the time.

6 hours ago, MIKE SH said:

I lived in those apartments on Plum Creek (Patricia Manor Apts) for 14 or 15 years. Used to sneak over to Stubbs all the time.

Holy crap! I remember the horseshoe pitch! I used to cut through there all the time.

Gessner and Katy Freeway started as Globe, then became FedMart in the 1970s, then became Mervyn's in the early 1980s after FedMart went out of business, then became an Oshman's SuperSports USA after Mervyn's moved to Memorial City Mall, then it moved out to a new stand-alone Sports Authority store (in a former Service Merchandise store). It was torn down in 2005.

Mervyn's appears to have substantially altered the building but it seems they didn't tear it down.

• 2 months later...
On 6/20/2017 at 6:24 PM, MIKE SH said:

I only remember the Patricia Manor Apartments (with those window unit a/c and 1950's cedar shingles) located near Ingrando Park, Plum Creek & Evergreen Dr. in the Southmayd subdivision area. Were they also named Patricia at the Gulfgate location? I would guess the Gulfgate area apartments were built about the same time as the Lawndale ones (by the cemetery). They were brick construction with small paned windows (1940's built?) that sometimes wrapped around the corner of the building. I always noticed the huge trees at the Gulfgate area apartments. Plum Creek was their water source, too bad they are gone. See the Aerial maps. A similar apartment complex to the Patricia sits around Telephone, before Park Place Blvd.

I remember my dad telling me that after I was born he got a night part time job at Globe on N Shepherd for some extra money. One evening, either a customer or a supervisor (I forget which) said something to him he didn't like and he walked off the job. Since it wasn't his main job, just extra money, he said it was a wonderful feeling to just walk away. Years later, I had the same situation and as I walked away leaving my supervisor speechless, I remembered my dad's story and yeah, it did feel pretty darn good. I could almost hear Johnny Paycheck singing in the distance...

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2005 at 10:57 AM, gnu said:

Familiar with Globe but not that location. We had one by us, when i was growing up. I think it was owned by Walgreens...it was their answer for Woolco and Kmart.

the Home Depot in Gulfgate used 2 be the location of Bill McDavid Oldsmobile - where the Whataburger and Wells Fargo is located as of 2017 would have been the Globe location

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2007 at 10:08 PM, Disastro said:

I don't remember squat about this Globe store. I just remember there being a LOT of car dealerships (Including Bill McDavid with the animated neon rocket on the sign) along 45 near Gulfgate...that, and there was a drive-in hamburger joint called The Ritz...which is no longer there...and further down near Griggs, the Frito's plant...Heh! I remember getting lost in that one too when I was a kid. I also remember going to Princess Hamburgers also on Shepherd...60's...

A variant of the McDavid rocket still exists in Irving, TX off TX183 east of the PGBT Turnpike (east of Esters Rd) - facility is now the David McDavid Auto Group

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2017 at 5:51 PM, montrosepatriot said:

A variant of the McDavid rocket still exists in Irving, TX off TX183 east of the PGBT Turnpike (east of Esters Rd) - facility is now the David McDavid Auto Group

38173141722_0100d98aa0_o.jpg

Edited by mkultra25
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

My first job was as a tire buster at the Globe on Hillcroft and Bellaire.  Then I transferred to Baytown for a mechanic position. Next I came back to the Globe at Gessner and I-10. We were the original front end bandits. We had a service manager named Ruben. He looked like Junior Samples and I was amazed at how people just automatically trusted this guy. The manager was even worse. Oh yeah, you need upper and lower ball joints, drag link, pitman arm, tie rod end bushings, etc. Several of the tire store buildings are still standing. The one on Bellaire turned into a liquor store.

• 6 months later...
On 8/21/2007 at 1:55 PM, isuredid said:

The Home Depot occupies the space of the old Winkler Drive-In Theater, which was on Winkler at Flowers Street. Globe was on Woodridge across from Gulfgate.

Yes remember it well, I was Secretary to Clayton Burkstrand, President of the Globe Stores at that time.  Hired at the Woodridge store then we moved out on 290 and then finally closed for good. Such a wonderful time back then.  The store had everything. Stores were in La and around Texas. 

On 8/18/2019 at 3:18 PM, Chasbro said:

My first job was as a tire buster at the Globe on Hillcroft and Bellaire.  Then I transferred to Baytown for a mechanic position. Next I came back to the Globe at Gessner and I-10. We were the original front end bandits. We had a service manager named Ruben. He looked like Junior Samples and I was amazed at how people just automatically trusted this guy. The manager was even worse. Oh yeah, you need upper and lower ball joints, drag link, pitman arm, tie rod end bushings, etc. Several of the tire store buildings are still standing. The one on Bellaire turned into a liquor store.

I remember the Globe Stores as I was Secretary to Clayton Burkstrand the President. Hired at the Woodridge location then we moved to the Walgreens location out off 290 in Houston.  I worked there until the last closing.  Globe was owned by Walgreens.  I loved my job, the employees and it was very sad to see them closing. Remember all the stores in Texas as well as Louisiana.  Traveled a bit also with them.  Bought a lot of great item at their stores.  The one in Brownsville my parents shopped at over at AmigoLand Mall near the Old Bridge to Mexico.  Stores had very nice employees and very informative. Now some 40 years later, brings back great memories.