Washington Heights Developments

DianeTX

The new strip center across from the Walmart site had their disco lights on this past Saturday night - the two tall colums in the structure that look like design elements are really lighted columns. Not sure what their plans are on using these lights.

Has anyone else seen them on?

Thoughts?

The are very bright, vivid colors that are quickly changing, flashing and chasing around the columns. If they just had one color or slowly morphed the colors it would look better. It just seemed to advertise "Party Here!". I see a lot of distracted drivers on Yale, Heights and I10.

It's possible that they were testing them and that the rate at which they were changing won't be the actual rate of change. I recall when they first were running the lights on the wells Fargo building they were shifting through the entire spectrum pretty quickly, rave style. That was done for a few weeks. Now they are on, but at a steady state.

It's possible that they were testing them and that the rate at which they were changing won't be the actual rate of change. I recall when they first were running the lights on the wells Fargo building they were shifting through the entire spectrum pretty quickly, rave style. That was done for a few weeks. Now they are on, but at a steady state.

Maybe they will change the colors based on weather conditions like they do with the old John Hancock building in Boston:

Steady blue, clear view.

Flashing blue, clouds due.

Steady red, rain ahead.

Flashing red, snow instead.

Probably would need to change "flashing red" to flooding ahead if adapting the color scheme to Houston.

Or, it might just be a cheezy gimick to try to distract people from the crudy strip mall we got instead of the prior plans for a mixed use development for that site.

Maybe they will change the colors based on weather conditions like they do with the old John Hancock building in Boston:

Steady blue, clear view.

Steady red, rain ahead.

Probably would need to change "flashing red" to flooding ahead if adapting the color scheme to Houston.

Or, it might just be a cheezy gimick to try to distract people from the crudy strip mall we got instead of the prior plans for a mixed use development for that site.

We had our own weather ball you know. We could simply reuse our own words...

White Light - Cooler Weather Red Light - Warmer Weather Green Light - No Change in View Blinking Light - Rain is Due

Steady blue, clear view.

Steady red, rain ahead.

Flashing red is for when the bridge has collapsed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I believe this thing constiutes an Attention-Getting Device for a business, all of which are banned in Houston. However, regulation is in the eye of the regulator, and maybe he was wearing a nice, new pair of Costa Del Mar sunglasses.

I believe this thing constiutes an Attention-Getting Device for a business, all of which are banned in Houston. However, regulation is in the eye of the regulator, and maybe he was wearing a nice, new pair of Costa Del Mar sunglasses.

Perhaps if they do blink, strobe or flash. But I doubt they will. The design element is probably supposed to be more similar to the memorial city area lighting where they can pick multiple accent colors.

The are very bright, vivid colors that are quickly changing, flashing and chasing around the columns. If they just had one color or slowly morphed the colors it would look better. It just seemed to advertise "Party Here!". I see a lot of distracted drivers on Yale, Heights and I10.

This sign would qualify as an Attention-Getting Device under the City ordinance.

This sign would qualify as an Attention-Getting Device under the City ordinance.

Thats what I said, but I highly doubt the lights will function as described during normal use. Pretty sure the city doesnt go calling every sign that can be flipped on and off to blink at the switch an attention getting device just because it "could" be used that way.

Edited by JJxvi

...I highly doubt the lights will function as described during normal use......

Ok, I just misunderstood DianeTX. I thought she was witnessing the intended business use in operation as opposed to a temporay operational test of its superfluous capability.

• 2 weeks later...

after seeing them on the other night as I drove home, they were changing color at a rate of about every second. it appeared that the LEDs are only on the dome of the structure? It doesn't look any more attention getting than other signs throughout the area, and certainly no more an eyesore on the community than the party city. that thing detracts from any other eyesore so as to make them all pleasant.

• 4 months later...

There's an article in BisNow today about the portion of the Washington Heights project that isn't Wal-Mart. I thought about posting this in the very very long Wal-Mart thread, but thought it might get swallowed up and become hard to find for people who want to know what else is going in there.

Now the center is nearing shell completion, and Bart tells us tenants (and Walmart) will be opening in October. Both pad sites have been ground leased to JP Morgan Chase Bank and Taco Cabana.

Tenants for the 60k SF shopping center include Visionworks, Sports Clips, Jersey Mikes, Nailtime, GNC, GameStop, Corner Bakery, Starbucks, Verizon, Which Wich, and Chipotle.

Here's a link to the full article: http://app.newsletter.bisnow.com/e/es.aspx?s=2636&e=9465&elq=94d3b170bf7c40c3bfda94cbddad69c3

Awesome! More potential Little League sponsors are always welcome in our neighborhood! Many of our kids cannot readily afford the fees, but our HNLL policy is to accept all neighborhood youngsters, so sponsorships from individuals and businesses are an important part of a maintaining a first class organization. We can be proud of our Olympians every four years, and many of those champions started out in neighborhood sports leagues. More importantly kids "at risk" respond well to healthy activity and team sports and all kids respond well to the fun, new friends and role models. The future is determined by our kids, so if you really care about this neighborhood, put down your Walmart placards and spend time where it counts by sponsoring or volunteering at our local schools and kids' organizations. Sorry about the hijack Mr. Editor, but thanks for the link and the heads-up, my introductory letters will go out soon.

• 6 months later...

So, it looks like the rumors about the NW corner of Yale and I-10 becoming an apartment complex were just rumors. According to Moody Rambin, it is going to be more Washington Heights strip malling, fast food and bank pad. The 18k sq ft building is kind of a funny layout. I wonder if they are going to chop it up into 1k-3k sq ft pads for even more nail salons and sandwich shops or will they get a bigger fish. At least it is showing a new right turn lane from Yale SB to the new feeder.

So, it looks like the rumors about the NW corner of Yale and I-10 becoming an apartment complex were just rumors. According to Moody Rambin, it is going to be more Washington Heights strip malling, fast food and bank pad. The 18k sq ft building is kind of a funny layout. I wonder if they are going to chop it up into 1k-3k sq ft pads for even more nail salons and sandwich shops or will they get a bigger fish. At least it is showing a new right turn lane from Yale SB to the new feeder.

Link?

Yes, I'm glad this is assaulting the Heights. This penetration into the market is something I've been looking forward to.This invasion--- I mean, this intrusion means that I can spend less gas while the banks and other little necessity stores come closer to me. How sick of me. And how sick is it that this area is growing and prospering. 

Its not creative and unique so heights snobs dont like it.....Could it be better?  Yes - absolutely.  I would think someone could, if they could get, State, Federal permission, build something cool near the bayou, but that is a BIG if...the bayou is a floodway, and thus according to our current EPA you cant build a permanent structure on it...so any nice outdoors place like rainbow lodge, would probably never get permits to build something unique and neat by the bayou...

Then you have the freeway, with the traffic/noise - nothing but chains, stores, gas stations ever make it on busy streets like that b/c of the traffic counts and outrageous rents so - you pretty much wipe out any unique stores that way as well.  What are you left with?  Generic strip malls built by someone who can afford to build them, chopped into tiny storefronts, occupied by the highest bidder.

Its a financial decision - You can't build a super expensive, awesome unique place, and then get sporatic patronage...I think the Heights demographics are changing for the better economically speaking, but much of that income demographic change is from families with kids, who dont frequently dine without children - so you get what you get...fast food, gas stations, banks, and at least one mattress, check cashing, auto title place. 

I downloaded the brochure, but can't get it to upload onto the post. Go here: http://ucrrealty.com/property_app.php Under "all associates", scroll down and pick Shaw MacIntyre. Then, click on "L", Washington heights-Bank & Fast Food Pad Sites Available.

Am I doing something wrong?  I downloaded both flyers related to Washington Heights and neither mentions the NW corner of I-10/Yale.  Both seem to be for the developments south of I-10.  I see letter "L" to be "Washington Heights Site D"

Edited by heights