On 12/23/2022 at 12:04 PM, JClark54 said:

This must be a joke comment. 

Freight rail activity in the east end is not a minor inconvenience. I'm not a train hater, but I understand how it affects the area. 

Train blockages can profoundly impact traffic during peak periods or situations where numerous lines are blocked for hours at the same time.

The Galveston subdivision was blocked for 15 hours or greater three times in the last six months. The east belt was blocked for 23 hours by a single train this year. Prolonged blockages have been shown to keep kids from getting to school, and HFD wrote to the FRA that train blockages have caused emergency response times to jump from the stated goal of 10 minutes or less to 45 minutes or more 1,500 times this year -- through the third quarter 2022. 

How can this be, trains aren't supposed to block a crossing for more than an hour at a time, surely the railroads aren't breaking this rule that they are supposed to police themselves on! And surely, even if they are following the rules, the hour they are allowed is acceptable!

That's a bit of sarcasm. 

I'm also not anti rail. There needs to be a better solution. There's not much hope of any real solution considering the state of our government. People who move here just need to accept what it is and learn to navigate around. 

23 hours ago, MexAmerican_Moose said:

what if "things" started happening to the stopped trains? won't elaborate further

https://www.vice.com/en/article/bvn7nw/train-robberies-are-back

Apologies for derailing the thread. It wasn't intentional.

I doubt the railroads are worried about customer product stolen from trains. It appears they build in protections for these scenarios into contracts. 

I came across a unique tidbit while watching the STB's public hearing on UP's growing use of embargoes, a mechanism railroads can use to temporarily reduce or completely halt service. They're typically enacted as a result of track washouts or weather-related issues.  UP has upped embargoes from 27 in 2017 to 886 through Oct. 2022, a period coinciding with its well-documented attempts to cut personnel levels.

A West Virginia coal producer VP testified that UP "lost" a 100-car consist of coal. The cars were filled at the mine site and moved on, but they had not yet reached their onward destination by testimony time. The STB chair asked about recourse, and the shipper stated its contractural language is such that UP is minimally liable for lost or damaged product. Theoretically, they could go elsewhere as a result of this preceived poor service, but the trackage rights in the area are such that UP is a virtual monopoly and moving coal by truck would make it much more expensive for end-users, putting coal at an economic disadvantage over other energy sources. So UP holds all the cards. 

Edited by JClark54
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, JClark54 said:

I doubt the railroads are worried about customer product stolen from trains. It appears they build in protections for these scenarios into contracts. 

I'd say you're right. Jesse, Walt, and Todd got away with hundreds of gallons of methylamine....

• Haha 2

Seeing it from above, sometimes I’m blown away at all the (attached or otherwise) townhomes we have now. It really wasn’t that long ago that we started building that type of housing in town, so seeing how ubiquitous they’ve become is pretty interesting.

• Like 8

I have never noticed on my drives by the place (probably because I'm only ever looking East as I drive on Jensen, but on the west side of Jensen, next to the Bayou they are turning dirt there too. 

is that the city doing work to extend a path along the bayou, or part of another project?

Edited by samagon

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2023/01/09/midway-the-studios-at-east-river-office-buildings.html

Midway adding for-sale office buildings in East River mixed-use development

Houston-based Midway has released new details on the next phase of its East River mixed-use development near downtown.

Construction of The Studios at East River, a for-sale office component consisting of three 10,000-square-foot buildings, is underway and is scheduled to be completed in June. Midway is also planning additional buildings as part of future expansion phases.

Edited by editor
Edited due to copyright. Remember to summarize and link. Don't copy and paste.
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, hindesky said:

ExhETQ8.jpg

Zooming in on the left side, I'm wondering about trail clearance under the Jensen bridge. Will the bridge be replaced as a part of this project? Or will the trail cross at grade? Or some other solution?

Or will we all just be ducking like with some of those Brays bridges in southwest?

7 minutes ago, 004n063 said:

Zooming in on the left side, I'm wondering about trail clearance under the Jensen bridge. Will the bridge be replaced as a part of this project? Or will the trail cross at grade? Or some other solution?

Or will we all just be ducking like with some of those Brays bridges in southwest?

I found a Bike Tag there once, as I recall the trail goes under part of the bridge although I didn't go beyond where I took the pic. The trail is littered with trash and glass.

eARjAkK.jpg

20 minutes ago, hindesky said:

I found a Bike Tag there once, as I recall the trail goes under part of the bridge although I didn't go beyond where I took the pic. The trail is littered with trash and glass.

eARjAkK.jpg

Yeah, it's always dipped under a bit. Was just figuring they'd want a more improved connection for ER.

On 1/10/2023 at 10:03 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

PB41iv9.jpg

sx3j85v.jpg

Nbge44W.jpg

I find it curious that the building in the northwest corner in the first photo is not in most of their layouts, but from what we do know it's likely that that the buildings to the right of that building are the build to own spots, which are also missing from most layouts. I may just be full of optimism, but if there were going to be a grocery store it would need to be accessible to major streets for ease of access. I'm guessing they are either saving that location for when HEB or another major grocery chain steps up or with the highest level of hope, they are keeping it under wraps and they will deliver the grocery store during the first phase.  

• Like 5