35 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

It must be because they just have so much land there and it will take a decade to develop it all. So what do you do that takes up a lot of land and brings in at least a little revenue? Otherwise you just leave it sitting and who knows what starts occupying it.

Revenue, and perhaps as important, activity.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2022 at 12:31 PM, hindesky said:

Any tricks on how to read these articles??? Houston chron figured out how all angles on how to block unsubscribed readers

Edited by scarface

25 minutes ago, scarface said:

Any tricks on how to read these articles??? Houston chron figured out how all angles on how to block unsubscribed readers

They didn't block me from reading it:

Midway announced additional retail tenants:

El Condor Coffee Roasters - a New York City-based coffee shop and all-day café, will open its first Texas location in a 1,500-square-foot space in the East River 1 office building.

Tomi Jewelry, a Houston-based, Asian-American woman-owned jewelry line, will open its first brick-and-mortar store on the ground floor of The Laura apartment building. The 880-square-foot boutique will overlook East Rivers’ central plaza.

Previously announced (phase 1):
Broham Fine Soul Food & Groceries
Lick Honest Ice Creams
URBN Dental
Riverhouse Houston, a restaurant and patio bar overlooking Buffalo Bayou and downtown
Event venue and rooftop bar from the owners of The Astorian

New office tenants:

Method Architecture
Teal Construction
Impact Networking

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2022 at 6:32 PM, scarface said:

I hate to sound like the downer here, but is Houston ever going to get any developments near downtown that are more centered and catered to entertainment for the masses?

Not saying that a golf course is not entertainment, but it serves a certain demographic. From what I see, It just seems like the main tenants are a dentistry and a lickem' ice cream parlor. It's just hard to get too excited about that.

The golf course will be a good addition, but I guess I just want to see a little bit more. It would be great to see more on plans on how they can better utilize the Bayou. Like some talks of some boat tours or water taxi connections between ER and downtown. Maybe throw in a comedy club in there somewhere somewhere. 

On a positive note, Midway usually has a good reputation. This place was being advertised as being Houston's version of a Riverwalk but right now, It still feels so....  business oriented! 

I mean they're just tenants. I def don't get the "business oriented" vibe. This thing is going to spur similar development around it. I can only imagine what this place will look like in 10 years. 

3 hours ago, Texasota said:

It looks like a student rendering to impart a general design and color scheme.

1. If this is what students can do these days then thats significant progress from when I was in school haha

2. We all have our sense of aesthetics, you have yours and I have mine. To me its just fine. I'm not a fan of realistic architectural renders, nor do they wow me since most people have the capability to produce these. The quality looks good to me. I think someone up'ed the bloom a bit to much. Just a tad washed out, but it seems to me they want to impart an idea that this is nice bright open space.

3. General design is fine. Its industrial chic and that is very in line with Method Architectures thing. It seems to be good approach for them. Is it my thing? .. Seen way to much now. Not that I don't like it. Just seen to much at this point.

4. Color scheme is definitely...eclectic. Its the kind of eclectic that seems to have a purpose though. I personally think this variety of color is a tad distracting for an office environment. This scheme for a candy store? Yes. This scheme for an arch firm? Not my cup of tea. It is fun looking though. Guess thats the vibe they want.

If this were me right now grading this at a criq. for final review, I would say there is nothing "wrong" with any of this, but its definitely not something I would immediately appreciate. This is simply a very specific and particular approach they want to go which I both admire, but it means it narrows the scope/amount of people whom could appreciate it.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 3