Interfaith Ministries For Greater Houston At 3303 Main St.

TGM

In somewhat related news, I noticed that the lot for the Men's Center at Alabama between Fannin and San Jacinto has been cleared. There is now a construction trailer sitting in the lot.

Awesome! I bet that will be a major feature point for the Ventana at Midtown.

"Check out the Ventana at Midtown. We're within walking distance from Midtown's hottest bars and rehab centers! Our onsite concierge/sponsor can assist you in your darkest hours. Free LifeAlert for the first 50 renters."

• Like 1

Perhaps. But I don't give them money with a view toward reforming them. Nothing I do will change their behavior.

If you don't give (and others follow suit) it will become a bad intersection and the person will move on.

Perhaps. But I don't give them money with a view toward reforming them. Nothing I do will change their behavior.

It's not about changing their behavior, it's about making funds available for things that will help them, not hurt them. Would you hand a suicidal person a bottle of pills? When someone isn't thinking clearly, why put the object of their destruction in their hands?

Believe me, I'm totally opposed to these NIMBY types on this topic, but charities are much better suited to provide aid to people, and make sure they get fed and clothed.

Edited by kylejack

Because Congress passed legislation exempting non-profits from paying income tax.

Just for the hell of it or was there some compelling reason? Something rational? Could it be taken as yet another failed attempt by congress to do... well... nothing?

We should throw the lot of them into some sort of gladiator style bouts. Or something akin to The Running Man. Either way they could fight to the death. And we could charge admission to see this - live.

• 2 weeks later...

It supports substance abuse. Take any money you'd give to individuals and give it to organizations that help the homeless.

Yesterday I saw a panhandler at an intersection that was holding up a Bud Light sign. Easily amused as I am, I just had to give him a couple of dollars. It's hard not to appreciate the honesty!

Yesterday I saw a panhandler at an intersection that was holding up a Bud Light sign. Easily amused as I am, I just had to give him a couple of dollars. It's hard not to appreciate the honesty!

Yeah I do quite like it when they're honest. I had one approach me at the Montrose/Westheimer Valero. "Man you know I'll be honest, I could really use a beer right now."

Hard to argue with that.

• 7 months later...

Redevelopment and construction have started.

IM Main Building (Redeveloped PrimeWay Building) is at Main & Stuart

New Meals on Wheels Distribution Center is going in at Fannin & Elgin

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/realestate/04-12-13-new-houston-midtown-interfaith-campus-to-be-a-big-boost-for-aging-baby-boomers/

https://www.imgh.org/images/capital_campaign_files/IM%20brochure%202.pdf - Renderings

Edited by DrLan34
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I wouldn't get upset about this. Interfaith Meals-on-Wheels delivers meals to homebound seniors over 60 (and their pets), as well as services to refugees setting in America. They provide a valuable service to the community, and as a bonus it looks like they will be cleaning up this vacant overgrown lot. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think the objection is more of a "not another, non-profit, social-service agency in Midtown"

These non-profits do not pay property taxes therefore the "best and highest use" cycle often ends with them.

I think the objection is more of a "not another, non-profit, social-service agency in Midtown"

These non-profits do not pay property taxes therefore the "best and highest use" cycle often ends with them.

"best and highest use"= maximum property taxes? The Midtown TIRZ has already been by far the most successful TIRZ in the city in terms of revenue collected, so I'm not sure I find that terribly convincing.

"best and highest use"= maximum property taxes? The Midtown TIRZ has already been by far the most successful TIRZ in the city in terms of revenue collected, so I'm not sure I find that terribly convincing.

The problem is that they end up coming off of Midtown's tax rolls. Then, crime calls tend to increase around them for complaints on vagrancy, loitering, traffic, panhandling, etc. Midtown's Constables end up fielding extra calls because of these places (which comes out of Midtown taxpayer's pockets), yet the budget to hire extra police hours has decreased.

I don't think Meals On Wheels here will be a magnet for crime, but I do think that it could attract vagrants that will want to target the workers/visitors. If Meals on Wheels has to keep calling the police, then they're taking man hours away from Midtown residents and businesses that are paying taxes for the extra protection.