Interfaith Ministries For Greater Houston At 3303 Main St.

TGM

Me too. I've worked in downtown since 1996, been all over downtown and midtown. I am as white as one can get, have never had a bum yell at me or even remotely try to get violent. Heard all the stories, have counseled a few to keep it short and sweet, rarely give them money, and never have problems.

I have often wondered what it is that some people do to get so much trouble from the same bums that never give me or my friends an ounce of trouble.

Beats me, I certainly don't good looking for interactions with bums. Just happen to live in fourth ward, frequent many midtown establishments, and walk my dogs regularly. I suppose the increases my exposure but I'd just as soon not have to deal with the bums. Living in the area I can tell you that I do notice the "regular" bums. There's one nice guy (the bald guy with a cane who usually sells flowers at all the bars on Thurs/Fri/Sat) however I've stopped helping him out after seeing him relieving himself right in the middle of the sidewalk on a Saturday afternoon a few weeks back. I don't have any tolerance for that garbage. There's a few nasty ones that hang around and tend to not be so friendly, but I see them all the time.

Don't know any way around it other than to not walk around but I'm not afraid of them so I'll continue to do so. Just don't like the image it brings to midtown when people come here and get hassled by bums, especially when much money has been spent on shelters and assistance less than half a mile away on Gray St.

I wonder how many folks on this thread consider themselves to be good Christians?

Apparently being a good Christian today means belittling the less fortunate, lacking compassions for others, and eating bland chicken sandwiches...

There's a difference between belittling and preferring they take advantage of the existing assistance infrastructure that's in place. I don't belittle their status, what good is that? But I certainly don't reinforce their poor choices in life by giving them money. Give a fish or teach to fish?

There are many shelters in place at Gray near 59. My preference is that they hang out there instead of bothering me while I sit on the patio of a restaurant trying to eat or bother me while I run into CVS for a bottle of aspirin. I don't think it's too much to ask and as a Christian, I don't think it's at all "belittling".

Edited by TonyM

There are many shelters in place at Gray near 59. My preference is that they hang out there instead of bothering me while I sit on the patio of a restaurant trying to eat or bother me while I run into CVS for a bottle of aspirin. I don't think it's too much to ask and as a Christian, I don't think it's at all "belittling".

Perhaps some sort of camp, to concentrate them in. A concentration camp, if you will...

• Like 1

Perhaps some sort of camp, to concentrate them in. A concentration camp, if you will...

Now you're just being silly.

They can walk and enjoy where ever they like. But if they're going to walk around with their hands out, at least walk where there facilities set up to cater to such things. That's the point and you know it.

Now you're just being silly.

They can walk and enjoy where ever they like. But if they're going to walk around with their hands out, at least walk where there facilities set up to cater to such things. That's the point and you know it.

I'm sure they make use of Interfaith, but that doesn't mean they're going to spend their whole life there.

I'm sure they make use of Interfaith, but that doesn't mean they're going to spend their whole life there.

They don't have to, I'm simply saying that they should take their begging and panhandling somewhere that is intended for such a purpose. Enjoy Midtown's wonderful sidewalks, parks, and facilities . . . but knock off the panhandling.

They don't have to, I'm simply saying that they should take their begging and panhandling somewhere that is intended for such a purpose. Enjoy Midtown's wonderful sidewalks, parks, and facilities . . . but knock off the panhandling.

Well, many of them have substance abuse problems, and IM doesn't provide those substances. People will beg for cash often for that purpose. It is the responsibility of residents in Midtown to say no, and to instead donate to the charities. As long as people give them money, they will continue to ask for it. I would instead call on your neighbors and visitors to Midtown to learn to say no.

I think you guys need to chill out about this. My only complaint about it is that it removes some prime property off of tax records (which could go to help police/schools in the city). You have no reason to fear there being a Meals on Wheels or admin offices nearby. The east side of Midtown will continue to grow for the better. You live in the most walkable neighborhood in the 4th largest city in the US. There will always be homeless and various strangers walking and driving around. You're literally in the middle of it all in Midtown.

I wonder how many folks on this thread consider themselves to be good Christians?

Apparently being a good Christian today means belittling the less fortunate, lacking compassions for others, and eating bland chicken sandwiches...

Well - considering most of the thread is a diatribe against Interfaith Ministries and their ilk, which by definition includes a lot of Christians (and presumably other faiths - such as Jewish, Muslim - not sure about IM's charter) I would say it is safe to assume that your assumption that most posting on this thread belittling the less fortunate are Christian is 180 degrees wrong.

But hey - snarky comments are what HAIF is all about when you don't agree with someone right - just don't insult the trees.

• Like 1

But hey - snarky comments are what HAIF is all about when you don't agree with someone right - just don't insult the trees.

These darn trees in Midtown don't do jack. They just sit around all day waiting for hugs or something.

The Maples are the worst. They want the Oaks cut down so they can see the light.

*There is a Rush song in there somewhere.

Well, many of them have substance abuse problems, and IM doesn't provide those substances. People will beg for cash often for that purpose. It is the responsibility of residents in Midtown to say no, and to instead donate to the charities.

Cracking down on the various pill mills in Midtown would also help curtail some of the panhandling. These are the places that have people lined up a 7am for "therapy".

Just don't like the image it brings to midtown when people come here and get hassled by bums, especially when much money has been spent on shelters and assistance less than half a mile away on Gray St.

They could build enough shelters to get all of them off the street but the problem is most shelters won't take them in if they are on drugs or drink so they stay on the streets. if people want to tackle the homeless problem they are going to have to approach it from a different angle. In this case shelters won't work.

They could build enough shelters to get all of them off the street but the problem is most shelters won't take them in if they are on drugs or drink so they stay on the streets. if people want to tackle the homeless problem they are going to have to approach it from a different angle. In this case shelters won't work.

Well that's the root of the problem is that most of them are drunks and/or addicts. I've offered a couple of the nicer ones food but they refuse it, would rather $3 to go buy some cheap liquor. Can't do much with that. I'll never give them money as there are outlets to help them with whatever "problems" they have (though I find that to be an excuse).

Edited by TonyM

These darn trees in Midtown don't do jack. They just sit around all day waiting for hugs or something.

The Maples are the worst. They want the Oaks cut down so they can see the light.

AAaacck! Where is the puke smilie?

Between a ex-girlfriend's brother who thought Getty Lee walked on water and a sophomore English teacher who made us in-depth study Rush - I think I'm going to break out in hives.

AAaacck! Where is the puke smilie?

Between a ex-girlfriend's brother who thought Getty Lee walked on water and a sophomore English teacher who made us in-depth study Rush - I think I'm going to break out in hives.

LOL!

Studying Rush? I think even Rush would laugh over that one.

ZZ Top was mentioned in our Texas History textbook which was pretty cool at the time. (thinking back I wonder who let a reference to La Grange slip in)

Edited by TGM

Rush Limbaugh? I didnt know he wrote songs...

I'll never give them money as there are outlets to help them ..

I mainly encounter beggars at traffic signals, but I almost always make a point to give them a dollar or two and move on. "There but for the grace of god go I," think I, so it seems like the right thing to do. Besides, is that not the more gentlemanly thing to do?

I mainly encounter beggars at traffic signals, but I almost always make a point to give them a dollar or two and move on. "There but for the grace of god go I," think I, so it seems like the right thing to do. Besides, is that not the more gentlemanly thing to do?

Sure, why not, if you consider prolonging the problem to be the gentlemanly thing to do.

It supports substance abuse. Take any money you'd give to individuals and give it to organizations that help the homeless.

It supports substance abuse. Take any money you'd give to individuals and give it to organizations that help the homeless.

That's the worse thing one could do. A very small percentage actually goes towards the homeless. No thanks. Also, you help keep these organizations around. And they don't pay taxes I think. So what's the use? No thanks. They are quite the thorn in our side.

That's the worse thing one could do. A very small percentage actually goes towards the homeless. No thanks. Also, you help keep these organizations around. And they don't pay taxes I think. So what's the use? No thanks. They are quite the thorn in our side.

I doubt you've looked that up. % going to administrative costs is public information for 501 c3 charities.

For Interfaith Ministries, the "very small percentage" going to the programs to help people is 82.1%.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3878

Edited by kylejack

I doubt you've looked that up. % going to administrative costs is public information for 501 c3 charities.

For Interfaith Ministries, the "very small percentage" going to the programs to help people is 82.1%.

http://www.charityna...mary&orgid=3878

You're right, I did not look it up. Interesting. So... someone wanna remind me why should these sorts of groups don't pay taxes?

Edited by LTAWACS