Exxon Building At 800 Bell St.

ricco67

Give it to the Houston Coalition for the Homeless/US VETS. They are doing wonderful things. When Allen Rosen wins the Precint 1 constables race he can add even more to the plan with his deep connections with Metro and US VETS. Think of it as penitence for carbon-based fuels.

44 floors. The top two are the Petroleum Club. I attended a fund raiser there one evening and there was a marvelous storm to the east, probably Anahuac or even further, but the lightening show was fantastic. This was in about 2000 but it felt like the mid-1960s. I don't think the decor had ever been changed since it opened. Kinda cool really.

Agreed. I hope it could be saved.

I still have a hard time believing that retrofit to residential would be more economic than new build. Presumably a residential conversion would require more parking, a swimming pool, balconies etc for what would be an enormously risky project.

I was thinking the same thing about asbestos abatement. A lot of buildings from that era used asbestos, and since abatement means stripping it down to the frame the cost is astronomical.

They already do rent it out. I went to a wedding reception there. The 60s big cigar vibe was awesome.

I posted to short.

Meant to say - "Assuming Exxon gives building to city. City should rent the club out to a proprietor as is. It would be a great bar/cigar club."

Give it to the Houston Coalition for the Homeless/US VETS. They are doing wonderful things. When Allen Rosen wins the Precint 1 constables race he can add even more to the plan with his deep connections with Metro and US VETS. Think of it as penitence for carbon-based fuels.

The entire building? What would they do with it? Are you meaning convert into living quarters?

The city could give a smaller building to the USVETS and then move those offices into a larger facility.

• 6 months later...

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/11-05-12-11-38-developer-of-twitter-headquarters-eyes-purchase-of-exxon-mobil-tower-for-extreme-makeover/

Shorenstein Properties, a prominent San Francisco-based developer, is negotiating to buy the 44-story Exxon Mobil building in downtown Houston in what could become a catalyst for redevelopment in the southern end of downtown.

Shorenstein’s investment programs are typically focused on “Class A” office properties – the prime buildings that get the highest rents. So buying the less-than-prime Exxon building offers a clue that Shorenstein envisions a major redevelopment of the tower.

Could his speculation be correct?

• 2 weeks later...

his speculation is probably on point assuming Shoernstein is actually considering it. how close is the SkyHouse Houston high rise site to the exxon building? IIRC they're fairly close. if so the combination of both projects could really spur redevelopment in this part of the cbd.

his speculation is probably on point assuming Shoernstein is actually considering it. how close is the SkyHouse Houston high rise site to the exxon building? IIRC they're fairly close. if so the combination of both projects could really spur redevelopment in this part of the cbd.

That's nice to think about, but a de-tenanting, gutting, remodeling, and/or re-skinning, and eventually re-tenanting of the Exxon Building will still only replace a Class A office tenant with a Class A office tenant (or tenants). Its not as though the building is painful to look at; it's just isolated is all, and seems out of place. SkyHouse is going to look sorta out of place, too.

But all I see that really will add to this part of downtown is a few hundred extra residents. That's all. That is not a catalyst.

The site is across from the proposed residential tower at 1625 Main. It is close to Midtown, so the amenitis of both the CBD and Midtown are right there.

Also, the 24 story residential on Main will be next to the 30 story Houston House. There is also what seems to be like an 8 story residential building on the corner. Good start for a concentration of residents.

• The title was changed to 2
  • The title was changed to Exxon Building At 800 Bell St.
  • The topic was unlocked

Archived