Bank Of America Tower At 800 Capitol St.

barracuda

On 8/24/2016 at 6:20 AM, Nate99 said:

Well, they still had an Alonti and some iteration of a Ninfa's, that's roughly 50% of tunnel lunch option variety covered off.

(***cue up background music from Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom***)

And so the Mole People scurry forth, in search of their nearly forgotten foraging grounds of shawarma, Thai, dumplings, banh mi, and mediocre Chinese, sniffing in wonder at the unfamiliar new smells of dosas and curries and kim chee... but wait, where's Jim???  Oh, no!!! He's back there, caught in a cluster of Chattering Slow Walkers who are even more confused than usual by their return to the narrow passageways they once obstructed...

• Like 3

Update:  The south half of the block is no longer surrounded by construction fencing.  Between that, the upcoming tunnel reopening, and Esperson's escalators to the tunnel getting fixed last week,* access in that corner of downtown is suddenly much more convenient.

*After they were flooded by a massive water leak, parts had to be ordered from a vendor that apparently handcrafts them in a tiny factory in an enchanted forest far from any road, beginning with smelting the metal from its ore.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

they're doing jack-hammer work on the sidewalk at the corner of capitol and travis today.

I think someone mentioned they were just going to build a floor level lobby and tunnel connections. I was assuming once the garage was done it would be a pretty quick endeavor. They are doing something, but it's going very slow. and whatever it is, they aren't close to done, there's still rebar sticking out of concrete, there's holes in the ground, there's a swimming pool from all the rain.

and worst of all, I still can't get from chase tower to penzoil without going on the street (shudder).

so I don't think the activity is a long-shot at signs of life for the tower, it's signs of life for completing whatever it was they started when they decided not to go full tower just yet.

at the current pace, I'm betting every other currently active downtown project is complete before this one.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 7

On 9/30/2016 at 11:29 AM, samagon said:

and worst of all, I still can't get from chase tower to penzoil without going on the street (shudder).

It is possible, but annoying... you have to go to the street level and the Chase lobby, and then go back down to the tunnel level.  It's out of the way, but it's at least out of the rain.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BUfan13 said:

can we get the text?

New York-based Skanska USA Commercial Development has retained CBRE's Houston office to begin preleasing an ambitious downtown office tower, according to multiple sources close to the situation.

The 35-story, 750,000-square-foot tower, which hasn't broken ground yet aside from its foundation being poured, has been on hold. In June, a company spokesperson told the Houston Business Journal that the company wouldn't move forward on vertical construction until market conditions improve.

"Since we self finance our (projects), we do not have set preleasing requirements," said Elizabeth Miller, director of communications for Skanska's northeast division. "Rather, we evaluate each potential leasing deal and the market conditions to determine the construction start of our projects."

The final contract between CBRE and Skanska is still being finalized, sources said. Skanska declined to comment, and CBRE couldn't be reached for comment.

• Like 5

Was Skanska previously just trying to find a tenant on their own?  Hopefully this works to get the thing built.

They are putting up wooden walls to cordon off the open construction on the Capitol side to open up the sidewalks.  Hopefully they have to close them down again.  This thing is just odd.

• Like 1

This is an exciting tower. It'll be a subtle addition to the skyline but will stick up just high enough to be seen as you round the western side of downtown on the Pierce. Hopefully we get some nice lighting features on the top or down the sides.

Edited by wxman
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

On one hand it would cover up that awful garage that Skanska built. On the other, it would put as much as 750,000 square feet of office space on the market (the rest of the tower and in the current BOA). 

I guess I lean towards option one because at least I know BOA is hurting. Why people continue to bank at that evil monster is beyond me. 

• Like 1