Houston's Next Theme Park Amusement Park

Forgive me if Im just spreading rumors, but I heard something of Tillman Ferrita (sorry if I mispelled the last name) might be considering doing something in the Bay Area. I think adding it to the Kemah Boardwalk is the plan. Again, I dont have any facts, just telling you something I heard through the grapevine.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why should they be further out?

It's already bad enough having to go out of town to see some of the bigger concerts, I think something relatively close (in Texas, relatively close can be 10 miles) to downtown.

One of the major complaints I have heard from some of the disney parks is the fact that once you get there, you HAVE to stay in the area due to their relative isolation to anything else.

if a park was located on in Katy, think of the NIGHTMARE of going to the park, doubly so if it's a DISNEY park! The Infractructure is already at capacity and by the time construction is completed, it will only be a matter of a few MONTHS after completion when it reaches capacity again.

If a park is to be built, let it be towards the south near the beltway or somewhere along the beltway where land can be relatively cheap yet has roads accessable to not cause a freeway version of a bloodclot where the whole city would suffer from a stroke in a traffic sort of way.

Forgive me if Im just spreading rumors, but I heard something of Tillman Ferrita (sorry if I mispelled the last name) might be considering doing something in the Bay Area. I think adding it to the Kemah Boardwalk is the plan. Again, I dont have any facts, just telling you something I heard through the grapevine.

Interesting, that this poster chooses the handle "Maceo", then misspells "Fertitta".

Coincidence...or perhaps something more sinister. :ph34r:

Why should they be further out?

It's already bad enough having to go out of town to see some of the bigger concerts, I think something relatively close (in Texas, relatively close can be 10 miles) to downtown.

One of the major complaints I have heard from some of the disney parks is the fact that once you get there, you HAVE to stay in the area due to their relative isolation to anything else.

if a park was located on in Katy, think of the NIGHTMARE of going to the park, doubly so if it's a DISNEY park! The Infractructure is already at capacity and by the time construction is completed, it will only be a matter of a few MONTHS after completion when it reaches capacity again.

If a park is to be built, let it be towards the south near the beltway or somewhere along the beltway where land can be relatively cheap yet has roads accessable to not cause a freeway version of a bloodclot where the whole city would suffer from a stroke in a traffic sort of way.

I agree. THis could be a great use for remediated land, which (somone correct me if I'm wrong) could be a great amount of in the near-south suburban areas of town. You can't put homes on some of this land, or you could with a lot of work. However, I would think that the requirements to hold up roller coasters and castles are a little lower environmentally.

I agree. THis could be a great use for remediated land, which (somone correct me if I'm wrong) could be a great amount of in the near-south suburban areas of town. You can't put homes on some of this land, or you could with a lot of work. However, I would think that the requirements to hold up roller coasters and castles are a little lower environmentally.

I don't think South Houston would be a good idea, considering you would have to worry about it getting destoryed by a hurricane every year. I think 290 in North West Houston would be a great location.

I don't think South Houston would be a good idea, considering you would have to worry about it getting destoryed by a hurricane every year. I think 290 in North West Houston would be a great location.

So the one in Orlando is totally Hurricane proof? Is there some sort of device they use to divert any Hurricanes going to Orlando?

And what about Disney Land in California? Perhaps its on the most "earthquake-free" zone of the entire metropolis?

So the one in Orlando is totally Hurricane proof? Is there some sort of device they use to divert any Hurricanes going to Orlando?

And what about Disney Land in California? Perhaps its on the most "earthquake-free" zone of the entire metropolis?

I think Pat Robertson is in charge of praying away hurricanes on the Atlantic. I'm not sure who got the earthquake gig on the Pacific...I'll ask God next time I see him.

:wacko:

actually Disney is 60 miles from the coast, even major hurricanes lose most of their power before getting that far inland.

though i don't think potential hurricanes should be a big concern for the location of the park in Houston. you can't be running the rest of your life because of one big scare. that's part of living on the gulf, you deal with it if it happens.

Must disagree on this one. The worst damage Houston would have from a hurricane in the area around 288 and the Belt is from wind, not storm surge. With that in mind, Houston sometimes has spring and summer severe storms that have much stronger winds than typical hurricanes would have. I said typical, not super storms such as Ivan (seems we've forgotten that one), Andrew, Katrina, Rita, and Wilma. These storms would occur much more often with their 70+ mph winds and golfball hail.

The most famous Six Flags Park is in a hot tornado area (as proven earlier this week). And tornados can have winds upwards of 250-300 mph! Like skwatra said, you can't be running skurrd forever.

I think Pat Robertson is in charge of praying away hurricanes on the Atlantic. I'm not sure who got the earthquake gig on the Pacific...I'll ask God next time I see him.

:wacko:

Actually, Orlando lost it's divine protection when Disneyland held Gay Day at the park.

actually Disney is 60 miles from the coast, even major hurricanes lose most of their power before getting that far inland.

I'll tell my buddy in Orlando that those two roofs he lost were a figment of his imagination. He'll feel much better.

I know unrelated here, but I also hate the fact that "our" main concert pavilion is out in the woodlands. I think its such a bad experience, not because of the venue, but locale. Its an hour from downtown to get out there, park about 20-30 minutes away, and then do the exact opposite when you leave. Except leaving, there is even more of a parking lot mess for some reason. All in all, its an exhausting experience. Would love to see the day when we can get more concerts closer to town.

I guess southern star used to be it, but that soon was killed by Six Flags expanding.

I'll tell my buddy in Orlando that those two roofs he lost were a figment of his imagination. He'll feel much better.

my point was Disney is a lot farther from the coast then South Houston. I know you can still get damage, i was in Central Florida a few weeks after the last two hurricane seasons. you don't need hurricane force winds to lose your roof. MCO (10 miles closer to the coast) reported only 60 mph winds from Charley.

there are chances of hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, wildfires (i was actually just near all that crap in FL, that was a first for me). i agree with Montrose1100's POV. i just don't think Disney was the best point of reference. Its only been closed twice in 35 years due to hurricanes.

When they announced the closing of Astroworld all of the articles mentioned that we would probably get a new amusement park that is farther out where the land is cheaper. In a lot of cities this is common with their amusement parks. Astroworld was very unique in that it was so close to the city center. Has anyone heard anything on this happening soon? I do remember about 7 or 8 years ago there was a rumor that Disney was scouting land north of Katy for a park but it was not going to be rides since we already had Astroworld. Now that we do not have Astroworld, it would be really cool if Disney came in here with a park of rides and more. There is so much land out there they could build another Orlando Disneyworld if they wanted to. It would give Houston a huge tourist destination and the name of Disney would be cool to have in town. Also this would be basically half way between their other 2 parks in FL and CA - nice spacing.

If it is Disney or even someone else, this could be a great opportunity for the city to get a major tourist attraction. The city leaders need to get in the recruitment mode to give us tourist attractions. I never considered Astroworld to be a tourist attraction personally.

Any rumors on anything?

Thanks.

SoonerFan's post has not been addressed. As a new poster, I think we owe him/her a reply to his/her post so here goes: There are TONS of rumors and they are just that: rumors.

With guitar clutched close to boosum, this is Hulda out!!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

B)

my point was Disney is a lot farther from the coast then South Houston.

Assuming that RedScare was talking about the area around Almeda/Bellfort/Holmes Rd ("south central Houston") and not the city of South Houston, then I have to disagree. It's about 60 miles from 288/610 to the Gulf Coast. That intersection is a bit closer to Galveston Bay, but still a good 30 miles I would bet.

If there's another amusement park to be built, I gotta agree that the areas south of the old Astroworld site are a good spot. In addition to any environmental issues, development has bypassed that area for years because it's in the wrong school district -- HISD.

Timmy, I'm not entirely sure what I was talking about. :lol:

Actually, I was pointing out that strong hurricane force winds can come inland a lot farther than 60 miles. My buddy got blasted 3 times in a couple of years, losing 2 roofs. Here is a chart showing how far inland a Cat 5 could blow.

GC13524.GIF

However, I am NOT saying that Disney or some other amusement park could not be built in, say, Brazoria County. Amusement Parks are commercial structures, built to handle huge crowds. It would not be much of an extra expense to also make them hurricane worthy. Besides, in coastal counties, it is required.

Oooops...My bad, I meant Ricco/Gov. Aggy. RedScare is talking about something else.

That's okay, I got off the conversation at the station before it derailed. I'm just waiting for the next train that gets on the tracks.

Guest Plastic

Tillman Ferittta, who is that? I think a park shoudl be further out. More room and that's where mopst of the people are anyway. there's no space within The Beltway.

Through the grapevine, hmm? Your screen name being Maceo wouldn't happen to be a coincidence, would it? :huh:

No, there are no substantial rumors of anything going up in the area. It's a shame everyone assumed someone would step right in and take Six Flags place instead of raising more of a stink about Astroworld closing. Further, people need to drop the Disney goggle eyes, because that simply isn't happening.

Kemah Boardwalk is slated to get another ride or two within the next year but don't expect it to blossom into a full fledged amusement park with world class rollercoasters or anything like that. It'll never be much more than a carnival.

Houston is the 10th largest Metroplex in the country and there's no other region with so many people and no amusement park within an hour or two's drive. But these things take years of studies and planning and fundraising. Major theme parks don't pop up overnight. Further, all the big names you're probably familiar with in the industry aren't building parks from scratch (Six Flags, Cedar Fair, Paramount, Anheiser-Busch). All the new parks that have opened or are opening in the US lately have been remodeled existing properties or independant ventures like Hard Rock (South Carolina), Oz (New York), Wild West World (Kansas).

Our best hope would have been for Six Flags to dump Astroworld on another operator. Instead they refused reasonable offers and foolishly wrecked the place believing they could get $25/psf for the land. Well they didn't, and a profitable park was needlessly demolished. The chain has been advertising the remaining parks here now, but I'm curious if anyone here has plans to visit Fiesta or Over Texas instead with the distance, price of transportation, and increased prices at those parks with new management (it costs $15 to PARK at Six Flags Over Texas now). For some reason they were banking the remaining parks would re-absorb the Houston clientele, but I just dont see that as realistic.

More room and that's where mopst of the people are anyway. there's no space within The Beltway.

how about on 288? there's plenty of space there between 610 and the beltway, especially south of Airport. that would provide good access for everyone south to west on the beltway, and only be 15 minutes from downtown.

if you put it farther you won't be catering to most of the people who are farther out, considering we have lots of communities far out in all directions.

Our best hope would have been for Six Flags to dump Astroworld on another operator. Instead they refused reasonable offers and foolishly wrecked the place believing they could get $25/psf for the land. Well they didn't, and a profitable park was needlessly demolished.

yes, we had a unique, and potentially revitalized park (if it was in the right hands). i am still a little in shock each time i drive by - what the hell happened? (rhetorical - thanks) :angry:

yeah i hope six flags gets what they deserve. i think they totally waisted a good potential market. I know myself wouldn't drive 4 hrs to Arlington or San Antonio just to hand six flags $$$.

Archived