Houston's Next Theme Park Amusement Park

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Disney should get together with Michael Crichton and create a "WestWorld" like his book/movie by the same name. :lol: They could do AlamoWorld, SanJacintoWorld, and my personal favorite, CorruptTexasPoliticsWorld, starring Lee Brown as himself. Think of how cool it would be to get in a gunfight with Ric Williamson! :lol:

No, no.. that's a bad location - too close to the plants & refineries.

I would think the far northside between the Woodlands & Conroe woul be the best area for development.

My choice woudl be in SETX north of Beaumont. Near Silsbee or even Woodville.

Lots of rolling hills and plenty of land.

Not many people are out there.

No but when Disney World was built outside Orlando, Orlando was a relatively small city and the area where the park was built was the middle of nowhere.

BTW, Woodville is my hometown. ;)

Steven, no way! OMG, we used to have a cabin on Lake Amanda (I think that's right?) but I hear the lake is all dried up now. We had it for about 7 years, from about 1980-87, we sold it when my dad died. We used to have such fun there!!! I loved it.

Wow Polly, small world, huh. I don't know if Lake Amanda is still there or not. A lot of the lakes outside town were destroyed by a freak flash flood (it never floods there) late one night in late August/early September 1996. Some A lot of dams were washed out during the storm, and some have still not been rebuilt. Not sure about Lake Amanda though; it's probably been 15 years or more since I was over in that area of the county. I know that the Ivanhoe subdivision south of town got their dams rebuilt about five years ago and has lakes once again, but for several years, there was a big crash in the local real estate market for lakeside weekend properties because so many people were trying to unload their houses and nobody was wanting to buy a "lakeside" house that just overlooked a huge stinky mud pit.

Speaking of Lake Amanda, the wife of the man who built the Harrelson Lakes development (where Lake Amanda was/is) went to the same church I did when I was growing up. The lake is named for her daughter.

• 2 months later...
Steven, no way!  OMG, we used to have a cabin on Lake Amanda (I think that's right?) but I hear the lake is all dried up now.

Fear not. Lake Amanda is still quite full of several million gallons of water.... Same goes for it's neighbor, Frog Pond.

Both can be seen in this aerial view

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=colmesneil,+...26686&t=k&hl=en

Lake Amanda is the finger shape lake. Frog Pond is the rectangle shape lake to the south of Lake Amanda. Lake Tejas is the smaller lake north of these two, actually on the north side of F.M. 256, which can be seen on the above map.

• 2 months later...
Guest Plastic

{b]When's Houston gonna get a new amusement park. Tired of Astroworld not making a new ride for 3 yuears.

Astroworld's been open since the 60s and is pretty old now. There's really no room for new rides. Other large cities like Los Angles have 2 amusement parks.

I wonder if Busch Gardens or Paramount will build a park on in this area.

Why?

Six flags has the market sewn up. San Antonio, Dallas, and New Orleans also have amusement parks.

San Antonio also has a Sea World which is slowly changing in an amusement park also.

I remember there was something there (Busch). However, for whatever reason, it no longer exists. Of course, it wasn't a theme park with lots of roller coasters, etc. Six Flags Astroworld really does need a lot of work. Personally, I don't go to amusement parks generally, but this city is in desperate need of a really nice park.

• 7 months later...

I was in Houston this past weekend visiting my girlfriend and we were driving west on 610 near Reliant. I looked to my left at the site of old Astroworld and it's completely gone! No remains what so ever of the place and a tear almost dropped my eye! Even though i thought Six Flags could've done better by Astroworld, it still hit me that Houston is without an amusement park. So now Houstonians will have to drive 3hrs or more to either Dallas(Arlington) or San Antonio to enjoy a good old nature Amusement Park. How Sad! :(

I asked my girlfriend if she thought Houston would ever get an amusement park. She said NO! And the reason why is because Six flags is the only major Amusement Park organization that does business in multiple states. So that compelled me to start this topic to see what my fellow HAIF members thought. Will Houston get another park? Yes or no. If so, how long do you think Houston will be without. Will it be another 5-10 years before Houston sees another park? Personally, i can't see a city as big as Houston be without a theme park. Be that as it may, whether Houston ever gets another outdoor amusement park or not, I think Houston will be alright either way, but it still kind of bothered me over what she said.

I was in Houston this past weekend visiting my girlfriend and we were driving west on 610 near Reliant. I looked to my left at the site of old Astroworld and it's completely gone! No remains what so ever of the place and a tear almost dropped my eye! Even though i thought Six Flags could've done better by Astroworld, it still hit me that Houston is without an amusement park. So now Houstonians will have to drive 3hrs or more to either Dallas(Arlington) or San Antonio to enjoy a good old nature Amusement Park. How Sad! :(

I asked my girlfriend if she thought Houston would ever get an amusement park. She said NO! And the reason why is because Six flags is the only major Amusement Park organization that does business in multiple states. So that compelled me to start this topic to see what my fellow HAIF members thought. Will Houston get another park? Yes or no. If so, how long do you think Houston will be without. Will it be another 5-10 years before Houston sees another park? Personally, i can't see a city as big as Houston be without a theme park. Be that as it may, whether Houston ever gets another outdoor amusement park or not, I think Houston will be alright either way, but it still kind of bothered me over what she said.

Mabe many yaers from now, but soon NO. You want to know why? Because to me Houston isn't a progressive city any more. They don't go after what they want, they are happy with what they got and don't strive for more. Any other progresive cities mayor would have jumped on a plane, flew to SixFlags Headquarters and worked out a deal with them to keep them in the city. It can be done thought and soon. All Houston needs is a plan, go meet with theme park developers and offer them tax incentives, etc. to lure them to the city.

I asked my girlfriend if she thought Houston would ever get an amusement park. She said NO! And the reason why is because Six flags is the only major Amusement Park organization that does business in multiple states.

Other major amusement park companies that do business in multiple states include:

Cedar Fair

Paramount

Anheuser-Busch

Disney

Universal

Silver Dollar City

That's just off the top of my head. Not that any of these organizations have shown any interest to build here, but they exist.

Personally, i can't see a city as big as Houston be without a theme park. Be that as it may, whether Houston ever gets another outdoor amusement park or not, I think Houston will be alright either way, but it still kind of bothered me over what she said.

There are plenty big/major cities, worldwide, that don't have amusement parks. An amusement park does not make a city. However, I understand what I believe to be your sentiment about Houston's loss of a tourist attraction and resident amenity.

There are plenty big/major cities, worldwide, that don't have amusement parks. An amusement park does not make a city. However, I understand what I believe to be your sentiment about Houston's loss of a tourist attraction and resident amenity.

We don't neccesarily NEED a theme park, but the amount of thrill-ride fans in Houston are MAD high, and the amount of neighborhoods that could use a high-revenue attraction around it are pretty high for Houston as well. The only reason why I'd EVER go to Orlando is for Islands of Adventure, or to take my girlfriend to Disney World. If there were ever an Islands of Adventure in, say, La Marque, that'd be the only reason why I'd visit there, too.

Uhm, I think the deed was done once Six Flags decided to sell Astro World. The city couldn't convince Six Flags to change its mind - Six Flags was selling the park to pay off some debts.

Mabe many yaers from now, but soon NO. You want to know why? Because to me Houston isn't a progressive city any more. They don't go after what they want, they are happy with what they got and don't strive for more. Any other progresive cities mayor would have jumped on a plane, flew to SixFlags Headquarters and worked out a deal with them to keep them in the city. It can be done thought and soon. All Houston needs is a plan, go meet with theme park developers and offer them tax incentives, etc. to lure them to the city.

I'd chip in a few bucks for a new amusement park in Houston.

But does anyone understand how much these things cost? To build a brand new amusement park the size of Six Flags in San Antonio or Dallas would probably cost over a half billion dollars. Some of the biggest and best roller coasters in the world cost over $20 million each.

But why should Houston have one? Not just because I said so but because we are simply a large metro area with warm weather most of the year. A theme park here could remain open all year long. I frequented Six Flags Great America on the north side of Chicago growing up and they're open maybe 5-6 months per year. How can Houston not be more profitable than that? Granted, the Chicago/Milwaukee metro is considerably greater than the Houston/Galveston metro but ALL-YEAR-ROUND has a major benefit.

I'll admit that I only went to SF Astroworld once in my two plus years here. But it just wasn't up to snuff in terms of thrills. But then again, once you've been to Cedar Point in Ohio, everything pales in comparison.

so what i gather from all of you is that you guys don't think Houston will get another amusement park or doesn't need one???

If not, then sadly Houston will have one less amentity as our sister cities Dallas and San Antonio

There is no doubt that the Houston area WILL get another theme park. The only question is when. There is a large demand in the Houston area and more than enough people to support it. A new park will probably be built somewhere in the suburbs 20-50 miles away from downtown where land prices are less expensive. Just about every major metropolitan area in the U.S. has a theme park within a 50 mile radius. Very few cities have large theme parks within the city limits. Houston was the exception, and that as much as anything else led to it's closure. I predict that this summer the downtown aquarium, Kemah boardwalk, and the waterparks will be packed with people looking for a place to fill the void that the loss of AstroWorld has created. I have no doubt that some smart local billionaire will eventually see the potential and capitalize on the local demand.

AstroWorld made a profit for Six Flags for most (if not all) of the years that it was in operation. This community can and will support a major theme park. Just be patient. It will probably take several years of planning and fundraising for a new park to come to fruition. Just hope someone has the vision to make it a GOOD park.

AstroWorld had some nice potential, but was severly handicapped by the lack of space to expand, parking issues, and bad publicity. Six Flags had to tear down rides in order to build new ones. Expansion was not as costs effective at AstroWorld than at other Six Flags parks. Even when I was a kid, and AstroWorld was in it's heyday, people always complained that the park was too small, compared to other parks. In recent years I have only heard bad things about AstroWorld. The park was unclean, rusted and decaying. Rides were closed too often. There were reports of riots. Worst of all, year after year there were no new rides or expansion. AstroWorld was suffering from a lot of negative publicity. My family stopped going there years ago.

The chances of the Houston area getting another or better theme park than AstroWorld were never very good when AstroWorld was in operation. Although AstroWorld left alot to be desired, any other company that might have built in the Houston area would have had to compete with AstroWorld's ten (mediocre) roller coasters, WaterWorld, and an existing asortment of attractions. But now with AstroWorld gone there is a much better chance that the Houston area will eventually get a park that people will actually like. There's no local compitition. I would not expect a large theme park company to build a park in the Houston area. Most of the theme parks in this country were built by small companies or individuals with local interest and were later sold to large theme park companies. (big mistake)

When the Oilers left Houston in 1996, a lot of people thought that Houston would never have an NFL team again. But Houston only had five seasons without pro football. Don't give up on a new theme park for the Houston area yet. AstroWorld has not even been gone a whole year.

Mister X you know, you are absolutely right. I had a whole speech typed out expressing my fear of Houstonians even caring about another park for the future, but in my gutt, I know you are correct.

As someone who loves theme parks, I know we are really going to feel the absence of the park this summer and I only hope one of the local billionaires will feel it as well and at least begin a discussion with a couple of his/her rich friends about the possibility of another park opening in Houston in the future.

I really wonder how Harris, Ft. Bend, Brazoria, or Galveston county residents feel about a county owned park? I would imagine Harris would have the most expensive land but I wonder about land in nearby counties where the land is cheaper. Or, is it possible for Harris county to purchase land in another county and run the park? A couple of hundred acres out 288, or out the Gulf Freeway, or up 59 north past Kingwood where there would be a lot of natural shade, would be ideal.

Because building the park could be expensive, the park could start out small with a couple of major rides but annually add new attractions until a full fledged park is built. It's possible.

well to Mr. X and VelvetJ, i thank you both for your optimistic words. They're quite reassuring. Mister X you really gave the best example when you used the absence of the NFL team for a couple of years and eventualy Houston saw another NFL team. So good job you two, i might be able to sleep tonight :D

• 1 month later...

When they announced the closing of Astroworld all of the articles mentioned that we would probably get a new amusement park that is farther out where the land is cheaper. In a lot of cities this is common with their amusement parks. Astroworld was very unique in that it was so close to the city center. Has anyone heard anything on this happening soon? I do remember about 7 or 8 years ago there was a rumor that Disney was scouting land north of Katy for a park but it was not going to be rides since we already had Astroworld. Now that we do not have Astroworld, it would be really cool if Disney came in here with a park of rides and more. There is so much land out there they could build another Orlando Disneyworld if they wanted to. It would give Houston a huge tourist destination and the name of Disney would be cool to have in town. Also this would be basically half way between their other 2 parks in FL and CA - nice spacing.

If it is Disney or even someone else, this could be a great opportunity for the city to get a major tourist attraction. The city leaders need to get in the recruitment mode to give us tourist attractions. I never considered Astroworld to be a tourist attraction personally.

Any rumors on anything?

Thanks.

chronicle article here.

$17 psf is a VERY reasonable price for the location. ive never heard of the group and im surprised they beat out other potential bidders. would guess that they will subdivide it and sell off portions. probably take 3 - 5 years before complete build-out.

edited to add, found their website:

angel/mciver

I agree. It doesn't look like they themselves are actual developers.

Archived