Houston's Next Theme Park Amusement Park

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oooh oooh oooh! How did I miss this one?!? OMG when I was a freshman in college in 1993 my high school alma matter's basketball team went to the state tournament. It was the first time ever any team sport from our school went that far. I wonder if that means Six Flags is going to build a new theme park in the rural Southeast Texas town I grew up in?

PLEASE... what do new golf courses (which go in with every large master planned suburban development in this city) and thriving high school sports have to do with Disney building a park here. Do you really think Walt Disney cared a thing about the Anaheim and Orlando high school sports records when he picked out the locations for the two parks they have built in the US?

Now that's a real slick idea! :lol::lol:

I-10 is undergoing a renovation that rivals the great freeways of Los Angeles. I have lived in or near Katy my entire life and never have I felt the need for a highway QUITE this large.

LMAO! The expansion of I-10 has NOTHING to do with Disney, Mickey Mouse or any other theme park. It has EVERYTHING to do with the fact that I-10 is a MAJOR FREIGHT CORRIDOR! People are delusional when they think that the Katy is being expanded for their "convenience"; i.e., to help them "get home quicker at night to be with their kids". It is a MAJOR FREIGHT CORRIDOR; the fact that politicos can paint the pretty scenario that it's being done for YOUR BENEFIT or to entice Disney to come here is easily one of the silliest things I've heard in a long time! :P

I-10 Freight Study

OK, I just heard a rumor last night that it will actually be in Galveston, and the rumor is that the Schlitterbahn groundbreaking is being held up is due to the pending purchase of Schlitterbahn by Disney:-)

OK, so I made that up. But, for argument's sake, Galveston has the water, the hotels, the terminals that could dock the Disney cruise ships, and much more. Galveston has a lot more going for it than Katy for a Disney park.

Oh, wait, aren't they building a new causeway to Galveston, I'll bet Disney made them do it....

lol, and I think that the SH 87 bridge built in Galveston will be tolled, with the proceeds going towards the state's contribution to landing Disney here! ;)

If Disney bought a bunch of land here, it would not make me think that they were coming. I would think that they want to develop it for other uses, like someone elser mentioned. It's a little known fact that McDonald's makes more money from real estate than it does from food. In fact, McDonald's might be the largest private landowner in the US--maybe even the world.

Similarly, I would not be surprised if Disney made all its money in other oh-yeah-now-that-you-mention-it-that-makes-sense ways. Besides all that, Disney was on the verge of being bought by Comcast for $66 BILLION!!! Also, Eisner is stepping down in '06 and Disney will likely change things up with a new CEO.

Would Disney come here--maybe. Is it likely? I don't think it is for at least 10-15 years.

San Antonio seems like the most likely location for a theme parked scaled to be a national attraction. People living in Houston and DFW metros will be heavy users of such a destination, being close enough for a short trip, and far enough to make the excursion a vacation.

OK, I just heard a rumor last night that it will actually be in Galveston, and the rumor is that the Schlitterbahn groundbreaking is being held up is due to the pending purchase of Schlitterbahn by Disney:-)

OK, so I made that up. But, for argument's sake, Galveston has the water, the hotels, the terminals that could dock the Disney cruise ships, and much more. Galveston has a lot more going for it than Katy for a Disney park.

Oh, wait, aren't they building a new causeway to Galveston, I'll bet Disney made them do it....

The Water? Are you kidding me?

I doubt Brown is the prefered color of water to swim in by people...

I do not know how reliable this is but it kind of goes with this thread, ok it looks like the theme park idea has been scrapped for the Astrodome. According to a co-worker of mine, who took a tour of Reliant today, she said that the plans are to not change the outside appearance, but convert the inside to a hotel. With a space mueseum, I believe in the middle, and a few restaurants.

I sort of assumed that Disney had dialed back on the idea of new theme park developments, since they haven't built a new one in 30 years or so. If for some reason they did want another, I'm not sure why Houston would be a logical place. Sad to say, DFW has a larger population base, less weather risk (arguably), and an airport with more connections.

Interesting scoop on the Astrodome, although I suspect the hotel idea will be very much a non-starter. Apparently the hotels in that area haven't done well to begin with, so I don't understand how adding more rooms would help. How would they work it as a hotel when you have to pay to get into Reliant Park? Some kind of parking pass?

A Disney theme park in the Katy Prairies would be good. That land area is huge. It doesn't have to be Disney, though. Busch Gardens, Universal, or Sea World could build something their. Houston would be a better place than San Antonio to have these types of parks even though San Antonio has a Sea World.

Why would it be "terrible"?

Further destruction of the ecosystem and wildlife habitat areas there (the Katy Prairie is a big rest area for migrating birds). More sprawl. More pollution. More traffic in an already congested area. Need I go on? Why is any of that good? Do you really want to see the western suburbs of Houston stretching almost all the way to San Antonio?

A Disney theme park in the Katy Prairies would be good. That land area is huge. It doesn't have to be Disney, though. Busch Gardens, Universal, or Sea World could build something their. Houston would be a better place than San Antonio to have these types of parks even though San Antonio has a Sea World.

Sea World goes good with San Antonio. There Six Flags is alot better then ours, and there are more "touristic" city. Orlando, Miami, San Antonio, San Diego, Los Angeles, the cities all have somthing in common. Major tourist destinations, as well as large metropolis'. Houston does not, and probibly will never fall into that list. Unless Galveston's water turns cancun blue over night, all our pollution blows up, and east, rail, and other important civil projects go underway, or we have somthing for someone to stop and say "Ooooohhh Aaaaaaah!" then theres no way Disney would consider us.

Will Disney ever build a park in Texas? I don't know. Will it ever be built in Houston? I highly doubt that.

"The Katy Prairie lies in the Texas Coastal Plain, and encompasses over a thousand square miles, (Wermund, 1994) bounded by the Brazos River on the southwest, pine-hardwood forest on the north, and the city of Houston on the east." (courtesy Katy Prairie Conservancy website).

This area is vital for wildlife - not only in Houston and Texas, but throughout the Americas. Migrating birds rely on this stopover to rest and refuel before continuing their journey. In addition, there are native species which are endangered due to shrinking habitat.

For more details, see the Katy Prairie Conservancy website - and thanks for your interest.

• 1 month later...

who cares about the Katy praries. are you kidding me. the city is going to grow and the praries are going to be torn up and have big subdivisions and shopping centers built on them. i dont know if you realize this but the houston area is growing very quickly and the population is going to double in the next 20 years and more than likely katy is going to be in the middle of the city and be completly urban in 20 years so quit worring about the reaking birds and little animals

Maybe its the fact Six Flags has roller coasters, and my boys don't wanna go to Disney World cause its "Gay"...

I didn't mean to offend anyone when I said that, I simply ment the "Gay" as in "Stupid" not of Homosexual orientation...

I'm bi, so I'm just trying to play trapese on the fence...

Hope nobody was offended!! :)

who cares about the Katy praries.  are you kidding me.  the city is going to grow and the praries are going to be torn up and have big subdivisions and shopping centers built on them. i dont know if you realize this but the houston area is growing very quickly and the population is going to double in the next 20 years and more than likely katy is going to be in the middle of the city and be completly urban in 20 years so quit worring about the reaking birds and little animals

That's stupid, you should try to preserve your enviroment any chance you get. There is no need for sprawl, there are several ways around it, but your vision is not one of them.

Talbot,

I agree that sprawl has gotten totally out of control and we don't need it. it would be best if they simply build the parkway and allow a minimum amount of exits for gas stations and keep the development along it down to a minimum.

Population and the environment can come work together, but there has to be a compromise on both ends.

People from Crosby going to Austin doesn't necessarily need to go all the way to BW8 or 610 to make their way to 290. Or a trucker shouldn't need need to go all the way to Houston to go from Seguin to Longview and add to the additional traffic problems we currently have.

At the same time,I don't think every person NEEDS to commute god awful long hours just so they can get out to nature and run off the very nature they are seeking to commune with!

Ricco

"who cares about the Katy praries. are you kidding me. the city is going to grow and the praries are going to be torn up and have big subdivisions and shopping centers built on them. i dont know if you realize this but the houston area is growing very quickly and the population is going to double in the next 20 years and more than likely katy is going to be in the middle of the city and be completly urban in 20 years so quit worring about the reaking birds and little animals"

I guess if I was a construction contractor working for a TxDOT contract... I might be inclined to agree. Or, if I didn't live here.... I guess I wouldn't care either.

There is still a great deal of land not developed around the North Beltway (Sam Houston Toll Road)...

I wish people would continue to move IN to Houston, and not the surrounding suburbs... but who could blame them? HISD cannot compare to learning and education as some of the suburban ISD's can... So, grow up in the big city, get an education? or grow up in Suburbia, and get a great education... The parents who move here mostly think about that...

As for where a "new" theme park could go, I would love to see one around Nassua Bay, or Pasadena... Theres alot of open land down 45...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived