Houston's Next Theme Park Amusement Park

what i don't get is why six flags is in so much debt? First of all, they charge an arm and a leg for the tickets. They underpay their workers and operate in many states Someone in that company is stealing. They're stealing in the same fashion as our Dr. Priscilla Slade in TSU

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of the debt stems from a chain of events in 1998. Time Warner which then owned the chain wanted out, a small time operator Premier Parks with a few b-list properties (Frontier City, Kentucky Kingdom, etc) takes out a huge loan and buys the chain off their hands for $1.9 billion. The company is never in the black again. In the subsequent few years the new Premier Parks Six Flags goes on a buying spree gobbling up all sorts struggling properties, buying lots of expensive rides, and rebranding these parks as Six Flags. Few of these parks have been able to make a return on this investment. Jazzland in New Orleans is a good example of this strategy even before the hurricane wiped it out.

Meanwhile the debt grows and grows well over $2 billion. Parks that once were taken good care of in the early 1990s like Astroworld are suddenly neglected as the larger chain siphons money around to pay for investments elsewhere. The Premier guys in their expansionist zeal make colossal bad move after bad move, such as purchasing SeaWorld Ohio for $180 million and then three years later giving up and selling it along with their Geauga Lake park to Cedar Fair for a loss. They also dumped ALL their recently aquired European parks for chump change before turning their eyes on Houston next to stem the bleeding.

After absolutely running the chain into the ground for six years, shareholders finally ousted the Premier Parks management this past winter, mere months after Astroworld went on the chopping block, but it was too late to save the park.

Interesting, that this poster chooses the handle "Maceo", then misspells "Fertitta".

Coincidence...or perhaps something more sinister. :ph34r:

Well, Maceo is my real name and I never really knew the last name of the guy. Im not even from Houston. Im in the atlanta area. I just love Houston though. I think its a wonderful city.

Let's perpetuate the "Walt Disney coming to Fulshear" myth again. I believe it will happen within 5 to 10 years.

Let's look at this angle as to why Six Flags may have sold the Astroworld property, They may have firsthand knowledge that WDW does indeed plan to come to Houston area, Six Flags will be worthless if and when it does happen, so they sell now while the property is worth a ridiculous amount of money, and is sold to one of Disney's shell companies, in exchange, Six Flags has to be hush hush about the deal because that is just the way Disney operates, so that they can keep buying all surrounding land out in the pastures at ridiculously low prices for future venues. :D

Well, Maceo is my real name and I never really knew the last name of the guy. Im not even from Houston. Im in the atlanta area. I just love Houston though. I think its a wonderful city.

(Maceo recieves 300 cool-points. 150 for the positive Houston comments, and 150 for a cool-sounding name)

Six Flags is in debt because they overspent and over-invested, and never made the money back that they expected to. Some genious thought they could make Six Flags a theme-park monopoly, and jacked up the theme park 4 life :lol::rolleyes:

I feel sorry for all the theme parks under Six Flags' name. I'd be looking to be sold before Six Flags shut down the entire chain, which will probably happen in a few years if they don't start paying off that debt.

I do expect Houston to get a new theme park at least announced within the next 10 years, and it wouldn't surprise me if it were privatly owned, even though I wish it were Universal Studios involved. It sure as hell won't be Six Flags, and that's a good thing (insert Martha Stewart Picture here).

No way Disney builds in Houston. They want everyone to go to Disney World. And anyway, they aren't really into roller coasters, they are more into theme than thrill.

I am a WDW junkie, I even have a leftover "E Ticket", for those who know what that is, you know your Disney.

I have heard more info., no more than 5 months ago, that a shell company has indeed bought land in the Fulshear area, reportedly around 50,000 acres. I have loved the "myth" since it was started about 20 years ago. There is a Disney thread on here somewhere. You should read it, there are tons of reasons why Disney SHOULD build around here. You have west coast, east coast, and now they can do the 3rd coast. Think about this, people that live in and around this part of the U.S. have 2 choices, drive or fly all the way to Cali, or drive or fly all the way to Florida. Texas is smack dab in the middle, You have 3 major cities to pull from in this state alone. You have dignitaries that bring their families here all the time, You have Saudi Oil Princes, and the like, that come here to do business all the time and bring their families. If we got politicians, both local and state, to give Disney a tax break or three, I think they could easily be swayed to come over here. :D Until it happens though. Me and the other Lostboys will be waiting patiently for Steamboat Willie to get his ears in gear and get down here.

20+ years ago there was rumor that Disney bought several thousand acres in East Texas... within 100 miles of Six Flags-Arlington. Obviously nothing every happened there. I've heard the Fulsher area rumor myself, and obviously hoping it does come to fruitation.

We are going to WDW in a few weeks. Myself, another single mom, and 5 kids, in a Van. Please pray for our sanity during the long drive there and back. I've never been and cannot wait for the experience.

20+ years ago there was rumor that Disney bought several thousand acres in East Texas... within 100 miles of Six Flags-Arlington. Obviously nothing every happened there. I've heard the Fulsher area rumor myself, and obviously hoping it does come to fruitation.

We are going to WDW in a few weeks. Myself, another single mom, and 5 kids, in a Van. Please pray for our sanity during the long drive there and back. I've never been and cannot wait for the experience.

I have never met or shook hands with as many celebrities as I have anywhere else than WDW :) Have fun with your friend and kids, and let us know if you enjoyed your trip there :)

I can't see Disney building a major theme park in America again anytime soon. I'm not sure if Disney's in all that great shape financially just yet. They've been focusing on other countries recently, and EuroDisney's alwayz been having trouble from what I recall. I CAN see Disney building something in the Houston area similar to what they have in Chicago.

I think a theme park that's roller-coaster dependant would be a success in Houston. Let's hope that somebody's smart enough in that industry to pull it off.

So I was watching an episode of "The Brady Bunch" last night. The one where the Bradys visit a theme park in Cincinnati (not sure of the park; I'll have to look it up) It reminded me so much of when we see early footage or photos of Astroworld. This was probably mid-70s. Maybe some of you have actual memories. It had its own version of the Wagon Wheel, the old taxi cars, a lot of simaliarites. Same early Astroworld vibe. I'm sure a lot of theme parks did back then, but gave me the warm fuzzies and made me sad at the same time.

So I was watching an episode of "The Brady Bunch" last night. The one where the Bradys visit a theme park in Cincinnati (not sure of the park; I'll have to look it up) It reminded me so much of when we see early footage or photos of Astroworld. This was probably mid-70s. Maybe some of you have actual memories. It had its own version of the Wagon Wheel, the old taxi cars, a lot of simaliarites. Same early Astroworld vibe. I'm sure a lot of theme parks did back then, but gave me the warm fuzzies and made me sad at the same time.

was it this episode?

http://www.tv.com/the-brady-bunch/the-cinc...07/summary.html :D

The park the Brady's visited is Paramount King's Island in Ohio. Indeed the park resembled 1970s Astroworld remarkably at the time of filming, and last time I visited the place about 5 years ago I was struck out how it had developed the way Astroworld SHOULD have if Six Flags hadnt mucked the place up over the last ten years of the park's life.

Paramount owns about three other parks, but they havent expanded or built anything new in a long time. I was really hoping they might buy our park if Cedar Fair didn't want it, but again Six Flags was not interested in reasonable offers.

I am very familiar with Kings Island in Cincinnati. I used to live in Lexington, KY and drove up at least twice a summer to go. Excellent roller coasters especially the Beast (wooden rollercoaster). Also the racer. Has 2 tracks that run parallel and race each other. One goes frontward and the other backwards. I wish Houston could have an amusement park like Kings Island. It was out in the burbs too with plenty of land around it to grow and did just fine. They seemed to add a new major ride every off season.

Disney Sweatcot Center? Though in truth Orlando weather is every bit as dreadful as Houston's.

I would think that Disney would be more likely to go with San Antonio, since it is already the tourist hub of Texas and Disney does quite well with similar competition in Orlando (think synergy.) Plus SA is also draws well from Mexico, and slightly better weather/humidity and scenery. Then again, Houston's closing in on 6 million with 125,000 new every year, so who knows.

Fertitta, Fertatta, Soprano's, HerTatta's, what's the difference?

Kemah probably doesn't have enough room to do a full-blown park, and would the NIMBY's down there even allow it? They'll scream about too much traffic, and haven't they been fighting the 146 freeway/tollway tooth and nail?

The Bay Area is San Francisco. What is it with Houston boosters that they want to copy names from somewhere else for every stinkin' thing? Ever consider originality? Ever clue in on the fact that almost all the names of all these places they are copying were originally unique? Heck, why build another Astroworld, Houston and all its kitschy virtual fake-front scenes, copycating vignettes plopped all over the place IS an Astroworld, just on a larger scale.

All that is missing is to dye the bayou water bright Koolaid blue and run tour boats on tracks (already have the gunfire and giant weeds to recreate the Jungle Boat ride.) And there are more than a few Abdominal Snowmen at some of the 24 Hour Fitnesses (though most of the time no one is riding by and whopping them with baseball bats.)

Seriously, though, Galveston would make a lot of sense for a Houston theme park, but at some point land prices will rule out that option. Until the inevitable major hurricane hits.

As an aside, it was announced today that Cedar Fair has purchased all the Paramount parks (including King's Island) from CBS/Viacom for $1.2 billion. Averages out $270m/park.

Shame CF couldn't pick up Astroworld for even a third of that price instead of it being demolished.

• 6 months later...

Six Flags might be selling Splashtown so they can focus on their parks that profit more.

Why aren't theme parks working in Houston? Is it the heat, the price?

I wonder how Six Flags Over Texas and Fiesta Texas are making out. You would think it wouldn't be too hard for one to do well here.

I bet Schlitterbahn is stealing a good bit of their business.

I wonder how Six Flags Over Texas and Fiesta Texas are making out. You would think it wouldn't be too hard for one to do well here.

Fiesta Texas is doing great from what I have read and have the best "live entertainment" of all the Six Flags parks.

Schitterbahn was smart with the indoor parts, they will survive and be successful.

Fiesta TX and the others were about 25-30 years newer than Astroworld, of course they were going to be successful. The more the better as they drive each other's business.

With that said, Houston is a booming metro of some 5.4 million and travel costs are getting higher and higher. I think somebody will come in and test this market's potential again.

I don't think it's an issue with theme parks in Houston as much as it's an issue with Six Flags. Apparently they're not able to run a profitable theme park...and not just in Houston...the article mentioned they're looking to sell 9 parks.

But I don't think theme parks are very profitable businesses as it is. The younger generations now are soaked in virtual reality video games and digitally-enhanced DVD's before they're old enough to climb onto their first merry-go-round. Roller coasters were a big thrill 100 years ago. Now they're ridiculously expensive to build and a liability nightmare. I go to park, wait in line for an hour (in the hot sun), and then get a 90-second ride? A kid these days could theoretically have more fun with a GameBoy on the ride home in the minivan than on all the rollercoasters at the theme park.

Unlike Dallas-Fort Worth and San Antonio, Houston also has a beach. When it gets hot and even muggier during the long Houston summers than it does in the other big Texas cities, the beach is the #1 draw. That's probably why 2 out of the 2 theme parks left in Houston are water parks. Splash Town is obviously doing better financially than Astro World was doing, or it would be closed already. Contrary to that article, I bet Splash Town stays open for a number of more years. Even with Schlitterbahn open now.

Someone's got to reinvent the theme park concept. The whole idea of virtual reality rides is a step in the right direction. Not to mention it's got to be more cost-effective. For example, it had to be a lot, lot cheaper to build Disney's MissionSpace virtual ride than it cost to build Space Mountain (in inflation-adjusted dollars).

I think the roller coaster model is just too passive for generations raised on video games. Sitting on a bench next to some other people while you're moved around to different sights - that doesn't cut it like it did in 1900, before there was TV, radio, or computers. Something like laser tag is more enticing for kids these days to get up from the couch, because it allows almost complete control and interaction with their environment. I'd like to see a theme park where you strap on a VR helmet, VR gloves, and maybe even grab a light sabre or laser gun, and walk through the park making your own adventure. Maybe at one point you'd hop in a go-cart and drive around doing battle with the aliens. You'd do battle with other guests as well as robots. And digital images of foes would be coordinated across the visor screens of all the guests by wireless networks. So 3 people in your party would all see the same digital dragon in the same place at the same time - and all be able to interact with it collectively at the same time. So if 1 person killed it, the other 2 wouldn't have to. Essentially it would be like a real-life video game.

Six Flags might be selling Splashtown so they can focus on their parks that profit more.

Why aren't theme parks working in Houston? Is it the heat, the price?

I think the issue was with Six Flags, not with Houston. They purposely stopped putting money into Astroworld in the form of new rides and upkeep a couple of years before they pulled out. Then they cited a decline in attendence as a reason for leaving. I believe they engineered the demise of Astroworld in order to sell the land. Did you ever notice how much cleaner it was at Fiesta TX vs. Astroworld? And they had the same parent company. It was gross standing in line at Astroworld the last few years, gum and spit and vandalism everywhere.

I think Houston is very much in need of an Amusement Park, it's just a matter of where is there room to build it with great accessability?

Archived