Walmart Supercenter At 111 Yale St.

HeyHatch

Walmart at Yale & I-10: For or Against  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Q1: Regarding the proposed WalMart at Yale and I-10:

• I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Q2: If/when this proposed WalMart is built at Yale & I-10

• I am FOR this WalMart and will shop at this WalMart
    • I am FOR this WalMart but will not shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart but will shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart and will not shop at this WalMart
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Q3: WalMart in general

• I am Pro-Walmart
    • I am Anti-Walmart
    • I don't care either way
    • Undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

Redscare, what day? I looked back over a month and couldn't find any reference to a greenfield on the Stop the Heights Walmart facebook page. In what context was it said?

Look at the comments under the alligator story. The July 17 post by Stop The Heights Walmart begins...

373718_139262986085683_1775233094_q.jpgStop the Heights Wal-Mart! ‎@Michael: The Walmart and Kroger sites were formerly greenfields.

This is patently false in regard to both sites. A quick glance at Google Earth Historical as recently as April 2006 clearly shows industrial sites at both locations. Perhaps Stop The Heights Walmart editors do not know what a greenfield is, but they clearly mislabeled both sites.

Quizno's

Check cash store

AT&T store

Mattress Firm

Chipotle

Wings n Things (I wish)

Spec's (I wish more)

Starsucks

Bed bath and beyond (please god no)

Marble slab

Chuck e cheese (at which point the anti-burbanites' heads explode!!!!)

Chronicle is reporting the new tenants

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2012/07/new-tenants-for-heights-area-walmart-center-announced/

JP Morgan Chase

Taco Cabana

Visionworks

Sport Clips

Jersey Mike’s

Nailtime

GNC

GameStop

Corner Bakery

Starbucks

Verizon

Which Wich

Chipotle

So it is as bad as it seems both a walmart and a starbucks, nail salon, bank, and a liqour store (not listed above but the sign is already up.)

• Like 1

http://blog.chron.co...nter-announced/

JP Morgan Chase

Taco Cabana

Visionworks

Sport Clips

Jersey Mike’s

Nailtime

GNC

GameStop

Corner Bakery

Starbucks

Verizon

Which Wich

Chipotle

So it is as bad as it seems both a walmart and a starbucks, nail salon, bank, and a liqour store (not listed above but the sign is already up.)

Regular old one stop suburban plaza. You cant escape it.

• Like 1

http://blog.chron.co...nter-announced/

JP Morgan Chase

Taco Cabana

Visionworks

Sport Clips

Jersey Mike’s

Nailtime

GNC

GameStop

Corner Bakery

Starbucks

Verizon

Which Wich

Chipotle

Feels almost like it's some strip center in a craptastic Towne Centre way the eff out in Woodlands, Katy, Sealy, SugarLand, etc, etc, ad nauseam.

Don't worry. In a few years the 24-hour check cashing place, used mattress store, criKet, work source, 24-hour game room, and touristas americanos will set up shop within or directly across the street from this place.

• Like 1

Look at the comments under the alligator story. The July 17 post by Stop The Heights Walmart begins...

373718_139262986085683_1775233094_q.jpgStop the Heights Wal-Mart! ‎@Michael: The Walmart and Kroger sites were formerly greenfields.

This is patently false in regard to both sites. A quick glance at Google Earth Historical as recently as April 2006 clearly shows industrial sites at both locations. Perhaps Stop The Heights Walmart editors do not know what a greenfield is, but they clearly mislabeled both sites.

I'm sure they really meant WAY back before the industrial sites were built....

So the new meme should be that Wal-Mart closed down an American Steel Mill and built a store that imports steel bicycles made by Chinese kids beaten twice daily.

• Like 2

Actually, there are two within walking distance of my house. This likely explains why I have no concerns about either Hardie or Walmart. However, it appears that only beer and liquor have this effect. Wine appears to cause tight sphincters, thus lowering tolerance for Walmarts and James Hardie products. As more wine bars open in and near the Heights, sphincter tightening has risen to epidemic levels, causing much fear and loathing of James Hardie and Sam Walton.

• Like 1

So the new meme should be that Wal-Mart closed down an American Steel Mill and built a store that imports steel bicycles made by Chinese kids beaten twice daily.

Which would be wrong, since the steel plant was closed for years before WalMart came along

Which would be wrong, since the steel plant was closed for years before WalMart came along

Yes, but the untold story is that Sam Walton in a Galt-like move visited the steel mill and convinced the owner to quit and join him up in the Ozarks.

Yes, but the untold story is that Sam Walton in a Galt-like move visited the steel mill and convinced the owner to quit and join him up in the Ozarks.

That makes sense. I just had not considered the possibility. I am no match for those stratgic thinkers in Bentonville.

Edited by Ross

When did a liquor store become a bad thing?

Its not a bad thing and for the folks who live under the yale street bridge, they have more potent options than what is sold at the gas station.

I am only contrasting the idea that was initially proposed ( tree lined biking and walking trails with unique shopping and dining) to what actually gets built ( a standard crappy stip mall copied and pasted from some anonymous place).

Feels almost like it's some strip center in a craptastic Towne Centre way the eff out in Woodlands, Katy, Sealy, SugarLand, etc, etc, ad nauseam.

Don't worry. In a few years the 24-hour check cashing place, used mattress store, criKet, work source, 24-hour game room, and touristas americanos will set up shop within or directly across the street from this place.

The check cashing store is called "Loan Depot", their sign is up already.

Its not a bad thing and for the folks who live under the yale street bridge, they have more potent options than what is sold at the gas station.

I am only contrasting the idea that was initially proposed ( tree lined biking and walking trails with unique shopping and dining) to what actually gets built ( a standard crappy stip mall copied and pasted from some anonymous place).

I realize that Ainbinder said that he hoped to get those types of tenants, but after a very vocal group promised to boycott any store or restaurant that located there, is it any surprise that the tenants that signed leases are those that can afford to weather a threatened boycott and those who cater to a clientele different from those who threatened to boycott? Are you suggesting that the boycott threats were not sincere, or are you suggesting that no one should pay any attention to those who threaten boycotts? Didn't RUDH and its supporters get exactly what they bargained for, a bunch of stores that they will never shop at?

I suggested way back when this all started that a better approach would be to negotiate improvements, since there was no legal way to keep Ainbinder or Walmart out. The enlightened set ignored me. They are now getting what they deserved. They really have no on else to blame. Even zoning would not have kept that development out. So, enjoy the fruits of your labor.

• Like 2

I realize that Ainbinder said that he hoped to get those types of tenants, but after a very vocal group promised to boycott any store or restaurant that located there, is it any surprise that the tenants that signed leases are those that can afford to weather a threatened boycott and those who cater to a clientele different from those who threatened to boycott? Are you suggesting that the boycott threats were not sincere, or are you suggesting that no one should pay any attention to those who threaten boycotts? Didn't RUDH and its supporters get exactly what they bargained for, a bunch of stores that they will never shop at?

I suggested way back when this all started that a better approach would be to negotiate improvements, since there was no legal way to keep Ainbinder or Walmart out. The enlightened set ignored me. They are now getting what they deserved. They really have no on else to blame. Even zoning would not have kept that development out. So, enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Agreed.

And I think it is interesting that the set of folks who abhor this development likely don't live within a proximity where they will be directly impacted for better or worse. In speaking with my brother over the weekend, who could throw a rock from his apartment and hit the Walmart, he's pretty excited about it. He doesn't own a vehicle and the prospect of more dining options and a grocery he can walk to is great.

I'm no Walmart fan but it's redevelopment of some unused old land, big deal. Not like we needed more townhouses crammed in there anyway.

Edited by TonyM

The developer is 100% responsible for how this thing turned out. All those involved with the development have been in Houston for decades and have no excuse for not knowing that the neighborhood would not welcome a Walmart. Further, the development is probably getting the same tenants it would have gotten with or without any pushback on the Walmart. No "chef-driven" restaurant in the world would share a development with a Walmart. It is telling that Ruggles Green and Sonoma are willing to go through all of the trouble with building out space in the Heights that does not have much parking and running into all kinds of permitting delays when all those issues could be avoided by taking a spot in the Walmart development. It is not just the threat of a boycott that is keeping tenants out. It is the fact that the development is anchored by a big ugly Walmart with all of the traffic, crime and litter that come with a Walmart that is keeping anything decent out of that development.

There has never been any kind of organized boycott aside from an occasional comment on a facebook page or message board. Many of the tenants announced recently in the press release have been up on Orr and Ainbinder's website for months. Opponents could have started campaigns to get those tenants to reconsider, but have instead been working to make sure the Yale St. bridge is eventually made safe for Walmart's 18 wheeler traffic.

No one bothered to negotiate for improvements because the developer and Walmart were going to do whatever they wanted to do. The City supposedly had 6 mil in leverage to get "improvements" to the development. What did they get? Brick facade? Whooppppeee. Some trees that are a smidge wider than required? Wowsers. If the City can't get squat with 6 mil what in the world are a bunch of residents supposed to be able to get?

...If the City can't get squat with 6 mil what in the world are a bunch of residents supposed to be able to get?

Heights-Norhill Little League sponsors, that's what. You don't hate kids too, right?

Edit: And jobs! Got two teenagers who need gas money.

Edited by fwki

There is almost nothing negative at all about this development, whichas far as I can tell is why the primary opponents have had to turn magnifying glasses and complaints onto a bridge which has always been there.

I have to agree, 74 pages of posts that amount to nothing, although I do appreciate the progress reports and photos since I have used alternate routes during construction. We used to call that neighborhood west of the steel mill Crackton. That mill made many of the bridge super structures around Houston until it got hemmed-in and couldn't easily transport the wide and tall loads to job sites. And Crackton made many of the crimes in the Heights. But here I go again waxing on about the good ole days.....

It's important to realize that s3mh only moved here a couple of years ago, so he is completely unaware of the thrill that was cruising Crackton. He didn't know what the steel mill looked like, as it was gone when he arrived. I guess he can be forgiven his ignorance, as he is a newbie.

What is strange is that such a newb can claim to be an expert on the hoods we've lived in for years before he got here.

The only real "negative" is that there is a ridiculous perceived opportunity cost that something "really, really super awesome that everyone in the Heights would love and would make this the premiere place in the entire city to go to!" would have been built there instead

The only real "negative" is that there is a ridiculous perceived opportunity cost that something "really, really super awesome that everyone in the Heights would love and would make this the premiere place in the entire city to go to!" would have been built there instead

So you're saying we missed out on a year round Renaissance village selling turkey legs, patchouli oil, and featuring a Trebuchet that could target Oxford? Darn.

TRF_centaur.jpg

Edited by TGM
  • Like 1

I absolutely do not get that belief. It is a terrible location for anything other than retail. It abuts a rail line, it was a hideous brownfield, and is surrounded by apartment parking garages and rundown buildings. No one complaining about this lost opportunity would have bought in that development. These complainers are simply trying to impress their friends with their Walmart hating. The arguments do not even make sense. Traffic? It is a 4 lane road next to a freeway. Trees? They actually complained about trees being planted in Walmart's parking lot. Strip centers? Even Kirby and Uptown has them. And it is not a walkable area, given the rail line, overpass, two four lane roads adjacent to each other, 10 lane freeway, and a 5 lane road to the south. It is really only useful for what was built there. But, being sensible in one's thought process does not earn one enviro-hipster street cred. Hating on Walmart and screaming "MIXED USE" is what it's all about.

• Like 2

I don't see why a heights resident would complain at all, either. Its convenient retail space where something you may need or want to go to might open just a simple trip down Yale and across a major freeway so it's buffered from the neighborhood. It's like almost a wet dream location if you understand that shopping centers you go to have to exist somewhere.