Walmart Supercenter At 111 Yale St.

HeyHatch

Walmart at Yale & I-10: For or Against  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Q1: Regarding the proposed WalMart at Yale and I-10:

• I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Q2: If/when this proposed WalMart is built at Yale & I-10

• I am FOR this WalMart and will shop at this WalMart
    • I am FOR this WalMart but will not shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart but will shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart and will not shop at this WalMart
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Q3: WalMart in general

• I am Pro-Walmart
    • I am Anti-Walmart
    • I don't care either way
    • Undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

not if I wanted to have it Friday night... last minute decision to go camping... but I'm glad that because I shopped at Walmart you just assume I'm too dumb to order something online instead of the more logical thought that I needed it quickly.

not if I wanted to have it Friday night... last minute decision to go camping... but I'm glad that because I shopped at Walmart you just assume I'm too dumb to order something online instead of the more logical thought that I needed it quickly.

Shipping costs for 30 minute delivery could be astronomical, unless you're ordering a pizza or Chinese. You probably made the wise decision.

• 3 weeks later...

Just FYI - The tree plan for the Walmart has been changed quite a bit. There will be no street trees except for four 1.5-inch trees at Yale and the feeder - probably crepe myrtles. No trees at all on Yale or Koehler. Fewer trees on the Heights esplanade. They are mitigating all the caliper inches removed except for 6 inches (the four crepes) within the parking lots (and not on the edge to shade the sidewalks).

And we're paying for this via the 380. We're paying to remove $200K to $300K worth of live oaks and replace them with Walmart parking lot trees.

Just FYI - The tree plan for the Walmart has been changed quite a bit. There will be no street trees except for four 1.5-inch trees at Yale and the feeder - probably crepe myrtles. No trees at all on Yale or Koehler. Fewer trees on the Heights esplanade. They are mitigating all the caliper inches removed except for 6 inches (the four crepes) within the parking lots (and not on the edge to shade the sidewalks).

And we're paying for this via the 380. We're paying to remove $200K to $300K worth of live oaks and replace them with Walmart parking lot trees.

This is why I don't go to walmart.

Parking lot trees probably aren't "shade trees". And they belong to Walmart, not the public. This development was supposed to be "better" because of the 380, specifically as to sidewalks and trees. It's not. It's worse. Yale and Koehler should be tree-lined.

Oh, I don't know. I bet the Walmart trees will have limbs and leaves and all the other cool things that Heights or Target trees have. I'm willing to bet that if one stands under them they may even block the sunlight, providing 'shade' as it were.

I am a bit concerned about the part where Walmart owns them. Will Walmart prevent us from looking at their trees, or standing under them? Will Walmart not let their trees play with the other neighborhood trees? If so, can I prohibit you from looking at my trees?

By the way, I like the improvements to Yale. But, then again, I am not prohibited from looking at Walmart's trees. The area looks better if you can look at...and more importantly, appreciate...all of the trees, rather than just some of them.

Parking lot trees probably aren't "shade trees". And they belong to Walmart, not the public. This development was supposed to be "better" because of the 380, specifically as to sidewalks and trees. It's not. It's worse. Yale and Koehler should be tree-lined.

I don't think they'll be segregating the oxygen provided by those trees. We all get to breathe it.

7646822482_b9b9dfbf7b_z.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, my comment about giving all the city's property to Walmart was silly - we don't need to give them anything else.

But it's not silly that the City told us that the 380 will make the development better, specifically as to sidewalks and trees when it actually makes the development worse as to sidewalks and trees. The public expected tree-lined sidewalks, instead, they got more than nine 22-year-old oaks cut down and replaced with four 1.5-inch crepe myrtles. It's wrong. The City isn't holding Walmart to Chapter 33, they aren't holding them to the replat of Koehler that required 4-inch trees on Koehler. They aren't even holding them to the original approved planting plan. This is not a "better" development, it's subpar.

Yes, my comment about giving all the city's property to Walmart was silly - we don't need to give them anything else.

But it's not silly that the City told us that the 380 will make the development better, specifically as to sidewalks and trees when it actually makes the development worse as to sidewalks and trees. The public expected tree-lined sidewalks, instead, they got more than nine 22-year-old oaks cut down and replaced with four 1.5-inch crepe myrtles. It's wrong. The City isn't holding Walmart to Chapter 33, they aren't holding them to the replat of Koehler that required 4-inch trees on Koehler. They aren't even holding them to the original approved planting plan. This is not a "better" development, it's subpar.

Source?

Will the HAHC mandate that the new bridge be constructed using only vintage material and engineering methods? Sure, they don't actually have a say in the matter, but you know..

Close.

Complicating factors in design planning and length of construction include the bridge's span over the White Oak Bayou, which would get the Harris County Flood Control District involved, and its designation on the National Register of Historic Places, which mandates that any redesign would incorporate the current aesthetic features of the bridge.

The question now becomes, "Will RUDH applaud this decision, or will they complain about the cost to replace it?"

Houston19514, did you see the link I posted previously to the approved planting plan? That plan is no longer valid. I don't have a link for the new plan, but if I find one, I will post it. I do appreciate you asking for the data and I wish I could provide it to you now.

Red, the City is on the hook for around $115K worth of cosmetic work on the current bridge - plus 20% overhead and unknown interest. Yay new balusters and paint!

I drive by this thing every single day, twice per day, and even though I do not personally shop at Walmart, the development on the Walmart side of Yale is not ugly....I dont really know what you think you deserve, or why you think you deserve anything, but as far as Walmarts, and for that matter strip centers in general go this thing is beautiful....Look at the Kroger on 11th, or any of that crap that is on 11th between I-10 and 11th...its all Hideous...this story is quite beautiful in comparison....even the sub-tenant shops are being made of a very attractive stone.

If you dont like this, you just don't like strip developments in general. If you don't like strip center developments you need to move to another country as these styles are all that is being built EVERYWHERE. Its not isolated to Houston or Texas - its the entire country. Its not necessarily a trend I like, but landlords want money and strip centers cost less to make, command similar rents to standalone buildings, and are more easily rented to just about any type of business.

You are just banging your head against a wall complaining about it b/c nothing is going to change....ever.

Red, not wanting to pay for cosmetic work on a bridge that is schedule to be demolished is not the same as not wanting to pay for the bridge to be replaced. I'm all for replacing the bridge. I think that is what public money is for - public infrastructure.

Marksmu, I don't object to the development itself, I object to the City saying the 380 is going to make it better, specifically as to sidewalks and trees. I think I've typed "specifically as to sidewalks and trees" in here a few times. We are paying for the sidewalks and trees. The trees are going into the Walmart parking lot. Mitigation of demolished trees in the ROW calls for trees replaced in the ROW. Chapter 33 calls for street trees. There are none. Why? The replat of Koehler calls for street trees. There are none. Why? How is no trees better than trees?

I object to the 380. And I will continue to object to the 380. And I hope that someday the City will not be able to enter into this kind of deal.

Houston19514, did you see the link I posted previously to the approved planting plan? That plan is no longer valid. I don't have a link for the new plan, but if I find one, I will post it. I do appreciate you asking for the data and I wish I could provide it to you now.

Yes, I did see that link. Where did you learn that they have changed the landscaping plan?

trees, regardless of their location help reduce heat, they don't care whether they are planted in a walmart parking lot, or a median, or over a sidewalk.

honestly, it's far cheaper for YOU AND I if these trees are planted on walmart property, guess what happens when construction is done? Someone has to keep them watered, that's on walmart now.

the 380 might be something you and I are paying for immediately, but the fact is, the money will be paid back, and we will have less costs involved in the long run.

out of all the anti-walmart rhetoric displayed here, this is truly the most silly.

edit: it is true that there will be less shade over the sidewalk, and in the median, but (and this is going to be especially true once the feeders are completed) who is going to walk form the north of i-10 under i-10 to get to walmart on yale, or any of the other places beyond walmart?

Edited by samagon

samagon, there should be trees in the walmart parking lot AND along the streets. The median already has trees. Developers are supposed to keep the street trees alive for 2 years. The live oaks on Yale survived for 22 years. For the 380 - they pay now, we pay them back later plus unknown and uncapped interest.

nobody is going to walk from I10 along Yale to get to Walmart, but they might swim (bridge being torn down joke).

Houston19514, from a low-ranking government official.

I'm OK with the 380. I think the street improvements are worth the money spent. I like the cleaning up of that brownfield. I even think the design of the Walmart is fairly good for a big box. That the Walmart haters despise it is simply gravy.

I did not realize it was a brownfield, which now makes me want to support them even more. Brownfields are the liability hot potato that no one wants to face risks on. Can't really build homes on them, forget community gardens or parks, shopping centers are pretty much it.

Yes, it was a steel mill for decades. Walmart haters try to make it sound as if Walmart came in and ruined an idyllic pasture, but it was a rusting steel mill. The 'Stop The Heights Walmart' Facebook page even blatantly lied, calling it a greenfield the other day.

From+Steel+Mill.jpg

Edited by RedScare