President Bush

groovehouse

So how is this going to work? Is it a tax credit that will be applied to your 2007 tax filing?

They are going to send you a check in the mail - provided your AGI is less than 75K/year. I think you have to file your 07 return... they use that as your AGI basis, then mail you a check. That's why you have to file a return to be eligible.

• 1 month later...
A message for everyone receiving some of my tax money:

You're welcome. Enjoy it. Buy locally produced recreational drugs.

thanks for your sarcasm

rich folks spend their "free" money on drugs

poor folk'll budget that in to cope

but considering some of us don't get to eat three meals a day and work 10-14 hour days

in an underpaid profession

this money will get stretched as far as possible

and after this post, I get to go home now

that is the life of an architect.

Edited by infinite_jim

Enjoy my money!

I paid more than enough taxes last year. It's more like I'm being given some of MY money back.

Haven't received the check yet, but it'll be used to pay a fraction of my property taxes in December.

Why not give EVERYONE rebates?

Because playing to class envy is more politically viable than actually stimulating the economy.

Edited by CDeb

I paid more than enough taxes last year. It's more like I'm being given some of MY money back.

If you're getting some of this rebate money, I'll bet you didn't pay as much as I did.

If you're getting some of this rebate money, I'll bet you didn't pay as much as I did.

Probably not. But it's very disingenuous, and incorrect, to suggest that everyone getting this rebate are enjoying other people's money (although I agree that some are).

P.S. - I think you should get one too.

Probably not. But it's very disingenuous, and incorrect, to suggest that everyone getting this rebate are enjoying other people's money (although I agree that some are).

It is not incorrect to say the rebate comes from other peoples' money, but it is incorrect to say that it comes from tax money. That money was spent a long time ago.

It is not incorrect to say the rebate comes from other peoples' money, but it is incorrect to say that it comes from tax money.

How so? I paid many times more in taxes than what the rebate will be.

No, it's mathematically provable. Some of the money you get came from me. None of the money I get came from you (since I don't get any of this rebate).

Well, sorta. As long as we're in deficit, most of this money is coming from our kids. Thank my daughter if you get a chance.

I don't want one. I have plenty of money. Enjoy!

Your taxes have been spent already. This is financed from debt.

If you want to play semantics, then, it's debt that my taxes will be continuously financing for the next several decades.

If you want to play semantics, then, it's debt that my taxes will be continuously financing for the next several decades.

I'm with you... this is nobody's money. It's borrowed money that we'll all have to pay for. So in a sense, Memebag may be paying for your check or my check in the future, but you and me will be paying for our checks and countless others from people who pay little to no taxes.

the whole idea is irresponsible; it sends the wrong message (borrow money and spend it, that's good!!). However, I bet it will work. For example, I plan to stick my whole check into savings to pad that account a little for future months of high gas/grocery bills. But I've got that "money in my pocket" feeling because of the check and can't help thinking about that camera I've been wanting to buy, etc. I'm sure no matter how good people's intentions are, they are going to do some spending.

Not necessarily. Governments can always default on debts or print more money. The fact remains that the $800 was never tax money in the first place.

Isn't it also incorrect to suggest that we who are getting money back, in no way contribute to what we're getting back. I pay taxes too. Just because I don't earn $75,000 a year doesn't mean I don't.

I guess they figure if you make over that you really don't need the stimulus money.

But I do agree that we're going to all be paying for it in the long run. And that it is financially irresponsible.

That said, I can't wait to get my check so I can do what I will with it.

No government cheese for me yet. I keep checking online, but nothing has arrived. Unfortunately, while my bank's web site updates withdrawals in real time, it only updates deposits at midnight.

When is it supposed to get here? What was the AGI limit for married people? I know I could look this up, feel free to ignore me, but I've decided to make HAIF my sole source of info on the internet today.

When is it supposed to get here? What was the AGI limit for married people? I know I could look this up, feel free to ignore me, but I've decided to make HAIF my sole source of info on the internet today.

$1200 if you are married and made less than $75000 last year. You get an extra $300 PER Kiddo under 18 years of age. It goes by SSN. last two of your social, number 01-whatever has gone out electronically with direct deposit already and then so on. Paper checks won't be out until May 9th.