El Real Tex-Mex At 1201 Westheimer Rd.

brunsonpark08

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still mystified as to how one makes a bad margarita. Tequila. Triple Sec. Lime juice. After the first attempt or two, the balance seems obvious.

These have tequila, agave nectar, Cointreau, and lime juice. And not enough tequila, imo.

I went for lunch yesterday and thought it was great. Got the chicken enchiladas and a margarita. The 'rita was strong, but pretty standard in terms of taste - Hugo's has spoiled me for all other margaritas. Service was very good. The high point for me, though, was the salsa - I thought it was perfect. We can argue about how spicy salsa should be (this one was not very spicy at all), but the flavor and consistency was excellent.

Nice atmosphere too - The Magnificent Seven was playing on the wall.

The lunch prices are very affordable, so I see no reason why everyone shouldn't at least give it a try.

These have tequila, agave nectar, Cointreau, and lime juice. And not enough tequila, imo.

Superior ingredients notwithstanding, an inadequate amount of tequila ranks as a mortal sin.

ayup

Other people tell me I'm crazy and there is plenty of tequila.

Well! Either they're lily-livered or we're alcoholics. :D

A second margarita should impart a distinct, pleasurable buzz.

• 2 weeks later...

Do they have pralines and chiclets for sale at the register? That would be el real deal.

If they are claiming to be real tex mex, the pralines would be part of the meal. One of the bar regulars where I frequent has been working there for the past month. Seems the complaints are pouring in and management in trying to react. The yelp complaints that are being filtered are just killing them.

$15 for half pound, and I think $29 for full pound. The half pound was way more than enough for me, and now I'm eating them for lunch leftovers.

lXTF2.jpg

That plancha doesn't even look like it was hot. Was this supposed to be a picture for the plus side?

I think this place is great. I also think the extreme hype this place got is a factor in all of the extreme reviews (everyone thinks it's really good or REALLY MEDIOCRE!!!).

I've been twice, had two different plates, and thought both were delicious. Everyone I went with thought it was good, too. It's hard to believe anyone could really think this place is disgusting.

I think this place is great. I also think the extreme hype this place got is a factor in all of the extreme reviews (everyone thinks it's really good or REALLY MEDIOCRE!!!).

I've been twice, had two different plates, and thought both were delicious. Everyone I went with thought it was good, too. It's hard to believe anyone could really think this place is disgusting.

I have been 3 times (it's around the corner) and it gets better every time. They have tweaked the Margaritas. They have Victoria on tap, which I never even got in Mexico. The first time I went was so-so. The fajitas I got the other night were excellent.

I agree that the hype for this place probably created unrealistic expectations off the bat. It's freaking tex-mex, not a Michelin star restaurant. But it seems like it's getting its groove and as a resident of the neighborhood, I am really enjoying sitting out there on the sidewalk (hard to believe it served as a public urinal 6 months ago), and seeing this building put to good use. There has been such an ebb and flow along that stretch over the years and it will be interesting to see how this place effects the rest of the street. I certainly hope that the new places going in where Chances and Charlie's used to be will encourage someone to do something with the old Blockbuster, etc.

But hey, this is Houston. And when you think of what could have gone into the old Tower Theater -- or more likely have been built in its place -- I'm glad these guys came along and put the restaurant there. Kudos.

What does hot look like? Yes, it was hot. This picture is not "supposed to be" on a side, it's simply a picture.

I think he was expecting to see some steam. Since most restaurants shoot some extra marinade sauce onto the plancha before they bring it out to get it smoking.

• 2 weeks later...

I was there sunday... ugh...

the micheladas where subpar. i guess mambos/connies still have one of the best ones out there. magnolias did too at one point.

i had the cheese enchiladas (#7). moo. standard tex mex fare. nothing outstanding.

This is my take on the place. This was a spur of the moment thing and I neglected to bring my camera, so my Phone had to do.

We arrived 20 minutes before closing and asked if the kitchen was closed. The Manager said that I could order anything I wanted and the kitchen was at my beck and call.

Ok.

The salsa and chips came out quick.

While the salsa wasn't as spicey as we are used to, it had a nice flavor.

I ordered the puffy tacos, beef and chicken. The chicken was okay, but nothing spectacular, but I loved the Beef one, particularly with the salsa spooned on.

My SO enjoyed the Enchiladas, but didn't really offer anything more than that, but they were a decent portion and wound up taking them home for leftovers.

In short, I was pleased with the service and the food. I'd head back to try the other dishes, but honestly, I'm just as curious to try look at the various parts of the establishment.

Here is a picture of the interior, as you can see, they just started up an old John Wayne flick.

th_IMG_20110502_224422.jpg

th_IMG_20110502_225425.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The El Real stand along the first baseline at Minute Maid Park is delicious as far as ballpark food goes. $11 gets you two soft tacos on handmade tortillas with a boatload of chips and access to the salsa bar.

Went Saturday and I have no complaints. Wife had the puffy tacos and daughter and I the fajitas. Both were very good but not spectacular, The queso was incredible though. Best I've had in a long while. The margaritas were good, just get them on the rocks. I could tell by the funky color of the frozen ones they would not be good. My daughter had them before and confirmed they are really bad.

• 3 months later...

Definitely a mixed bag this one. Fare is average TexMex with a markup. Starter was a special - crab/shrimp/guacamole mashup that tasted very odd and would have been helped by the presence of crab. I had the tampiquenos - steak was way overdone and everything had that strange sheen that looked like it had been under a heatlamp for 30 minutes. The refried beans were about the highlight, but that probably shouldn't be the case. Margs were standard issue. Layout is strange, but the Wayne movies add some diversion/levity. Overall, not really much better or worse than the average taqueria, but with inflated price points that they may want to revisit at some point. All that said, in the absence of a film theatre I think a restaurant is the best use of this particular location & a great improvement on what was there before and I congratulate the partners on going forward forward with the venture. 6/10

• 4 weeks later...

The El Real stand along the first baseline at Minute Maid Park is delicious as far as ballpark food goes. $11 gets you two soft tacos on handmade tortillas with a boatload of chips and access to the salsa bar.

$11 for 2 tacos is called ripped off. the only time I went to el real the tortillas were all larded out cause they didn't know how to make them properly. but i guess stuffwhitepeoplelike is still popular.

Food scene apologists need to just stop. Minute Maid Park could open a Momofuku Hand Job stall, but it's still an Aramark employee handling your food, same as with the El Real taco stand.

I'm surprised by the amount of press the place is still getting given the lukewarm reception. Did they get a government subsidy or something? There are far too many great, little known restaurants in this city for Houston Press to continue to devote real estate to El Real.

• 2 months later...

got an email today that I think I'm really going to like . . . . . . . . .

Come help us celebrate! The Houston Press just named El Real the“Best Tex-Mex” restaurant in the city. My Table Magazine readers voted us Houston’s “Best New Restaurant.” Food lovers voted us “Best Newcomer” in the Houston Entrée Awards. And Esquire put us on the “Restaurants Not to Miss” list in their annual Best New Restaurants in America issue.

To share the good news with our neighbors, El Real Tex-Mex Cafe is offering a special deal on Mondays. If you’ve got a 77006, 77019, or 77098 zip code on your driver’s license, your whole table eats for half price on Mondays. (Offer is for a limited time only and doesn’t include alcoholic beverages.)

• The title was changed to Hollywood Video - El Real Tex-Mex
  • The title was changed to El Real Tex-Mex At 1201 Westheimer Rd.

Archived