Wilshire Village Apartments At 1701 W. Alabama St.

That's our buddy! :wub: We've enjoyed many a mandarin martini in that room overlooking the Fiesta. He only had to run the A/C when it got really steamy - the rest of the time, the windows were open. When the magnolia trees in the courtyard were blooming, the scent would fill the rooms. Now you can get an idea of how he was able to house a gang of friends after Ike.

Every bit helps. We did the same thing with our 1929 bungalow on Harold and our block neighbors were inspired to do the same with their own when they saw our renovation. The immediate area north of Wilshire does have some tradition of restoring, although there is some lot filler meditteranean stucco stuff appearing a little further west.

And your inspiration has me stuck in a rental house in Oak Forest while I remodel! Damn you and your inspiration Sidegate, I want to go home!! Hopefully I'll be home in a month and we can do the bar crawl.

I have to say I'm torn on the Wilshire replacement. I don't really have a problem with going vertical -- 200 units are 200 units whether it goes vertical or goes in midrise. If given the choice of having a building like the new 25 story job at Studemont and Memorial, or another 5 story midrise like they have at Dunlavy & Richmond, I think I'll go vertical. I find them more interesting to look at.

Now that the aesthetics are out of the way, I do worry about adding that many units at the intersection. How many units are in Wilshire Village anyway?

144 units, but I doubt even half are occupied. Plus many residents biked, used the bus or called Metrolift and didn't even own cars. As sidegate pointed out, the traffic logistics for 2 & 3 lane roads are going to be interesting. I guess they could take over the ditches on either side of Dunlavy, but with the way it floods at West Alabama/Dunlavy, that's going to make it quite a party.

^edit - oops! you beat me to it, but here's the link:

And here starts the legal mess (via Swamplot):

Houston City Council Member Sue Lovell — and separately, at least one attorney — has reportedly told tenants of the complex that the eviction letter they received is not legally binding, since it was not signed by all owners of the property. Here’s the original report Swamplot received about the eviction notices last week...

http://swamplot.com/wilshire-village-updat...ess/2009-02-10/

Has the Craig Malisow Houston Press blog from this morning already been posted?

In 20 years at Wilshire Village, Scott Baker has seen his share of the good, bad, and ugly. Most folks who've driven by the eight-acre apartment complex on Alabama & Dunlavy have just seen the bad; the crumbling, decaying exterior of what was once a prized, Federal Housing Authority-insured project constructed around 1940.

Baker, who retired from Southwestern Bell, moved into his upper-level, two-bedroom apartment in 1988, when rent was $300. A few years ago, he says, the rent was raised - to $315. The cheap rent has been especially desirable to the senior citizens who live in the complex - tenants who must now find new homes by the end of the month.

Baker's apartment is the embodiement of "don't judge a book by its cover." He's kept the place up - the hardwood floors may be faded, but they're clean; the entire place is bathed in natural sunlight. The old-fashioned stove is an original. He wasn't sure of the square-footage, but it's a very decent size - especially for $315.

In his time there, Baker has seen his share of cars drive into the ditch on Dunlavy shortly after the bars close; he's seen police chases; he's talked to tenants who've been robbed; he's alleged to have seen more crackheads and squatters move into abandoned units as the years have gone by.

This year, he's already mourning over the fact that he won't be able to throw his annual Mardi Gras party. He's strung up lights and beads in the past, with friends congregating in the area of the parking lot right outside his unit - and it's been such a familial environment, no one ever seemed to mind the noise.

Baker's sad to be leaving the place - but he's worried more for his elderly neighbors. He's not even totally sure what to make of the vague "advance notice of lease termination" the few tenants received January 30. It's signed by an unidentified "owner's representative" for Alabama&Dunlavy Ltd. It's not written on letterhead; there's no phone number or e-mail address.

Baker said he hasn't talked to the former owner, Jay Cohen, in several years. But even before then, tenants were responsible for their own maintenance. Baker was able to keep the place up over the years. It's just a shame Cohen and the current owner weren't able to do the same.

The landlord at the place has been known to aggressively shoo photographers off the site. Thanks to Baker, we got in. For more pictures of the Wilshire Village apartments, <a href="http://www.houstonpress.com/slideshow/view/240766">click here.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/20...apt_complex.php

Edit: Oops, hehe, I see it was at the end of the last page.

Edited by kylejack

If the eviction notices are a scam or not legal and the property id not going to be vacated soon, I'd volunteer some weekend time to restoration (kind of like the guerilla sidewalk paving discussed in another thread).

Some unsympathetic folks suggest all people interested in preservation buy up every property (at any price?), but this is all I have to offer.

Of course, I'm sure I (and others) would have the cops called on us for trespassing.

Just wondering, though, if some pie-in-the-sky, deep-pocketed investor came along and wanted to restore and modernize the complex, is there room in the apartments for:

Central air and heat

Dishwashers

Washer and dryer connections?

I would think that the absence of those would be a deal-breaker for some potential tenants, especially if it was marketed as an upscale place.

Just wondering, though, if some pie-in-the-sky, deep-pocketed investor came along and wanted to restore and modernize the complex, is there room in the apartments for:

Central air and heat

Dishwashers

Washer and dryer connections?

I would think that the absence of those would be a deal-breaker for some potential tenants, especially if it was marketed as an upscale place.

I can't speak to central A/C or heat...I have no idea about things like that. One thing that I did note is that the ceilings in the units are very high, about 10 or 11 feet. I suppose if you couldn't put in central A/C above the existing ceilings, you could always install it beneath them and build a new ceiling over the installations. The new dropped ceilings would then be a very average 8 or 9 feet.

There seemed to be plenty of space in the kitchens for dishwashers; the kitchens in the units are surprisingly large. Of course, they'd have to tear out the original kitchen fixtures and fittings -- the cool all-stainless steel cabinets and counters, that is -- but there'd be plenty of room for all the modern appliances one expects in a kitchen nowadays.

In the two bedroom apartments, there is a large hallway connecting the living room, bathroom and two bedrooms. The hallway has two spacious closets, one of which could easily be converted to contain a stackable W/D unit, especially since the two closets back right up to the kitchen -- no need to replumb. I don't know about the one bedroom units, though.

Just my two cents... ^_^

Edited by sheeats

i've been told the floorplans vary quite a bit, not a stardard cookie cutter layout. the unit i went in on sunday had a very small kitchen another i saw previously had a large one.

with the size of the units i'll bet adding washer and dryer connections would be easy.

Floor/cabinet space for dishwashers & washer/dryers? Judging from Scott's apartment, heck yeah. Look at the HairBalls kitchen photo - there's plenty of space to the right of the back door (directly across from the sink/fridge junction) for a little utility closet, if one didn't want the appliances out in the open - he's usually had freestanding racks etc. there. It's where the fold-out ironing board used to be. A small dishwasher could fit in under a countertop - anyone ever been in the apartments on Flora across from the Nash & Waldo houses? Teensy little dishwashers! I'm not a plumber, so I can't answer for those logistics. Same for central air/heat. The duplex on Castle Court I grew up in had it upstairs with the ductwork barely making a dent in the space of the Texas basement (landlady's home), but we had window units & gas space heaters downstairs due to the lack of space between floors. Ductless units might be a possibility.

There are also weirdos like us who prefer window units - we have critters and dust allergies. With window units, I can rinse the filters out every day if I want to. Also, I can't tell you how many times we've hosted friends/relatives whose central air has gone out in the middle of August. Aesthetics be hanged.

True on the hall closet for the W/D - since we have so much stuff in our closets, I rarely think about their alternate possibilities. :blush:

Edited by Native Montrosian

From the street the first thing you notice is the decay and disrepair, the blocky architecture and the unfortunate banana-pudding color. But there are a LOT of mature trees on that property. Check it out:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...1&encType=1

Never really cared for that color either...you have a unique way of describing it...nicer term than some I've heard. I think the Jefferson Davis Hospital (2nd) was that same color, same time period. Those garden apartments could be awesome, once again, if restored right, but that probably won't happen in this city.

Rehabilitation under a new owner would probably require that the apartments be brought up to current building codes. This would necessitate new wiring and plumbing, as well as fire protection and accessibility upgrades.

HVAC units and ducts for the second-story apartments can be placed in the attic space under the pitched roofs. Ducts for the first-story apartments could be run in the crawlspace, but a closet would need to be built in each apartment to house a vertical unit. The complex could also be run off of a chilled/heated water system with a central plant (similar to an institutional building). This would be less invasive, as there would be no air-ducts, just water pipes that are more easily concealed.

you have to have a fan to circulate the air and ducts to get it to each room.

There are no ducts in this system; there is a unit in each room that blows air over the pipes to act as a heat exchange. They're called "fan coil units", and they're similar in size and appearance to the hvac units in motel rooms.

Edited by Dan the Man

Never really cared for that color either...you have a unique way of describing it...nicer term than some I've heard. I think the Jefferson Davis Hospital (2nd) was that same color, same time period. Those garden apartments could be awesome, once again, if restored right, but that probably won't happen in this city.

Jeff Davis was more yellow and not of a smooth surface (to my recollection).

Yep, Scott heard the same thing from neighbors - calls from the landlord saying to stay put. Considering he "broke rank" by allowing a reporter & photographs he's not holding his breath for a phone call, but allegedly no one has to move yet and they'll get a letter in about 10 days. Pretty much his take - "whatever". He's packed - not going to go through this again in the heat of July or August.

Jeff Davis was more yellow and not of a smooth surface (to my recollection).

Interesting, wouldn't it be nice to have a handbook of old Houston bldgs. (thru 1970's) with photos including close-up detail shots of each color brick, and the detail work. Some of them even had painted, detailed colors. I know, I'm dreaming. I always loved the white colored brick.