Wilshire Village Apartments At 1701 W. Alabama St.

DJ V Lawrence

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read about this. Sweet. Another cool project for Montrose. Imagine if we had even MORE of these in Montrose.

Even though its not Houston to do, I wish that they would do the residential mid-rises with commercial on the bottom floor like they do in San Francisco. The downsides to those are the various smells, street traffic and noise on the outside of your places. But they are pleasing to the eyes, and cuts down on sprawl which this city doensn't need more of!

Don't get too excited. The preliminary plans call for a suburban-style strip center to complement the tower. Think Westheimer @ Voss.

:angry:

Is this story for real this time? I have a friend that lives in these apartments, and has heard this story many times before. For those that have never seen these apartments, they are really nice on the inside. The tenants have always been able to do whatever to the inside, as long as they made to improvements to the exterior. The interior of the apartments are very decorative, with aluminum(?) stair railings and other deco touches. Unfortunately, lack of maintenance has taken its toll and they need to be torn down. The owner actually still lives on the property, and his sister owns the property across the street (Fiesta center). They have suposedly (second hand info here) been in an argument for years, and has kept the apartments around just to spite his sister. Maybe BS but it sounds interesting.

This might not be San Francisco but we could use some good midrise structures, especially in Montrose. Houston still doesn't understand mixing uses. It's either an apartment or a commercial center, but never the two together.

This site deserves a dynamic development. This really is THE site for a mixed-use midrise.

Is this story for real this time? I have a friend that lives in these apartments, and has heard this story many times before. For those that have never seen these apartments, they are really nice on the inside. The tenants have always been able to do whatever to the inside, as long as they made to improvements to the exterior. The interior of the apartments are very decorative, with aluminum(?) stair railings and other deco touches. Unfortunately, lack of maintenance has taken its toll and they need to be torn down. The owner actually still lives on the property, and his sister owns the property across the street (Fiesta center). They have suposedly (second hand info here) been in an argument for years, and has kept the apartments around just to spite his sister. Maybe BS but it sounds interesting.

I too have (had) a friend who lives there, and they are - well, were - really wonderful apartments. Spacious, hardwood floors, and these great little Moderne touches. Built in pre-airconditioning days, the casement windows on the corners catch every breeze. Also there's an exhaust fan in the attic which pulls air through the windows and does a remarkably good job of cooling the apartments. What a shame that they've been allowed to deteriorate to the point that restoration is not economically viable.

How disgusting that the beautiful oak trees which grace this property will be cut down. I see no way that a 16 story building can co-exist with them. A more responsible developer would construct several mid-rises on the footprints of the existing buildings; but no. It's going to stick out like a sore thumb in that neighborhood. What a blot on Montrose! I'm pissed...

Guest danax

It's too bad they can't move them to a historically approriate neighborhood, like mine. There really aren't very many art deco multi-family buildings left in town. I know, that's a completely unviable idea.

Built in pre-airconditioning days, the casement windows on the corners catch every breeze. Also there's an exhaust fan in the attic which pulls air through the windows and does a remarkably good job of cooling the apartments. What a shame that they've been allowed to deteriorate to the point that restoration is not economically viable.

It's interesting how older buildings were designed to deal with the heat. I lived in a mid-century apartment for a while. It only had a small window a/c unit, but it had windows on three sides and overhanging eaves for shade. The cross-ventilation was good enough that it really wasn't necessary to use the air conditioner a lot. Not that air conditioning isn't great, but it meant that some local architecture lost its distinctiveness.

I agree that it seems inappropriate to plop a high-rise into the middle of what is a fairly stable low-rise area. Even new townhouses would be more suitable for that neighborhood. This is the kind of incongruous development that always gives Houston such a bad name. That being said, it could be worse. I had heard last year that Kroger was acquiring the site to build a new store (to put Fiesta out of business at that corner).

This inconguous development is the fabric of what is Houston. Why change it? The apartments look like crap and I've have been waiting for them to demo it.

Also, mixed use is worthless for this site because so much commerce exists nearby. In general this area is not one in need for gentrification except for a few black-eyes like this complex. Mixed use development general appear when the area is being completely redeveloped like parts of midtown and/or the developer wants to infuse this kind of the development like in Memorial City and Town and Country.

Also, I think the site is large enough that some of the trees can be saved.

It's not saying that the apartments shouldn't be demolished - the point is that a high-rise isn't necessarily the best outcome to protect the qualities of the neighborhood. Single family units or townhouses might better protect the fabric of the neighborhood and protect real estate values for existing homeowners. This is similar to the case where a high-rise was proposed for Southgate adjacent to the Village, but in that instance the residents complained loudly enough that the development didn't happen. Just because incongruous is "the fabric of what is Houston" doesn't mean it is the optimal solution for every neighborhood, or one that contributes to real estate values, traffic management, neighborhood viability, and our reputation as a city. We shouldn't have to always be stuck in the past because that's how things have always been done around here. I don't see a lot of other cities rushing out to imitate Houston in that way.

That's what I love about this city. Its not like other cities. It's different. It doesn't care about outside opinion.

The same train of thought about a high-rise in a single family could have been used for Midtown. Also, the Huntingdon in River Oaks didn't really do much to harm property values. I think the high-rise will help.

Many projections are showing a trend in densification occuring between downtown and uptown. The Page Parks building is planned to be torn down on Kirby and replaced by a high-rise. Across the street, the River Oaks Health club is under talks to be sold to a developer to build a high rise there.

Many projections are showing a trend in densification occuring between downtown and uptown. The Page Parks building is planned to be torn down on Kirby and replaced by a high-rise. Across the street, the River Oaks Health club is under talks to be sold to a developer to build a high rise there.

Kirby is grid lock as it is. I can only imagine after adding tow high rises.

Yeah,

Kirby has some serious issues. I lived right by Kirby and Westheimer for about 1 1/2 years. The lanes are of the minimum width (10ft) and it is very claustrophobic during rush hour. The other problem is that they have no room to expand at all.

It's all this damn ubanism along Kirby (just kidding). Many of the buildings along Kirby are right up to the edge of the right of way. Shepherd has the same problem from Dallas to Richmond.

The Upper Kirby District was working on a plan to get traffic off Kirby.

But I doubt that will ever happen.

The "short cut" from 59 to Memorial and I-10 via River Oaks is too hard to resist.

All the while, "Buffalo Speedway" dead-ends at Westheimer.

Go figure.

That's what I love about this city.  Its not like other cities.  It's different.  It doesn't care about outside opinion.

The same train of thought about a high-rise in a single family could have been used for Midtown.  Also, the Huntingdon in River Oaks didn't really do much to harm property values.  I think the high-rise will help.

Many projections are showing a trend in densification occuring between downtown and uptown.  The Page Parks building is planned to be torn down on Kirby and replaced by a high-rise.  Across the street, the River Oaks Health club is under talks to be sold to a developer to build a high rise there.

Ignoring outside opinion would seem a peculiar strategy if a city

Guest danax
I wasn’t calling for the blanket elimination of high-rises, but consideration of where they are best placed.  Can’t we set the bar higher than whether a high-rise here is explicitly harmful?  The issue should be what sort of redevelopment would be best for the neighborhood.  Since in this case the area consists for the most part of single-family homes or small-scale apartments, a high-rise dropped in the midst doesn’t quite strike me as the best solution, compared to more houses or perhaps townhomes.

But who decides what is best where? The developer decides where it's best for him, then he either has to ask the Planning Commission for a replat, and then all he has to dodge are some grass-roots defenders and, if he does, he can high-step into the end zone.

We all know this is how Houston areas change. If this project is successful, that whole area could become our midrise district, although I think the neighborhood will likely put up a good opposition.

Residents of that area need to keep on their toes and get ready to fight. We're used to bureaucrats fighting our civic battles for us but when it comes to neighborhood integrity, in Houston we don't have that luxury. If you just buy a house and kick back, eventually someone will do something contrary to the interests of the majority of the residents and unless it's a police matter, the buck stops with the residents.

I would think Midtown would be the perfect midrise zone but maybe the Kirby area is better, since it's right in the middle of so much retail.

Also, mixed use is worthless for this site because so much commerce exists nearby.  In general this area is not one in need for gentrification except for a few black-eyes like this complex.  Mixed use development general appear when the area is being completely redeveloped like parts of midtown and/or the developer wants to infuse this kind of the development like in Memorial City and Town and Country.

Midrise mixed-use is the only way to go. It's ridiculous to think mixed-use projects are only appropriate in redeveloping areas. It's the smart urban way to build. Look at Chicago, SF, Boston, Toronto, etc.

This is an area (Dunlavy @ West Alabama) that's quiet but not too quiet. There are homes and businesses all around. The absolute best development for the site is a mixed-use midrise.

No, the best development for the site doesn't put undue stress on the pre-existing grid. Alabama is only (and will always be) a "three lane street." Dunlevy too, cannot be bulked up to accept the vehicular traffic a 16-story block - with retail - will add. This size structure is simply not appropriate for this location.

Fortunately, there is some chatter in this neighborhood about resisting this project.

I'm still all for this project. Chances the 16 stories is the first pass and will probably change before it is finalized. Who knows, by the time the project gets built, it may dwindle down to a 5 story project. It's not the first time this has happened.

Any high-rise development will put undue stress on current street systems. Just look at Uptown. If all the development we want to happend occurs in the downtown and midtown areas, traffic will be much worse. To assume all these new residents will work and walk in the area because it is urban and mixed use is a little idealistic. Many people moving into these areas in the loop and close to downtown don't work in the areas. a lot of the are driving out the loop for there jobs. Everyday I see many cars taking the ramps to get onto I-10 heading west from Studemont, Shepherd-Durham, TC Jester, and Washington and are lining up to go under I-610 to head west. Many people are moving in because the love the atmosphere of the inner city, yet it primarily applies to there home life and days off. Their daily activities of work is not in the area they live.

Cross commuting is a concept that will develop more and more within Houston as it has in Atlanta and Dallas. Houston still has a primarily head into town in the morning and head out of town in the evening traffic pattern, but that is changing. With more jobs being created out of the loop and more people moving in the loop we are going to see occur more.

I don't see every project being mixed-use the answer. Some here and there, yes; but not everything. Mixed use development will sprout when space becomes a premium unless the developer is trying something new. In midtown, I would rather see many mid-rise and high-rise residential only buildings get built. Then the demand goes up and mixed-use become viable.

i don't see a mid-rise/hi-rise a problem in this location as long as it addresses the lower height buildings in the area. simply sticking a tower in the center of the property with a fence and parking around it would be unacceptable. mixed use, if designed with respect to the existing neighborhood, can create a catalyst for similar development in the area.

i'm still sad to see this property to have deteriorated to the place that nothing is worth restoring. ideally the new development could incorporate some restored buildings and design elements of the existing buildings into the newer structure(s). i had hoped that someone would restore this property for student housing.

Although anything can be restored, this building is B A D. Nine years ago, I was helping my friend move into the 2nd floor of unit. I inspected the lower unit with the idea of maybe renting, and the upper toilet was flushed and water went everywhere. The leak was never fixed. We later learned that as problems came up either the tennant repaired them or moved out. Thats why so many were vacant. There were roof leaks in most vacant units. Why would anyone want to save something anyway, just tear it down and replace it with a megaplex made from sawdust and glue, and see how long it lasts.

Archived