Wilshire Village Apartments At 1701 W. Alabama St.

DJ V Lawrence

there's been a big cone of silence around this project ever since Nancy Sarnoff broke the story in 2005. I certainly hope it's dead, at least in the form it was originally proposed (16-18 storey highrise). The market for mid & highrise residential in that area seems to be heavily oversubscribed.

thanks for the photos! the photographer whose blog they're on is lucky she wasn't run off the property by the owner. by all accounts he's not the full shilling and doesn't take kindly to people documenting the complex for posterity.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

I've got some good pictures of Wilshire Village here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshilcutt/tags/wilshirevillage/

There's an short piece on it here: http://chelseahotelnumbertwo.wordpress.com...lshire-village/

And you can read more on the history of the complex here: http://www.houstondeco.org/1940s/wilshire.html and, of course, at the HAIF link that sevfiv provided. We heart Wilshire Village.

WOW - Thanks Sevfiv and Sheeats :) !!!!!

I'm pretty new to HAIF and love all of the info I've read so far!! I now have a new appreciation for historic Houston and now share all kinds of stories with my friends! Now when my boyfriend and I drive around, I make him do the driving so I can pay attention to my surroundings more.

I would love to explore an apartment here and am going to see if I can...

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know anything about the old apartments located at the intersection of West Alabama (1700 block) and Dunlavy across the street from the Fiesta grocery store (Winlow Place, I believe they are called)? HCAD states they were built 1n 1940 and contain 144 units. They look to have not been remodeled much since they were orginally constructed, hence their attraction along with the nice grassy and shaded courtyards. I've been passing them for years and they have always intrigued me. I much prefer the older, smaller apartment blocs to the sprawling contemporary style complexes without much personality.

Does anyone know anything about the old apartments located at the intersection of West Alabama (1700 block) and Dunlavy across the street from the Fiesta grocery store (Winlow Place, I believe they are called)? HCAD states they were built 1n 1940 and contain 144 units. They look to have not been remodeled much since they were orginally constructed, hence their attraction along with the nice grassy and shaded courtyards. I've been passing them for years and they have always intrigued me. I much prefer the older, smaller apartment blocs to the sprawling contemporary style complexes without much personality.

http://www.ghpa.org/endangered.html

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...c=2223&st=0

My wife, when she was a young girl, lived there in 1956-57. The Fiesta across the street originally was a Weingartens, but when she lived there it was an empty field.

• 6 months later...

Equally surprising to many others who have driven past the run-down apartments recently is news that actual tenants are still living there.

I seriously LOL'd at that

But anyway, all I can say is....it's about time! I love that old complex, but hate looking at it like that. There's zero chance that someone would come along and actually fix it up - as is, it's more of "negative" to the area than anything. I just hope the new plans, whatever they may be, aren't scaled back (at least $$ and quality-wise) due to current market conditions. I can't imagine how that wouldn't be the case...but then again, I can't imagine anything actually happening there in the near-term. Dunlavy is looking to be pretty dense along that stretch if a new mid-rise is in the works

http://swamplot.com/wilshire-village-apart...ted/2009-02-04/

Something going down at Dunlavy and Alabama soon ? Looks like some of the few remaining tenants are getting the old heave-ho this month.

I just saw that...what a bummer.

I have a feeling we'll see this place sit and rot even more - the tenants will be evicted, but will anything actually be done with the property any time soon? Not likely...

they sent certified letters out last week and the current tenants have until the 28th to move which is when the water will be turned off.

Another sad swamplot story, a nasty "previous landlord", just figures. Same old story in this city. I've seen this complex mentioned at least several times, in architecture books. I like the detail, glass panes, front canopy & trim colors, rust and teal. Reminds me of the brown ones that sat by the VA Hospital (built in the same time period). Wonder if they were the second of the three FHA apts. mentioned by Mr. Fox. They have the same types of corner windows. :o:angry:

FYI - 1715 West Alabama Ave.

Wilshire Village Apartments (1940)

Eugene Werlin

"Of the three original FHA-insured garden apartment complexes built in Houston,Wilshire Village is the only one still extant. It offers many intelligent lessons in the planning of multiple unit housing, especially in the configuration of outdoor spaces and the inclusion of such amenities as the projecting window bays". ---AIA Houston Architectural Guide, Stephen Fox (1990)

Do you think these buildings are worthy of being remodeled?

Also, what makes them fireproof?

the units i've been in are relatively untouched, full of art deco elements. i think you would find many people who would rent them, esp for the size of the rooms. I personally would love to have a house done in the same style.

I'd like to know the answer to the fireproof question myself. Perhaps it is the predominance of masonry and steel in the construction.

I'd like to think that if they tried to keep them fairly original and just clean up, paint, and repair what needed fixing that they could really do well if they had reasonable rents. Especially if Richmont Square and Maryland Manor eventually go bye-bye.

They'd have to come up with some kind of security fence, though, in that neighborhood.

I'd like to know the answer to the fireproof question myself. Perhaps it is the predominance of masonry and steel in the construction.

that's what i was thinking too but was caught up in the details of the unit. i'll see if i can get back in before the end of the month and take some pics

the units i've been in are relatively untouched, full of art deco elements. i think you would find many people who would rent them, esp for the size of the rooms. I personally would love to have a house done in the same style.

please do take some pics, I would love to see those "art deco elements"!

I also would really like to see some interior photos, or some photos of this complex when new. I have heard that there were originally some additional buildings on the site that have since been demolished, including a laundry and a community center building.

The buildings are probably reinforced concrete structural frame with terra cotta tile infill. This technique is known as "Fire-proof Construction", and was commonly used for commercial and institutional building construction in the 1940s. However, I'm curious as to how the pitched roofs are constructed. Wood roof rafters are not considered fire-proof.

Archived