Wilshire Village Apartments At 1701 W. Alabama St.

Yes, vacant buildings are quite expensive to insure. Good motive for letting people live there. <_<

And by the way, Emme, welcome to the forum. :D Don't let the first experience run you off - this is really a fun and informative place.

Thanks Native Montrosian.

My point is this...don't judge somebody else's experience based on your own. They don't always match.

completely agree.

sometimes two people can have the same conversation but when asked about it, you get two totally different stories... personally, i dont know lynn but would assume/hope her intentions are for the best and i do not doubt that you are only passing along information you heard from her.

regardless, ill contact matt and see what the deal is. if its appropriate, ill gladly pass along details.

completely agree.

sometimes two people can have the same conversation but when asked about it, you get two totally different stories... personally, i dont know lynn but would assume/hope her intentions are for the best and i do not doubt that you are only passing along information you heard from her.

regardless, ill contact matt and see what the deal is. if its appropriate, ill gladly pass along details.

AWESOME HD, Thank you!

Only tangentially relevant, but interesting, it does appear that the lot with the Fiesta is owned by a Suzanne Cohen Levin, operating through yet another LLP, that has her condo as the address. The Harris County property records show her having a lot of activity over the years. The Cohens originally had an address at 726 Crawford. Wonder what that is now. Quick look at th emap, that's between Rusk and Capital.

Only tangentially relevant, but interesting, it does appear that the lot with the Fiesta is owned by a Suzanne Cohen Levin, operating through yet another LLP, that has her condo as the address. The Harris County property records show her having a lot of activity over the years. The Cohens originally had an address at 726 Crawford. Wonder what that is now. Quick look at th emap, that's between Rusk and Capital.

Rumor has it David Cohen's sister owns Fiesta property and that they hated each other. Post earlier in this thread supposes that is why David Cohen would not allow upkeep of the exterior of his building, to bring her property values down.

Inheritances bring out the worst in siblings.

Rumor has it David Cohen's sister owns Fiesta property and that they hated each other. Post earlier in this thread supposes that is why David Cohen would not allow upkeep of the exterior of his building, to bring her property values down.

Inheritances bring out the worst in siblings.

I did a quick trawl through the Harris County District Clerk records, and Suzanne Levin sued Jay Cohen in the 80's over Wilshire Village Corporation, which owned the apartments. Lots of acrimony there. She also sued HCAD a few times over the appraised value of the Fiesta property. Jay Cohen sued the City of Houston after the city demolished one of his buildings on the Gulf Freeway. Teh Cohen siblings also owned/own the Dowling Theater property, which I don't know much about.

Bottom line is, I don't think it's rumor the Cohen kids had a major falling out. Taht said, letting your property deteriorate out of spite is not exactly good business.

I did a quick trawl through the Harris County District Clerk records, and Suzanne Levin sued Jay Cohen in the 80's over Wilshire Village Corporation, which owned the apartments. Lots of acrimony there. She also sued HCAD a few times over the appraised value of the Fiesta property. Jay Cohen sued the City of Houston after the city demolished one of his buildings on the Gulf Freeway. Teh Cohen siblings also owned/own the Dowling Theater property, which I don't know much about.

Bottom line is, I don't think it's rumor the Cohen kids had a major falling out. Taht said, letting your property deteriorate out of spite is not exactly good business.

When it comes to family, business isn't what business is about. It just gets ugly.

Thanks for the link, Sevfiv. I remember that building well, having watched it slowly fall apart over the years (it first caught my eye because of the TVR sign in th edays when I wanted a TVR). Sort of like Wilshire Village, but worse. Might be interesting to see how all of Mr. Cohen's other properties are maintained.

So Mr. Cohen is the villian who let the Chequer Imports building crumble to the ground. Was he related to the Cohen for whom the house above was named? If so, how ironic and unfortunate.

Not as far as I know, but anything is possible..

The Carrousel was a little south down 45 at Reveille - same type of roofline, but not as exaggerated (plus the (Bob) Cohen house in Meyerland - all three gone).

There's a beachhouse in Galveston with a similar shape. It lost its staircase years ago and it has never been replaced. It has to be a Cohen property. This whole family is seeming quite "touched." Is this the only shape he ever built? Definitely a signature.

Jay Cohen must be Bob Cohen's son. Too much coincidence.

Edited by EMME

^From what I've read, Bob Cohen and his wife loved that house and were upset about its demolition. Apparently they moved (to The Bristol - a highrise of all things) because of mobility/accessibility issues with the house.

Jay Cohen's father was named Howard J. Cohen, and he was the developer of Wilshire Village.

Like sevfiv, I doubt very much that there was any relation between Bob Cohen, the marine architect, and Howard Cohen, the real estate developer. Just a coincidental name.

Also, the circular butterfly roof pavilion was a modernistic feature of the time, I think just coincidence that it happened to be on so many buildings in Houston. The Chequer Imports building _might_ have been influenced by the Carousel Motel, but that is just speculation on my part.

The GHPA sent out a notice earlier today (no new news, though):

Developer Matthew Dilick has started the process to raze Wilshire Village, the Art Deco garden apartment complex at West Alabama and Dunlavy. The City of Houston has issued the necessary permits for the sewers to be disconnected. After City inspectors confirm the work has been completed, demolition can begin. Over the weekend, the copper gutters were pulled from several of the 17 historic buildings on the site. The last tenant at Wilshire Village moved on April 5.

GHPA staff and representatives from the surrounding neighborhoods will continue to meet with City Council Member Wanda Adams and At-Large Council Member Sue Lovell to address nearby residents

Dilick's playing mind games....the Komatsu was gone again yesterday morning...

Hopefully, that is not the case. Maybe he is negotiating with someone and the cost of the rental was too high to have it sitting there. I will hope for the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Some movement this morning on my way to work. There were piles of excavated dirt at the base of the wall of one of the outer buildings facing Dunlavy, near the corner of Dunlavy and Alabama. I have no idea what this signifies. Would there be anything buried worth salvaging?

I just became a theater. Woohoo!

Edited by sidegate

Looks like prep work before demo. In addition to all the ground excavation, a lot of the windows seem to have been removed over the weekend. I have noticed quite a few workers going in and out of the buildings but no heavy equipment yet.

Looks like prep work before demo. In addition to all the ground excavation, a lot of the windows seem to have been removed over the weekend. I have noticed quite a few workers going in and out of the buildings but no heavy equipment yet.

If the windows were "removed" couldn't that mean salvage? Do they remove windows separately prior to demo if it is not necessary?

If the windows were "removed" couldn't that mean salvage? Do they remove windows separately prior to demo if it is not necessary?

or they removed them to throw stuff out of them. many window still there, but most doors look like they have been removed, probably just to make it easier to take things in/out.