Wilshire Village Apartments At 1701 W. Alabama St.

This makes me so sad. I've thought Wilshire Place was so interesting since I first visited Houston. Now that I live here, it's a demo. The entire story is just sad and the units that were pictured were so full of character.

I'm sure the new places won't have half of the charm or details.

This makes me so sad. I've thought Wilshire Place was so interesting since I first visited Houston. Now that I live here, it's a demo. The entire story is just sad and the units that were pictured were so full of character.

I'm sure the new places won't have half of the charm or details.

I don't think we know yet whether there will be "new places" or "a new place." Perhaps just a vast vacant lot until the economy picks up. Could the apartments have been maintained or even upgraded & remained money-makers? After so many years of not giving a frak, the owners are taking the cheap way out.

Let's hope they leave the trees, at least. For a while....

• 2 weeks later...

I live in the neighborhood. We've been told that the demolition will begin near the end of the month, continuing through mid-June. The trees (or at least most of them) will be left, and then the land will be put up for sale. We'll see what happens.

Whoah - active incidents report as of right now:

W ALABAMA ST DUNLAVY

492V 05/22/2009 12:32

211 fire 2

A516, D006, D008, E008, E016, E508, L016, L007, SQ007, SF015, E007

Is the arson squad onsite?

I smelled it burning this morning and went to go see.

It's not the Wilshire apts. It's the apartments on the NE corner of Alabama and Dunlavy.

It's a circus there - dozen fire trucks, dozen support vehicles, 2 helicopters, and every civilian there with a camera. ( Im sure a Haifer, or Houstonist or Hairballs will have photos up shortly)

Looks like the small complex will survive, didn't appear the fire spread too far. Some kid told me it started with a kid trying to sneak a cig while his mom was gone, hid it when she came home, and forgot about it.

Edited by Highway6

• 5 weeks later...

Not really news; just hearsay and a funny incident. My husband and I were stopped at the light to turn on Dunlavy from W. Alabama the other night and a movement caught the corner of my eye - a HUGE RAT scampering merrily up the sidewalk to disappear under the chain link fence. In all the years we visited our friend there, we never saw the likes of that! I hear that since the residents have moved out, the squatters have moved in. I'm sure the neighborhood is thrilled.

rats, squatters, and taggers. There's a lot of new graffiti all over the buildings. The chain link fence is a nice touch too...

The chain link fence is useless except to add the "eyesore" value of the property in its present state. I passed by yesterday at about 6:30pm and noticed many more broken window panes than previously. I would love to see WV restored but, if that isn't going to happen and it looks like it will not, will the owner please have the decency to put it out of its (and our) misery.

My daughter gave me the book Houston Deco: Modernistic Architecture of the Texas Coast for father's day and the Wilshire Village Apartments are mentioned in it. The book says the property is nine acres. One could put a lot of condominums (even the three storey ones) on nine acres. I doubt that will happen this year or next but, when it does, I hope they are not ugly.

A good architect (ahem) could design something that makes sense economically and acknowledges and respects that which was there before. Let's hope.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

drove by yesterday afternoon and there is rubble and dirt, that's it!

Now there are several large signs "For Sale" 7.68 acres, largest urban lot available in the city.

One of the checkers at Fiesta, said the sale price was Twenty Million.

Edited by Seeker