What Are You Listening To?

Montrose1100

Still, that is much better than this. Can't believe i even posted this. It can't get any worse than this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi7ZReTMLTw

Mall singers!!! :lol:

They don't do that anymore, do they?

I've been listening to a bunch of reggae, one day, Credence the next. Busting out with the 80s stuff more often, too.

Of course, Saturday after the power came on, I had to play this one at full blast....

The neighbors laughed.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dig 80s music and dance tracks from places like Numbers, NRG, Power Tools, Red Square, etc...

I also found out that this cool song from 1985 was filmed in the house I now own in Boston. I dig Aimee Mann.

1:44 to 2:10 my stoops and infront of my townhouse

2:11 to 2:48 on the second floor landing and in living room

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz4pTMN3abw

• 3 weeks later...
The 1970s was the best decade for music in the 20th century.

Agree or disagree?

Agree if we're talking about the UK and USA. Any decade that had "Here Come the Warm Jets", "Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy" and "Another Green World" released during it wins hands down.

The 1970s was the best decade for music in the 20th century.

Agree or disagree?

Its hard to say one is better than the other. each decade had its best.

I sometimes like to hear Gregorian Chant, very soothing but gets depressing after a while like being at a day long funeral but pretty to hear non-the-less. :blush:

As a whole I find a lot of diversity in '70s music, but then I guess you could say that about any decade's music really, when you think about it. To me it's more melodic. I love everything from the early '70s bubblegum pop to the late '70s rock. The R&B of the '70s is much better than the R&B of today (I love the use of brass in '70s R&B) as well as country.

Today's country just sucks flat out (in my opinion). Something I've noticed about some of the more easy listening '70s music is that much of it appears to have country influence. You hear a lot of steel guitar in it as well other twang, but it's good. Has anyone else noticed and why do you think that is?

Please recommend some other '70s artists based on my '70s iPod selections:

ABBA

Albert Hammond

Alice Cooper

Anne Murray

Bee Gees

The Bellamy Brothers

Beverly Bremers

Bonnie Tyler

Boston

The Carpenters

Cat Stevens

David Cassidy

The DeFranco Family

The Doobie Brothers

Earth, Wind & Fire

Edison Lighthouse

ELO

Elton John

Freda Payne

George McCrea

The Grass Roots

Hall & Oats

Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds

Hues Corporation

Jackson Browne

Jonathan Richman

Leif Garrett

Leo Sayer

Maxine Nightingale

Nicolette Larson

The O'Jays

Olivia Newton John

Orleans

Paul Davis

Pilot

Player

Reunion

Rick Nelson

Sonny & Cher

The Spinners

The Stylistics

Taveres

The Three Degrees

Todd Rundgren

White Plains

I sometimes like to hear Gregorian Chant, very soothing but gets depressing after a while like being at a day long funeral but pretty to hear non-the-less. :blush:

Remember that CD of chanting monks that was popular about 10 years ago? Yeah, I didn't like that. Maybe I didn't give it a fair chance. It seems so cold and like you said, depressing.

Here is the best year ever for the hottest of the 70's pop music. 1976 the Bicentennial year!

I wish you or someone could capture this whole list of hits and hand to me to worship! It is a most pivotal moment in my life as a teen so it has special meaning. :D

http://www.popculturemadness.com/Music/Pop-Modern/1976.html

I listen to all periods from the 20's on up. 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s.

Paul Whiteman Orchestra with Ramona Davies, Ruth Etting and any and all torch singers from the 40s, 50s and early 60s. Cajun, Zydeco, Amedee Breaux.

Let's not forget It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels by Kitty Wells or I Fall To Pieces by Patsy Cline.

After the mid 80s or so most music started tanking (at least for me) Sure there was/is some good stuff after the mid 80s but fewer and farther between. One of my most beloved collections is my New Wave songs from about 1976 to 1987 or so. Heavy on the 1979 to 1984. Gary Myrick, Echo & the Bunnymen, Kajagoogoo, English Beat, Midnight Oil, The Psychedelic Furs (The Ghost In You--OMG this song just kills me!!), Heaven 17, Berlin, Eurythmics, ReFlex, The Fixx, Soft Cell, B-52s, Debbie Harry and 1000s of others

Here ya go, this is just the very tip of the iceberg but enough to get you started. 103 songs, 7 hours and a free ride in the time machine back to the late 60's to mid 70s.

So many songs, so many Houston memories, lemme see...

Black & White - Three Dog Night: Eating 5 tacos for a dollar at the Taco Bell with the flaming fire pit.

Boots Are Made For Walking - Nancy Sinatra: Buying a 1 pound bag of brachs candy corn for 60 cents at Walgreens on Post Oak and Willowbend then admiring their trio of minibikes for sale at $79.95. Passing Corky's on the way out.

Horse With No Name - Tubing the river at New Braunfels in spring 72

========================

Sugar Sugar The Archies Sugar Sugar The 60s Revisted

Fifth Dimension - Age of Aquarius

Sky Pilot The Animals The Best Of

Bob Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone Billboard Top 100 Hits Of 1965

The Ballad Of The Green Berets Sgt Barry Sadler Billboard Top 100 of 1966

These Boots Are Made For Walking Nancy Sinatra Billboard Top 100 Hits Of 1966

Simon & Garfunkel - Mrs. Robinson

84 1967-084-Royal_Guardsmen-Snoopy_Vs_The_Red_Baron Billboard Top 100 of 1967

04 1967-004-Association-Windy Billboard Top 100 of 1967

06 1966-006-The_Monkees-Last_Train_To_Clarksville Billboard Top 100 of 1966

05 1967-005-Monkees-I'm_A_Believer Billboard Top 100 of 1967

Monkees - Hey Hey We're The Monkeys

47 1967-047-5th_Dimension-Up,_Up_&_Away Billboard Top 100 of 1967

Fifth Dimension - Age of Aquarius

70 1967-070-Grass_Roots-Let's_Live_For_Today Billboard Top 100 of 1967

VENUS Shocking Blue Billboard Top 100 of 1970

The Partridge Family - I Think I Love You

Knock Three Times Tony Orlando and Dawn

Osmonds - One Bad Apple

If You Could Read My Mind Gordon Lightfoot Billboard Top 100 of 1971

Mr Bojangles Nitty Gritty Dirt Band Billboard Top 100 of 1971

Sweet City Woman Stampeders Billboard Top 100 of 1971

The Wedding Song (There Is Love) Paul Stookey Billboard Top 100 of 1971

Riders On The Storm Doors Billboard Top 100 of 1971

Me And Bobby McGee Janis Joplin Billboard Top 100 of 1971

What's Going On Westb Marvin Gaye Billboard Top 100 of 1971

Mercedes Benz Janis Joplin (w/Full Tilt Boogie) Pearl

Black and White Three Dog Night Billboard Top 100 of 1972

Can't Live if Living Is Without You Harry Nilsson Billboard Top 100 of 1972

I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing Hillside Singers Billboard Top 100 of 1972

I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing New Seekers Billboard Top 100 of 1972

Vincent Don McLean Billboard Top 100 of 1972

American Pie Don McLean Billboard Top 100 of 1972

Killing Me Softly (original) Roberta Flack

Horse with No Name America Billboard Top 100 of 1972

Brandy Looking Glass Billboard Top 100 of 1972

The Locomotion Grand Funk Railroad Billboard Top 100 of 1974

Bad Time Grand Funk Billboard Top 100 of 1975

Family Affair Sly & the Family Stone Billboard Top 100 of 1972

The City of New Orleans Arlo Guthrie Billboard Top 100 of 1972

The Way of Love Cher Billboard Top 100 of 1972

I'll Take You There Staple Singers Billboard Top 100 of 1972

Al Green - Tired of Being Alone Al Green 1971

(Last Night) I Didn't Get to Sleep at All 5th Dimension Billboard Top 100 of 1972

Everybody Plays The Fool The Main Ingredient Billboard Top 100 of 1972

Nice to Be with You Gallery Billboard Top 100 of 1972

Black and White Three Dog Night AM Gold - 1972

Too Late to Turn Back Now Cornelius Brothers & Sister Rose Billboard Top 100 of 1972

Superstition Stevie Wonder Billboard Top 100 of 1973

Crocodile Rock Elton John Billboard Top 100 of 1973

Knockin On Heavens Door Bob Dylan Essential Bob Dylan Disc 2

Hurricane Bob Dylan

Diamnds & Rust Joan Baez Greatest Hits

Joan Baez - Diamonds and Rust

Brother Louie Stories Billboard Top 100 of 1973

Right Place, Wrong Time Dr John Billboard Top 100 of 1973

Angie Rolling Stones Billboard Top 100 of 1973

Stuck In The Middle With You Stealers Wheel Billboard Top 100 of 1973

Dancing In The Moonlight King Harvest Billboard Top 100 of 1973

The Cover Of The Rolling Stone Dr Hook Billboard Top 100 of 1973

Higher Ground Stevie Wonder Billboard Top 100 of 1973

Do It Again Steely Dan Billboard Top 100 of 1973

Kodachrome Paul Simon Billboard Top 100 of 1973

The Joker Steve Miller Greatest Hits 1974-78

Rick Wakeman - Journey To The Center Of The Earth Jan-74

Hooked On A Feeling Blue Swede Billboard Top 100 of 1974

Takin' Care Of Business Bachman Turner Overdrive Billboard Top 100 of 1974

You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet Bachman Turner Overdrive Billboard Top 100 of 1975

Tell Me Something Good Rufus feat. Chaka Khan Billboard Top 100 of 1974

Come And Get Your Love Redbone Billboard Top 100 of 1974

The Locomotion Grand Funk Railroad Billboard Top 100 of 1974

Neil Young - Walk On Neil Young Jul-74

Tubular Bells Mike Oldfield Billboard Top 100 of 1974

Helen Wheels Paul McCartney & Wings Billboard Top 100 of 1974

Wildwood Weed Jim Stafford Billboard Top 100 of 1974

Bennie And The Jets Elton John Billboard Top 100 of 1974

I Shot The Sheriff Eric Clapton Billboard Top 100 of 1974

Tell Me Something Good Rufus feat. Chaka Khan Billboard Top 100 of 1974

Movin' On Bad Company 10 From 6

Feel Like Making Love Bad Company Billboard Top 100 of 1975

Can't Get Enough of Your Love Bad Company

Shooting Star Bad Company

Bad Company - Ready for Love

Bad Company - Rock Steady

Band On The Run Paul McCartney & Wings Billboard Top 100 of 1974

Rock The Boat The Hues Corporation

Best Of My Love Eagles Billboard Top 100 of 1975

Rock And Roll Hoochie Koo Rick Derringer Dazed and Confused 1975

Fooled Around And Fell In Love Elvin Bishop Billboard Top 100 of 1976

Lonely Night (Angel Face) Captain & Tennille Billboard Top 100 of 1976

Afternoon Delight Starland Vocal Band Billboard Top 100 of 1976

03 Take the Money and Run Steve Miller Band Greatest Hits 1974-1978

Show Me The Way Peter Frampton 1976

Bridge of Sighs Robin Trower Bridge of Sighs

Too Rolling Stoned Robin Trower Essential

Jack and Jill Robin Trower Victims of the Fury

Robin Trower - In Concert Day Of The Eagle

Im Bad, Im Nationwide ZZ Top 1977

Son Of A Poor Man REO Speedwagon Live: You Get What You Play For

REO speedwagon - Summer Love (Live)

Come Sail Away Styx Billboard Top 100 of 1978

Dancing Queen ABBA Billboard Top 100 of 1977

Dreamboat Annie Heart These Dreams - Heart's Greatest Hits

More Than A Feeling Boston Billboard Top 100 of 1977

Hotel California The Eagles Billboard Top 100 of 1977

Thanks to the both of you.

Many of the songs from both lists I'm very familiar with. I already own quite a few of them, either on mp3 or CD.

SchwinnChopper68, you listed a lot of '60s music as well. That's probably my second favorite decade for music. Either the '60s or '80s.

SchwinnChopper68:

I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing New Seekers Billboard Top 100 of 1972

Was that on a Coke commercial? I like their '60s hit "Georgie Girl" better. That's when they they just went by "The Seekers".

So, no love for Leif Garrett?

I listen to all periods from the 20's on up. 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s.

SchwinnChopper you must open up your own dance club, I will be the 1st in line! :D

I also have original records that date to 1908 for my 2 victrolas, one is dated 1912 the other 1921. Got to crank to play but they work! I have numerous records that weigh a ton but are chrisp and unscratched ranging from Al Jolson to Rudy Vallee, some of the biggest and most famous stars of those eras! Sometimes I break out in a Charleston!

and here is an all time mid 60's fav that I clearly remember playing on TV. I just was too young to even realize who N Sinatra was or how cool and hip she was at the time! Groovy and out of sight!

Come on down to Royal Crown Cola! The one with the mad, mad taste!

The 70's only appear greatly relative in terms of musical integrity as to how it influences current musicians/dj's today. Disco is the clear stand out as it seems to be the only real live element intact as a musical motif within the context of innovations today. However, my sampler and I are currently enthralled by late 70's progressive country.

I listen to all music as well with emphasis on the profundity of seemingly simplistic compositions.

To paraphrase "The world did not need Mozart's music till the world heard his music"

and a shameless promo:

Come hear deep house at zimms lounge every weekend :)

The 70's only appear greatly relative in terms of musical integrity as to how it influences current musicians/dj's today. Disco is the clear stand out as it seems to be the only real live element intact as a musical motif within the context of innovations today. However, my sampler and I are currently enthralled by late 70's progressive country.

I listen to all music as well with emphasis on the profundity of seemingly simplistic compositions.

To paraphrase "The world did not need Mozart's music till the world heard his music"

and a shameless promo:

Come hear deep house at zimms lounge every weekend :)

It would be great if someone noted some of the progressive marks in music sound effects that came out of the 70's.

Example: The Moog Synthesizer

There was also Frampton's very unique guitar sounds (sounded as if he made the guitar talk).

Even The Carpenters had a very unique chorus sound in most of their hits. It was very well refined maybe due to Herb Alpert's diligence in perfection.

This could be a very long list of naming 70's top contributors to the industry indeed. :)

It would be great if someone noted some of the progressive marks in music sound effects that came out of the 70's.

As you mentioned, Frampton's Talk Box was a sure winner. I'll never forget where I was the first time I heard "Show Me The Way". In essence his guitar was talking. Here's some closeups of the Talk Box in action.

Emerson, Lake and Palmer - can't get enough of their unique sound - check out Lucky Man

Mott the Hoople - All The Young Dudes

Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow

The Who - Squeeze Box

The Who - Tommy

ELO - The strings providing the background wave melody on Can't Get It Out Of My Head - to die for.... never has been or ever will be anything approaching their Moog, cello, violin magical sound.

So many great new sounds came out of the 70's it's hard to know where to start.

As you mentioned, Frampton's Talk Box was a sure winner. I'll never forget where I was the first time I heard "Show Me The Way". In essence his guitar was talking.

So many great new sounds came out of the 70's it's hard to know where to start.

Thats why I noted to Kimberly of my "personal best" yr as 1976. I know I was visiting big sis in LA and 1st heard Show me the Way while at Venice Beach. Etched in my mind forever. :) Still have the 45 record.

If you pay close attention to the guitar sound in the 72 film Poseidon Adventure, the rock band is bursting with that very distinct early 70's (sounds like a bar of metal bending in and out) while the young couple dance to them. That specific sound may have been done with what someone said is a Double Whammee"??? on the electric guitar. It was the Glam Rock era of course.

Edgar Winter does it with such power in the classic Frankenstein!

I do actually have some Leif on my iPod, too. :blush:

Word. So do I!

I have a cousin who was a teenager in the '70s and used to work at the Astrodome . She got to meet Leif in his dressing room when he played the rodeo one year. She said that he wasn't very friendly. She got to meet a lot of people back then. My aunt used to make friends with the security guards as well and they'd often get into the stars' dressing rooms. They'd also find out where they were staying. A whole other era. They said The Osmonds were all friendly except for Marie. Eddie Rabbit was the nicest guy ever, my aunt said. They got into the hotel room of Mickey Dolanz and Davey Jones of "The Monkees" and hung out with them by the pool. She has some great stories.

IVertigo58:

t would be great if someone noted some of the progressive marks in music sound effects that came out of the 70's.

Example: The Moog Synthesizer

There was also Frampton's very unique guitar sounds (sounded as if he made the guitar talk).

Even The Carpenters had a very unique chorus sound in most of their hits. It was very well refined maybe due to Herb Alpert's diligence in perfection.

This could be a very long list of naming 70's top contributors to the industry indeed.

infinite_jim:

Sometimes before I go to bed I'll listen to the '70s Music Choice channel while doing a crossword puzzle or whatever. Without looking, I like try to try and figure out which year certain songs were released by their style. I'm not bad. For instance if there's synthesizers and saxophones involved, it's typically 1978 at the earliest. Am I correct?

Sometimes before I go to bed I'll listen to the '70s Music Choice channel while doing a crossword puzzle or whatever. Without looking, I like try to try and figure out which year certain songs were released by their style. I'm not bad. For instance if there's synthesizers and saxophones involved, it's typically 1978 at the earliest. Am I correct?

Nah. Check out Roxy Music's first album. Released in 1972, full of sax and synths.

Without looking, I like try to try and figure out which year certain songs were released by their style. I'm not bad. For instance if there's synthesizers and saxophones involved, it's typically 1978 at the earliest. Am I correct?

Coincidence! You mentioned that about the sax sound. I remember very vividly one night on very first episodes of Entertainment Tonight, they did a segment on how long the sax would be popular with the advent of New Wave and that new monster.....MTV! :o

The recording industry thought that the classic sound of a sax would seem passe' or outdated to the then trendy new techno sounds invading the airwaves.

Here we are 25 years later and the sax is even more popular than ever! See if you hang around long enough you eventually come back into style. :blush: So dont get rid of those Parachute pants just yet!

Nah. Check out Roxy Music's first album. Released in 1972, full of sax and synths.

Well I said typically. ;)

Coincidence! You mentioned that about the sax sound. I remember very vividly one night on very first episodes of Entertainment Tonight, they did a segment on how long the sax would be popular with the advent of New Wave and that new monster.....MTV! :o

The recording industry thought that the classic sound of a sax would seem passe' or outdated to the then trendy new techno sounds invading the airwaves.

Here we are 25 years later and the sax is even more popular than ever! See if you hang around long enough you eventually come back into style. :blush: So dont get rid of those Parachute pants just yet!

I'm really not a huge fan of saxaphone solos. I love The Carpenters' "A Song For You", but usually fast forward through the sax solo. Sometimes it's more tolerable than others. The '80s used sax too much. I guess sax sells.

Word. So do I!

I have a cousin who was a teenager in the '70s and used to work at the Astrodome . She got to meet Leif in his dressing room when he played the rodeo one year. She said that he wasn't very friendly. She got to meet a lot of people back then. My aunt used to make friends with the security guards as well and they'd often get into the stars' dressing rooms. They'd also find out where they were staying. A whole other era. They said The Osmonds were all friendly except for Marie. Eddie Rabbit was the nicest guy ever, my aunt said. They got into the hotel room of Mickey Dolanz and Davey Jones of "The Monkees" and hung out with them by the pool. She has some great stories.

My older brother took me to a Leif concert at some point. I swear it was in the Astroarena? I didn't get to meet him, though. My 7-8 year old self would have probably died. We used to meet tons of bands & get into shows free all the time in the late 80's/early 90's, but these were mostly small shows. Places like Numbers, Unicorn Ballroom, Cullen Auditorium & the like. We managed to meet a few bands playing at large arenas, but I don't ever remember getting into any of those shows for free. Only band I remember ever hanging out with at their hotel was Ministry, but bleh. I had/have an attitude about them - it was my friend who was into them. We were invited & he wanted to go, so we just went. Nothing very exciting to report. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

I like music from back n the day a lot more than the music today. A lot of artist can make a hit. It does not seem that hard to do hearing some of the stuff out there that have been hits. But not many can make music that can be remembered and that will become classics.

This is one of my fav clips on youtube. Dina Ross looks almost the same like she did then today.

Leif Garret was popular at the same time Andy Gibb was singing on every tv show out there.

Of the two of them, which one is dead and which was was on celebrity rehab? Can never keep those things straight.

If I had room in my head to remember just one thing about music and the 70s, it would be Cheap Trick Live at Budokan, the soundtrack for The Best Summer Ever. It came out right around summer break between 7th and 8th grade: hellloooooo pool parties, making out, zipping up the Jordache jeans with a clotheshanger, Astroworld every weekend, lots of weed, more pool parties. Boy was that summer great.

• 4 weeks later...
Rush, bleh. Beware the slippery slope that goes from Rush to Kansas to TransSiberian Orchestra.
Slipperty slope my ass. Just beware of Rush.
elf boots.
-1 point for liking rush
sabbath>rush
sabbath>>>>>>rush.

^Explanation of dogpile: I used the suicidal end lyrics of Rush's 2112 as sarcastic lament that the opening of an ironic bowling alley was delayed.

Only thing is that I have never tapped into the deep-seated rage that so many HAIFers seem to feel for Rush. Maybe its only because I can only listen to the music in hindsight and that I'm too young to have actually been there and seen something disgraceful. I don't know. I'm perplexed.

For the record, I like their sci-fi epic songs, like 2112 and the Hemispheres two-parter. Plus, I like the objectivist philosophical sentiment in many of their songs. The stuff that drew from Tolkien...not so great.

Archived