What Are You Listening To?

Montrose1100

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not if you don't have free will, which you don't. And if you had free will to start with, you couldn't very well choose it.

The line of thought that you are pursuing is not aligned with the argument made in the lyrics to the song. The song is a rejection of communism.

The song is a rejection of fatalism, and it's inane.

The rejection of communism is a recurring theme in Rush lyrics.

See chorus:

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill

I will choose a path that's clear

I will choose freewill

The ready guide is a dictator that structures the life and economy of all individuals acting within a society. The dictator can take many forms, but it is an entity that makes all your decisions for you, whether they are in your interests or not. In other anti-communism songs, like 2112, the dictator takes the form of priests, but those priests "hold high the red star". It is very clear what is intended.

Then they point out that the decision to empower the dictator is itself a choice on your part to abdicate your choices, but that the choice itself proves that a choice can be made, and that if you believe that you've made a capable choice, then you probably don't need someone else to make your choices for you.

"Phantom fears and kindness that can kill" is the line that concretes my opinion that this song is anti-communist. Phantom fears are frequently cited as reason to regulate and control individuals and the economy. In the name of kindness to poor disenfranchised peasants, communists only worsened their plight. This is, to me, a lyric that is clearly directed at communism. It may also go against religion, but it is definitely anti-communist.

Lastly, the name of the song is spelled out Freewill, as one word. That usage has meaning. They did not desire to discuss free will in a broader philosophical sense.

• The title was changed to What Are You Listening To?

Archived