Improvements On Main Street

WestGrayGuy

Thanks,

The main street masterplan is just like the Buffalo Bayou masterplain.

The idea is that the plans are a guide of what we would like to see.

The city, private entities, and other organizations work to slowly add peices.

Not all of them peices may be completed. The masterplans are visions and concepts.

Thanks,

The main street masterplan is just like the Buffalo Bayou masterplain.

The idea is that the plans are a guide of what we would like to see.

The city, private entities, and other organizations work to slowly add peices.

Not all of them peices may be completed. The masterplans are visions and concepts.

No idea what you're talkin' 'bout!

KJB:You're welcome

I don't know anything about the "Buffalo Bayou masterplan"?

My father was in the building trades and built his first house

on Cresline St. in Houston 'bout 1937 and later a house out on

Chocolate Bayou Road near Pearland.

My Dad was a native of Arkansas,Mom of La.,they arrived in

Houston in 1936.

Ron Hoover

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Actually, before I go to bed, here's a sample of what I'm talking about. I know it's very likely that I put it in the wrong place. I'm sorry. I don't know Houston quite that well. Yet. This is more of a general concept anyway.

houston.jpg

You know, I usually don't comment on pipe dreams, but this looks really good. Gives the city a monumental look, like San Francisco or something.

Only problem is your trylon seems to be obliterating Walker St. Might move it to the right a little bit.

Here's my idea in regards to a signature monument:

No one has ever come up with a clear idea for a site of any proposed Houston landmark or monument structure.

Well I have one......

In the Buffalo Bayou redevelopment plan for downtown. it calls for two canals being built: one near the intersection of the White Oak and Buffalo in north downtown by the U of H campus, and a second in east downtown. Both would create islands. Now I highly doubt the second canal will ever get built due to its length and location.

But the first canal essentially bridges a gap in the bayou, making it a practical solution for downtown's flooding concerns. It would also create an island, dubbed the "North Canal Neighborhood" on BBP's website, close to downtown on the north side which would be a perfect spot for a signature city monument. Furthermore, it's presence would help to revitalize the Buffalo Bayou area downtown.

Move the Baker Street Jail and anything else on this site. Devote the entire Island to the city's signature monument. You can leave it as park land or you can build a retail area around the monument.....a la Seattle Center's effect for the Space Needle.

The North Canal Neighborhood Island....this is where Houston's signature monument should be constructed.

floodmanage_topimage.jpg

tigereye, nice idea, but I have to say, if you don't think the other canal will get built, you'll NEVER get the County to tear down not one but BOTH of their jails. Baker Street is not much more than a year old. It's not going anywhere.

Like I said, I like the idea, but... :(

I'm not sure if it will get built but it won't be because of San Jacinto Jail or Baker street jail. That canal will go behind SAn Jacinto and Baker street right were the Metro BUS Barn is. Which is scheduled to relocate sometime in the future according to the BBMP.

Edited by T 2 THA C

I like the idea of the proposed island in theory, since it is right at the site of Houston's founding. The problem, as Red points out, is the concentration of jails in the area that would scare off any tourists.

A couple of years ago I did a tour of the area in which they were talking about the canal proposal. The canal and island had actually been first suggested years ago for flood relief. Given the neighborhood jails, I suggested to the guide that if the island were ever built, it would make sense to name it "Alcatraz Island". She was less than amused. ^_^

A couple of years ago I did a tour of the area in which they were talking about the canal proposal. The canal and island had actually been first suggested years ago for flood relief. Given the neighborhood jails, I suggested to the guide that if the island were ever built, it would make sense to name it "Alcatraz Island". She was less than amused. ^_^

I like it! That would definitely catch on down at the courthouse. :lol:

On a brighter note, the jails are oriented toward the courthouse area, so there is very little jail traffic north of the immediate vicinity of the jails. That leaves a respectable section of Alcatraz available for residential. It would take a certain breed to live there, though. :D

I like it! That would definitely catch on down at the courthouse. :lol:

On a brighter note, the jails are oriented toward the courthouse area, so there is very little jail traffic north of the immediate vicinity of the jails. That leaves a respectable section of Alcatraz available for residential. It would take a certain breed to live there, though. :D

Well, I would be in opposition of ever living so close to the jails. I mean, come on, with my group of friends and all the HAIFers I met at the mixer, I would constantly be getting phone calls to walk across the street and bail people out. :P

What's so bad about living next to a jail?

It's not like your neighbors are going to be honking their horns, or playing loud music, or breaking into houses, or attacking people. THEY"RE...IN...JAIL!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

is this project on schedule?

Museum District Art Walk Project

Museum of Fine Arts, Houston Museum of Fine Arts, Houston

The Museum District Walk project is another element of the Main Street Corridor Revitalization Project, intended to provide enhanced pedestrian and transit oriented improvements along the 7.5-mile stretch of Main Street between Downtown and Loop 610 South.

The purpose of the Museum District Walk Project is to enhance the pedestrian experience within Houston's Museum District and to improve pedestrian links between museums, area attractions and transit stops.

The Museum District is rich in educational and tourist resources and is enjoyed by more than six million Houstonians and visitors each year. The District includes ten museums and is adjacent to other attractions and venues, such as Hermann Park, Miller Outdoor Theater, Park Plaza Hospital and Rice University. The new light rail line, that bisects the district, will likely increase the number of visitors to the area via transit and will, in turn, increase pedestrian activity within the neighborhood.

museum walk website

• 7 years later...

Lol we have 2 completely opposite desires here.. I too hope they close the rest of main st through downtown, or at the very least extend the pedestrian only zone from Main Street square a few blocks north and south, so that the road is closed to at least greenstreet to the south, and the new central station to the north.. Though it would be cool to connect the pedestrian area all the way to the historic/market square district.

• Like 1

Lol we have 2 completely opposite desires here.. I too hope they close the rest of main st through downtown, or at the very least extend the pedestrian only zone from Main Street square a few blocks north and south, so that the road is closed to at least greenstreet to the south, and the new central station to the north.. Though it would be cool to connect the pedestrian area all the way to the historic/market square district.

Yes, I think foot traffic and a friendly pedestrian environment would be a boon for all the new bars and restaurants coming in on the North end of Main Street.

• Like 2

The big problem about closing the rest of Main Street is the train's still there, which at the very least will be a barricade to pedestrians (not to mention the crosswalks across the rest of the cross streets). Although if Main Street was closed after certain hours, that might help to your ideals.

Historically, though, the conversion to pedestrian malls have generally proven to be failures with very few exceptions. 

• Like 1

How about the streets in downtown Dallas that are light rail only now? Though closing the street to vehicular traffic after certain hours could work too..

How about it?  Honest question.  Has it been successful in promoting pedestrian activity and street level retail on Pacific Ave and Bryan Street?

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

They didn't cannibalize a north-south corridor (for one thing). Secondly, the existing sidewalks aren't particularly narrow or busy. If a friend and I can have a beer outside of The Flying Saucer and still have people walk by without squeezing past each other, then you don't need a wider sidewalk. Or even on a mid-day weekday (and I've seen both). If it's after hours that are the biggest thing, consider putting gates that block traffic between 10 pm and 5 am.

• Like 1

How about it? Honest question. Has it been successful in promoting pedestrian activity and street level retail on Pacific Ave and Bryan Street?

I'm not sure, that's part of why I brought them up.. I'm curious to know how they've done. I believe they still have retail lining the corridors even though there is no vehicular traffic. Of course the main reason those streets were closed is because downtown Dallas streets are too narrow for both rail and vehicles so they didn't have an option. It's not like they expanded the sidewalks/outdoor cafe seating any through that area..