Digital TV Delays

Geoff8201

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In part yes, but the biggest winners of spectrum in the auction were Verizon and AT&T.

Its not about me. I have no interest in coupons for myself. The government has a responsibility to fix what they broke, or rather, what they auctioned off. I see that you disagree, but it looks like you've lost this one because the coupons are still going to be distributed and the forced roll out has been pushed back to June. Verizon and AT&T will have to wait a little while longer and be patient while this transition takes place.

Agreed, because everyone has to have those new snazzy iphones and G3s. BLEH ! I am sure the roll out will be pushed back yet again when the June date arrives.

In part yes, but the biggest winners of spectrum in the auction were Verizon and AT&T.

Its not about me. I have no interest in coupons for myself. The government has a responsibility to fix what they broke, or rather, what they auctioned off. I see that you disagree, but it looks like you've lost this one because the coupons are still going to be distributed and the forced roll out has been pushed back to June. Verizon and AT&T will have to wait a little while longer and be patient while this transition takes place.

I turned my BC396t and noticed digital P25 transmissions on 770mhz on my scanner already. I wonder what if anything this delay will affect in that range.

I turned my BC396t and noticed digital P25 transmissions on 770mhz on my scanner already. I wonder what if anything this delay will affect in that range.

The only thing I can think of in 700 MHz is going to be Verizon's future LTE (4G) mobile phones, but those are still half a decade away from becoming reality. They're supposed to operate on 746

I hate this digital tv crap. It just makes my life more complicated. Instead of a consistently bad signal now I get a slightly better one that goes completely out every so often. Also, the extra channels are not interesting to me.

This complaint would fit in a myriad of different topics. Last summer, I complained that when DirecTV gave me a new HD box and antenna to replace my 4 year old setup, the new box would not accept my over-the-air antenna. Now, I have better reception...until my DirecTV signal goes out...then, NOTHING.

I fail to understand the insistence on taking away our flexibility. This all or nothing mentality has not increased our quality of life, regardless what the commercials tell you.

This complaint would fit in a myriad of different topics. Last summer, I complained that when DirecTV gave me a new HD box and antenna to replace my 4 year old setup, the new box would not accept my over-the-air antenna. Now, I have better reception...until my DirecTV signal goes out...then, NOTHING.

I fail to understand the insistence on taking away our flexibility. This all or nothing mentality has not increased our quality of life, regardless what the commercials tell you.

Why can't you connect your over the air antenna directly to your TV?

Why can't you connect your over the air antenna directly to your TV?

That is not the problem. The problem is that I used a diplexer to get the dish signal and the antenna signal to the DirecTV box. The new box will not accept a signal that ran through a diplexer. I don't know why. I could run a second antenna cable to the TV, and switch over every time the DirecTV goes out. But, considering that with my old HD box, I had both signals accessible through my remote, having to pull the TV from the wall to switch signals seems to be a bit of a regression, doesn't it?

It is simply an attempt to force reliance on their product and theirs only, and frankly, I hate them for it. More American marketing ingenuity.

It is simply an attempt to force reliance on their product and theirs only, and frankly, I hate them for it. More American marketing ingenuity.

While we're fighting progress, lets get the auto manufactures to start putting 8 track players back in their cars so I can use my old 8 track tapes.

And back to delaying it... again.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/02/04/digital...vote/index.html

Turn off the analog, and the millions whom haven't made the switch, will make the switch. Either that or they wont watch TV and possibly do something constructive in their lives... either are fine by me.

Fine by you, but not fine by the Congress, so we will delay. No skin off your nose, fine by me.

Good lord... people have had forever to prepare for this... i garauntee even with the delay many will still not be prepared b/c they will just sit around putting it off like they did this time.

Vouchers ran out, this is the government's fault. They said vouchers would be available to all who wanted one, vouchers were not available. Promise broken, push it back.

And back to delaying it... again.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/02/04/digital...vote/index.html

Turn off the analog, and the millions whom haven't made the switch, will make the switch. Either that or they wont watch TV and possibly do something constructive in their lives... either are fine by me.

Well. at least those stations that are willing can still go forth with the original date. Think of it as a window with a deadline, rather than a transition date. I doubt many stations will wait until June. Isn't the cost to operate analog signals versus digital a huge difference.

funny-pictures-kitten-plugs-in-tv.jpg

is anyone else having trouble getting reception on the digital PBS station(supposedly channel 9 but I've tried that and 8-1)...I live just west of downtown so I don't see why I shouldn't be able to receive a signal(I know the signal towers are somewhere else but geeze)...I sure hope I can find out what to do so I don't miss my EastEnders on Sunday night(don't google what that is, you'll be sorry)

I've been ringing that bell since cell phones went digital in the 90's. Analog isn't necessarily bad. Digital isn't necessarily good.

That is not the problem. The problem is that I used a diplexer to get the dish signal and the antenna signal to the DirecTV box. The new box will not accept a signal that ran through a diplexer. I don't know why. I could run a second antenna cable to the TV, and switch over every time the DirecTV goes out. But, considering that with my old HD box, I had both signals accessible through my remote, having to pull the TV from the wall to switch signals seems to be a bit of a regression, doesn't it?

You'll be happy to know that most of the new TVs (at least every one I've seen in the last three years) have multiple inputs on the back so that you can flip from source to source (Mine has two for two different antennae and about six for other SD and HD sources). In your case, it sounds like everything has to go through one pipe to get to your TV. That's gotta suck. But in a few years when you get your next TV things will be simpler for you.

It should also be noted that there are hundreds of TV stations that CAN'T NOT go digital on the 17th. There's a lot of things involved in making the switch (real estate, licensing, permits, equipment, and more) so that some stations have no choice, no matter what congress wants. Some stations simply can't get parts to keep their analog transmitters running. Some can't afford to have both on air. It's a very complex issue. KHOU and KTRK are already running their analog signals at reduced power.

Bottom line -- 700+ stations are going all-digital on February 17th, no matter what the congresscritters say.

According to this list, KTRK (13) and KETH (14) are going, no matter what.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I was watching Channel 13 at the big switch moment, and the digital feed promptly went black. I'm just gonna assume it was my crappy antenna.

my digital tuner in the computer did the same thing....and it says signal strength is high.

I was watching Channel 13 at the big switch moment, and the digital feed promptly went black. I'm just gonna assume it was my crappy antenna.

They may have switched the freqency of the digital signal at the same time they shut off the analog possibly moving into the UHF spectrum from VHF which would be an issue for a UHF only antenna.

I was watching KHOU this morning live (digital via antenna) when they made the switch. The signal stayed up no problem, even though they said that the digital signal would drop off the air. I'm not sure if they screwed up the transition and left both digital transmitters online, or if the anchors didn't know what they were talking about.

I saw Channel 13 turn off their analog signal. It went static on analog. Channel 2 is still running their DTV PSA. I notice Channel 51 is not on the digital line up.

Not sure, but I think that 51 & 26 are on the same antenna and it will not be fully operational until August. ...like they didn't have time to plan for this... I think they're working, but on limited signal strength until August.

Archived