GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/green/arti...record_numbers/

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachus...feet_are_first/

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/green/arti...on_record_pace/

http://hawk.heraldinteractive.com/news/reg...as_prices_rise/

http://money.cnn.com/2007/06/13/real_estat...mutes/index.htm

Here ya go. Enjoy. Still not finding anything that suggests 11% use the MBTA.

And as for Niche, "greater Boston" means the metro area same as it does when someone refers to "greater Houston."

If I wanted to use percentages for the City of Boston ONLY, they would SKYROCKET but that would be an unfair comparison to Houston.

Hold your horses, there buddy. The 32% number you quote is indeed for the City of Boston only. For Boston metro ("Greater Boston") is in 11% See the actual source of information:

US Census Bureau

US Census Bureau re: Boston (City of)

Well the city would be much more progressive and we'd probably already have light rail,commuter rails, and even a subway system. When you have people way out there in the boonies voting for rennovations and public transit inside the core, you have lots of surburbanites out there who love their cars and see no point in voting yes to some type of public transit within the city. The city would also be much more dense and developed. Even though the city would lose its 4th biggest city rank,we'd still be a world class city!

"Progressive"? Rail technology is progressive? I don't understand the terms you're using. We have public transit inside the core.

Its cheap and ...

Say no more. People live here because it is cheap. Why is it cheap? In large part because everyone isn't living on top of each other. We can copy other places and make it more expensive, or those who want more density can just move. I vote for the 2nd option.

"Progressive"? Rail technology is progressive? I don't understand the terms you're using. We have public transit inside the core.

;-) I generally support urban rail, but also get chuckle out of people referring to what is essentially 19th (or is it 18th) century technology as somehow "progressive".

Hold your horses, there buddy. The 32% number you quote is indeed for the City of Boston only. For Boston metro ("Greater Boston") is in 11% See the actual source of information:

US Census Bureau

US Census Bureau re: Boston (City of)

Considering that the 11% figure includes far flung towns in Southern New Hampshire, towns that border Rhode Island, and even towns on Cape Cod, it isn't that hard to believe. Not every place should have quality transit options because that would just encourage more sprawl.

Here are the facts and figures for Boston and the cities and towns which have subway, light rail, ferry, and bus service. The population estimates are for 2007 and the commuting patterns from 2003. They are ranked by total % of workers who ride transit, walk, or carpool to work.

CAMBRDIGE

101,388 population

33.2% use public transit for work commute

54.8% public transit, walk, or carpool

BOSTON

32.3%

54.5%

BROOKLINE

30.7%

51.3%

SOMERVILLE

29.2%

49.1%

CHELSEA

24.9%

49.0%

EVERETT

19.9%

37.9%

MALDEN

23.7%

37.5%

REVERE

20.8%

35.4%

QUINCY

25.4%

34.9%

MEDFORD

18.1%

32.0%

WATERTOWN

15.1%

28.2%

LYNN

9.3%

27.1%

NEWTON

12.3%

24.0%

WALTHAM

8.5%

TOTAL AREA

27.2%

45.9%

Do you honestly believe this tripe? Or are you just trolling for the kind of response that'll get me banned from HAIF? <_<

It's so outlandish, you need not get riled up by it. I could see how it's hypothetically true -- if, through a divine act of God, there is suddenly light rail everywhere in greater Houston, many people would be dissatisfied. Case closed.

Houston is too big of a city to have only a 7 mile rail system. If you don't want rail, than don't live in the core. If you think Houston is a great walkable city when you have so many streets without sidewalks and not much pedestrian traffic,than your wrong.

I don't think anybody thinks Houston is a very walkable city -- I live downtown and still drive to places. Guess what? All my friends are in the burbs. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with driving. It's a free democracy; if you like urbanity, vote with your real estate choice; if you like rail, vote with your Q Card. Then vote for the rail propositions and make sure all your neighbors do too. ;)

Edited by desirous

It's so outlandish, you need not get riled up by it. I could see how it's hypothetically true -- if, through a divine act of God, there is suddenly light rail everywhere in greater Houston, many people would be dissatisfied. Case closed.

I don't think anybody thinks Houston is a very walkable city -- I live downtown and still drive to places. Guess what? All my friends are in the burbs. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with driving. It's a free democracy; if you like urbanity, vote with your real estate choice; if you like rail, vote with your Q Card. Then vote for the rail propositions and make sure all your neighbors do too. ;)

I never said driving should be banned. I'm just stating that Houston is a very big city and it's about time it got some serious LRT going. I'm moving to Houston in August and I can't take my car for the 1st semester of college, so I have to ride the bus, but I'd honestly rather ride rail. I just enjoy the fact that it moves faster with lesser stops.

Considering that the 11% figure includes far flung towns in Southern New Hampshire, towns that border Rhode Island, and even towns on Cape Cod, it isn't that hard to believe. Not every place should have quality transit options because that would just encourage more sprawl.

Here are the facts and figures for Boston and the cities and towns which have subway, light rail, ferry, and bus service. The population estimates are for 2007 and the commuting patterns from 2003. They are ranked by total % of workers who ride transit, walk, or carpool to work.

CAMBRDIGE

101,388 population

33.2% use public transit for work commute

54.8% public transit, walk, or carpool

BOSTON

32.3%

54.5%

BROOKLINE

30.7%

51.3%

SOMERVILLE

29.2%

49.1%

CHELSEA

24.9%

49.0%

EVERETT

19.9%

37.9%

MALDEN

23.7%

37.5%

REVERE

20.8%

35.4%

QUINCY

25.4%

34.9%

MEDFORD

18.1%

32.0%

WATERTOWN

15.1%

28.2%

LYNN

9.3%

27.1%

NEWTON

12.3%

24.0%

WALTHAM

8.5%

TOTAL AREA

27.2%

45.9%

<yawn> Is that your round-about way of saying that the statement you made earlier was incorrect? (The metropolitan area includes what it includes. You flatly stated that the 32% number applied to the "greater Boston area" and then told us that the "greater Boston area" was the same as "Boston Metro area".) Anyhoo, I'm not sure why we are supposed to be excited about the use of mass transit by Bostonians and certain carefully selected its suburbs.

I never said driving should be banned. I'm just stating that Houston is a very big city and it's about time it got some serious LRT going. I'm moving to Houston in August and I can't take my car for the 1st semester of college, so I have to ride the bus, but I'd honestly rather ride rail. I just enjoy the fact that it moves faster with lesser stops.

If rail is important, why did you decide to move to Houston?

<yawn> Is that your round-about way of saying that the statement you made earlier was incorrect? (The metropolitan area includes what it includes. You flatly stated that the 32% number applied to the "greater Boston area" and then told us that the "greater Boston area" was the same as "Boston Metro area".) Anyhoo, I'm not sure why we are supposed to be excited about the use of mass transit by Bostonians and certain carefully selected its suburbs.

Yawn? What are you, 13?

The Niche's first claim was that "even in Boston, only about 11% of people commute using any kind of public transportation."

That was wrong. In 2006, 31.7% of Bostonians commuted by using bus, light rail, ferry, or subway service. I provided links showing that usage rates have blown up with the price of gas since then. Boston has just a few thousand more people than the Inner Loop of Houston. Imagine if 3 out of every 10 people used public transit in Houston's Inner Loop. That would take a lot of cars off of the road. That was my initial point.

The Niche then claimed he was talking about the MSA of Boston. That's all good and well, but there are many places in the MSA which don't receive MBTA service. I am not sure how people are supposed to use public transit when it isn't offered to them! That was my second point and why I listed the towns and cities which receive extensive MBTA service. Additionally, many areas of Boston's MSA have their own regional bus service. Brockton, Cape Ann, Attleboro-Taunton, Lowell, Merrimack Valley, Montachusett, and Worcester are the areas that have their own service and whose riders wouldn't be reflected in the MBTA's figures. The MBTA serves a region which is called "Greater Boston." The cities and towns in 'Greater Boston" that received either bus, light rail, subway, and/or ferry service were listed in my post above (that I could find figures for). In these cities and towns, public transit usage averaged out to about 27% from a population of over 1.4 million people. Again, this number is MUCH higher than the 11% figure given by the Niche to support his point.

That is why I posted what I did. I believe in providing a solid public transit system because it eventually can help reduce congestion by taking cars off of the road. That is why I support the light rail expansion and do not appreciate fabrications by the Niche to make a point.

Edited by KinkaidAlum

Buttinsky?

That sounds vaguely Polish when pronounced correctly.

Nothing, Mr. Buttinsky. I was asking madmann101 for the reasons he chose Houston, reasons that apparently outweigh his desire for rail transport.

Maybe for a reason similar to mine, for moving back down from Chicago: I get a posh 1-1 in the Rice for the same price as my roach-infested dump in downtown Chicago. :lol:

Besides, Houston's got the best Chinese food between the two coasts, and the chode of a rail line isn't bad when you live next to a station.

Just curious, but do you all think the HOB will be a Warehouse Live killer... just like Warehouse Live was an Engine Room killer?

I don't think that will be the case, it'll just add another venue for performers to go to. HOB probably charges more for its venue than WHL or Merdian. Also, The Continental Club is building a place as well, remember?

Yawn? What are you, 13?

The Niche's first claim was that "even in Boston, only about 11% of people commute using any kind of public transportation."

That was wrong. In 2006, 31.7% of Bostonians commuted by using bus, light rail, ferry, or subway service. I provided links showing that usage rates have blown up with the price of gas since then. Boston has just a few thousand more people than the Inner Loop of Houston. Imagine if 3 out of every 10 people used public transit in Houston's Inner Loop. That would take a lot of cars off of the road. That was my initial point.

The Niche then claimed he was talking about the MSA of Boston. That's all good and well, but there are many places in the MSA which don't receive MBTA service. I am not sure how people are supposed to use public transit when it isn't offered to them! That was my second point and why I listed the towns and cities which receive extensive MBTA service. Additionally, many areas of Boston's MSA have their own regional bus service. Brockton, Cape Ann, Attleboro-Taunton, Lowell, Merrimack Valley, Montachusett, and Worcester are the areas that have their own service and whose riders wouldn't be reflected in the MBTA's figures. The MBTA serves a region which is called "Greater Boston." The cities and towns in 'Greater Boston" that received either bus, light rail, subway, and/or ferry service were listed in my post above (that I could find figures for). In these cities and towns, public transit usage averaged out to about 27% from a population of over 1.4 million people. Again, this number is MUCH higher than the 11% figure given by the Niche to support his point.

That is why I posted what I did. I believe in providing a solid public transit system because it eventually can help reduce congestion by taking cars off of the road. That is why I support the light rail expansion and do not appreciate fabrications by the Niche to make a point.

In the post to which you had initially objected (#3586), I identified my source, the geography of interest, and intentionally DID NOT capitalize the word "city", which would otherwise indicate that I were referring to a municipality. See below.

Making any kind of comparison between a City as ridiculously huge as Houston and a City as small as Boston is intellectually dishonest...like when the Greater Houston Partnership tries to boast that the City of Houston has the fourth largest population of any City in the country or that we have the second greatest number of Fortune 500 headquarters. I use metropolitan areas because they allow for more valid, apples-to-apples, comparisons.

If you still feel that I'm making fabrications, report me to the moderator. Get me banned from HAIF on the grounds that I violated the guidelines and terms of service by spreading misinformation.

According to the Census Bureau's 2006 American Community Survey, there is no statistically meaningful difference (approx. 6 to 12 seconds) in average commute times between the Los Angeles, Boston, or Houston metropolitan areas.

I don't dispute the higher efficacy of a train system in a more centralized city as opposed to a more decentralized city, however I would dispute that that necessarily makes them more commuter-friendly in a general sense. Not many people actually ride trains. Even in Boston, only about 11% of people commute using any kind of public transportation.

Edited by TheNiche

Yawn? What are you, 13?

Your revisionist history is entertaining, but not convincing. The record shows that YOU claimed that the 32% number applied to the Boston metro area, not just the city of Boston. I do not appreciate fabrications. You seem to have a sliding scale . . .

I am glad you find me entertaining.

I admit my initial claim that the figures were for Greater Boston was in error. I have no problem admitting that. I simply thought that the Boston Globe would be reporting MBTA figures which covers much more than the City of Boston.

Now, will the Niche admit that his first post claiming only 11% of people in Boston (notice the capital B) was in error as well or do you not have a problem with the original claim?

Now, will the Niche admit that his first post claiming only 11% of people in Boston (notice the capital B) was in error as well or do you not have a problem with the original claim?

If I started typing out Boston-Quincy-Cambridge MSA (notice that all words in the proper name are capitalized even though I'm not referring to any one of them as an independent entity), it would just seem to most (competent) HAIFers like I were talking down to them...most of them seem to know better than to compare municipalities or think that I would after having already referenced statistics by MSA. You don't seem to grasp that concept...or more likely just relish an opportunity at being assinine.

Troll be gone!

If rail is important, why did you decide to move to Houston?

I love Houston and it's my favorite city in Texas! I can live without rail,but I just think rail would be a lot more helpful. I'm also moving there to attend college and get away from Waco and bad memories here. I'd choose Dallas, but Houston just seems like more of a better choice for me and also have tons of family there.

Edited by madmann101