Big Tex Storage At 730 E. 11th St.

tmariar

What do you all think the useful life of these storage facilities will be that are located in in-demand inner loop neighborhoods such as the Heights and Montrose?

I imagine the construction cost is high enough that the landowner will want to keep it for a while, but low enough that they’d demolish again if something better presents itself for the space.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

What do you all think the useful life of these storage facilities will be that are located in in-demand inner loop neighborhoods such as the Heights and Montrose?

I imagine the construction cost is high enough that the landowner will want to keep it for a while, but low enough that they’d demolish again if something better presents itself for the space.

I knew this guy in my hometown that owned/built climate controlled storage buildings.   He said it was much easier than dealing with tenants and margins were great if you had the initial capital.  So yeah I doubt these are going anywhere for a long time.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Big Tex Storage The Heights: 7-Story Storage At 730 E. 11th St.
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Avossos said:

Could be a lot worse…

The middle section with the windows on the lower floors is surprisingly nice, agreed. I think the rest of the structure leaves a bit to be desired considering the surroundings, will give some credit to @hindesky for the nice photo lighting 👌 Hoping for some good landscaping to block the view at street level, and that they don't plaster BigTex Storage on the front gray panels!

Edited by twisterhunt
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, twisterhunt said:

The middle section with the windows on the lower floors is surprisingly nice, agreed. I think the rest of the structure leaves a bit to be desired considering the surroundings, will give some credit to @hindesky for the nice photo lighting 👌 Hoping for some good landscaping to block the view at street level, and that they don't plaster BigTex Storage on the front gray panels!

Oh you know they will.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone going to the 11th St meeting today at Buchanan's?

34 minutes ago, august948 said:

As usual, all the pearl clutching was for nothing.  Watch and see as the original protesters start furtively moving stuff in there at night.

I was one of those protestors. I wasn't against what was being built but the property owners lack of foresight for the existing building. Would have been cool to incorporate the facade in to the design. They could have used the existing church sign.

14 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Anyone going to the 11th St meeting today at Buchanan's?

I was one of those protestors. I wasn't against what was being built but the property owners lack of foresight for the existing building. Would have been cool to incorporate the facade in to the design. They could have used the existing church sign.

I'm having trouble imagining what that would look like.  Would have been cool, though, to incorporate the lampposts the protest signs showed the building eating.  Or at least a Big Tex...

Big_Tex_2013.jpg

2 hours ago, august948 said:

They really don't need anything flashy.  People will be breaking down the door to rent these.

You’d be amazed how much a little bit of good quality branding helps a product or service become even more successful. But my point is more about the aesthetic to the neighborhood, not whether there is a demand for storage space. The building is solid infill overall but that doesn’t mean a place can’t improve it’s aesthetics. Plus you’re talking to a graphic designer. It’s hard to ignore how ugly that logo is. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

You’d be amazed how much a little bit of good quality branding helps a product or service become even more successful. But my point is more about the aesthetic to the neighborhood, not whether there is a demand for storage space. The building is solid infill overall but that doesn’t mean a place can’t improve it’s aesthetics. Plus you’re talking to a graphic designer. It’s hard to ignore how ugly that logo is. 

Fair enough.

There's a lot of flat, grey, open space there.  Someone with the right painting skills could fancy it up one night. 😛

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • The title was changed to Big Tex Storage At 730 E. 11th St.