Downtown Major Grocer

Let's bring a grocery store to downtown (in good URBAN form of course)!  

83 members have voted

1. 1. What major grocery store would you like to see come to downtown?

• HEB's Central Market
    • Whole Foods
    • Trader Joe's
    • Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market
    • Other

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
77002: 13,289

77003: 9,195

77004: 30,379

77006: 18,875

77010: 76

77019: 15,640

Total: 87,454

These are 2000 numbers, but they're the ones that business decisions will be made on until the new set comes out for 2010.

77023: 33,050.....So who thinks East End doesn't need one? It will be in the 40-45K range for the 2010 census.

77023: 33,050.....So who thinks East End doesn't need one? It will be in the 40-45K range for the 2010 census.

There hasn't really been any substantial amount of new construction in 77023, and as the demographics have improved, we will witness declining average household sizes, increasing household income, and soaring per capita income. I believe that housing transaction activity in 2009 and 2010 will be slower in this area, discouraging household turnover and slowing the gentrification trend. The 2010 Census will still be important to prove to retailers that the 77023 has momentum, but I no longer expect as vast and overwhelming of a transformation as I once did.

• 2 months later...
77007 has the Kroger on west gray. It would not make sense to drive all the way Downtown for groceries.

I live in 77007 and I'm much closer to downtown than River Oaks. I usually shop in the Heights or Montrose, sometimes all the way to the HEB in Timbergrove/Lazybrook. It would be VERY nice to have a grocer nearby.

I think Targ

• 2 weeks later...
The sign says Byrd's Cafe and Market, Spring 2009. It looks like it's going to be an upscale deli and market. You might be able to find hamburger buns there, but they're not going to be Sunbeam (IMO). There's no building activity going on in there right now.

I walked by this place the other day and they're putting up aluminum studs for future walls.

I meant to say metal, Stud. Anyway, I need to walk back over there to see if any progress has been made.

I am an architect (and a construction specification writer in particular - thus the user name) and rsb is correct. The precise technical term is "metal studs" (or "light gage metal framing system" if you include the bottom and top tracks and other accessories). This is the case even though the material is almost always steel. And, yes, I caught the joke. Clever.

But I digress. . . No one has mentioned yet that Spec's on Smith Steet has a "food department" that has fresh produce as well. True it does not have all that a Whole Foods or Central Market has but you could certainly drop by and get what would be needed for a meal or two. I think they may even sell a few sundries like bath soap and toilet tissue. In any case there is a CVS up the street for that.

I get lost and frustrated in these huge super stores. Also, when I go to Target, or Home Depot, or Super Kroger to pick up two or three things they are invariably in opposite corners of the enormous building. I'm lazy. I'll give up huge variety for convenience. Price is something I'll budge on a little but not too much. I definitely would not drive five miles to save 50 cents for example.

Another grocery store that seems convenient to downtown/midtown is the Fiesta on Dunlavy at West Alabama. It seems to be somewhat different in character and merchandise than the one at Alabama between San Jacinto and Caroline. It was voted best by Houston Press in 2003 for what that is worth. One thing they do not seem to have is a reasonable selection of cold cereals that adults might like (unless you are a big Capt'n Crunch fan).

One other that bears mentioning is the Lucky 7 on Fairview at Taft. Is it still there? When I went there periodically in the early 90's they always had pretty good produce at a decent price. It wasn't bright and shiny but I never felt like I had to run out of the place before I caught cooties or something.

I think the standard for people living downtown will be to use what I will call a "walk-to" grocery store. If it is close enough for the average person to walk to and carry home only what fits in his or her recycleable shopping bag or fold-up cart then it does not have to be as big as a suburban grocery store. True one would have to make more frequent trips but that might be a good thing as we would all be eating fresh food and less processed stuff. It sounds so urban and chic. Of course, most of us would make a weekly or semi-monthly trip to SuperTarget or Walmart to get the good prices on household items or other things.

I'm in my late 40's but I think I will see the day when living "downtown" for anyone who wants to is all the good things it can be.

I used to "Word Process" red-lined architectural specifications in the 80's, but many arch terms don't come to me quickly anymore. Metal/steel, whatever, they're not pine.

The store on Fairview/Taft closed. There's a thread here somewhere about it. There's been talk of Baby Barnaby's opening there.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody else ever frequent that old grocery store that was one block south of the old court house....maybe Fannin @ Capitol? For many years it was the *only* grocery store downtown. I went there quite a few times (this was '80s-mid-'90s), but now I can't remember the name. The building is still there but it's no longer a grocery.

I got this e-mail from the Downtown District today.

--------------

Do You Want

A Downtown

Grocery Store!?

To residents, workers and visitors:

Nothing says "neighborhood" more than a grocery store. As the Downtown District and our partners work towards making downtown a vibrant and livable community, attracting retail is a major focus. We very much would like to see a full service grocery store in downtown and we want to hear from you what type of store you'd like to see, what services you'd like offered and what store characteristics are most important.

The survey should take approximately 5-10 minutes. Please respond by Sunday, April 26 and spread the word-tell your friends and coworkers to fill out the survey too. It can also be accessed from our website at www.houstondowntown.com.

HEB or Kroger would be awesome and could eliminate another surface parking lot.

I say HEB because there aren't m(any?) inside the loop. Buffalo Spdwy isn't open yet.

Goy my red card yesterday and posted same alert under East End Forum :D

Yeah, I actually ended up voting for H-E-B on the survey... It'd be especially nice if it were like the one on I-10 west (which seems like a cross between H-E-B and Central Market). I think it's a good fit for downtown, and will help to promote a nice "Texan feel".

Yeah, I actually ended up voting for H-E-B on the survey... It'd be especially nice if it were like the one on I-10 west (which seems like a cross between H-E-B and Central Market). I think it's a good fit for downtown, and will help to promote a nice "Texan feel".

I have a hard time imagining where a grocery store of that size would go in downtown. Clearly there's plenty of empty parking lots, but I'm sure they're asking a small fortune for those plots. East End would be great because there are so many vacant warehouses begging to be torn down.

• 4 weeks later...
I just strolled by Byrd's Market (Coming Spring 2009) at Main and Prairie. I didn't see any new activity. The exposed metal studs are there with no walls yet.

Anybody have status on this? Doesn't look like much is going on. The signs still say opening Spring 2009 (haha).

I have a hard time imagining where a grocery store of that size would go in downtown. Clearly there's plenty of empty parking lots, but I'm sure they're asking a small fortune for those plots. East End would be great because there are so many vacant warehouses begging to be torn down.

really?...I think they would make great lofts or coffee shops.

Archived