Downtown Major Grocer

Let's bring a grocery store to downtown (in good URBAN form of course)!  

83 members have voted

1. 1. What major grocery store would you like to see come to downtown?

• HEB's Central Market
    • Whole Foods
    • Trader Joe's
    • Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market
    • Other

L.A. also has a bustling farmers market that I keep reading about in Bon Appetit, of which there are several ethnic and very good eateries.

It always kind of bothered me that Houston didn't seem to have a real permanent farmer's market near the central city at all. Should that be the case, that could put affordable produce and other staples at downtown's reach.

Ah, but there actually was a real farmer's market near downtown Houston for many years. I don't know the street it was on, but it was demolished during the post-World War II building boom, probably in the early 1950's. When I was a child, my mother shopped there frequently.

As I recall, the place consisted of a couple of long concrete sheds with open stalls underneath where produce was displayed. Some stalls were wholesale only and catered to restaurants and small neighborhood grocers. Behind the sheds was an open area where trucks would park and unload produce from farms fairly close to Houston. Back then, food produced farther away was shipped across the country by rail in either regular or refrigerated freight cars.

Live poultry in wire cages was available, too. During Thanksgiving week and again during Christmas week, my mother would carefully select and buy a large tom turkey. It would then be taken home where it was quickly beheaded, dressed and refrigerated until time to prepare the holiday feast. As a small child, I was fascinated and learned much by observing. Years later, I was able to recall what to do when faced with live poultry and an empty cooking pot.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, it's neither.

Sort of. Aldi split in the 1960s, and the Aldi Nord company operates Trader Joe's as well as Aldi stores in most of Europe (France, Spain, Netherlands), while Aldi Süd operates in southern Europe, the English-speaking countries (USA, Britain, Australia).

It's complicated, I just really found out about it recently. Either way, both operate in Houston.

Sort of. Aldi split in the 1960s, and the Aldi Nord company operates Trader Joe's as well as Aldi stores in most of Europe (France, Spain, Netherlands), while Aldi Süd operates in southern Europe, the English-speaking countries (USA, Britain, Australia).

It's complicated, I just really found out about it recently. Either way, both operate in Houston.

To clarify, Trader Joe's and US Aldis are parts of two separate and distinct companies, not merely 2 different divisions. They do not have common ownership, operations, or management.

But they do have various different soda pop and potato chips, true no CocaCola, or Pepsico (Frito Lay is owned by Pepsi) products. But hey at least at Whole Foods you can branch out and try some hand bottled strawberry/kiwi soda thing paired with some artisan baked cucumber chips. At Phoenicia I'd have buy some random spices to rub in my armpits when I'm out of deodorant.

Well, part of the problem about Trader Joe's and Whole Foods is that (like I guess I would consider Phoenicia though I actually don't know what their product line-up is like) they're what you call "specialty grocery stores", in which that they could theoretically provide you with groceries, the brands are too unique and line-up too specialized. That's why, for instance, both my cousin (Houston area) and my brother (non-Houston area) go to Trader Joe's on a less-regular basis then they would a "real" grocery store, because of those specialized products and lack of "normal" products.

Know what I mean?

Well, part of the problem about Trader Joe's and Whole Foods is that (like I guess I would consider Phoenicia though I actually don't know what their product line-up is like) they're what you call "specialty grocery stores", in which that they could theoretically provide you with groceries, the brands are too unique and line-up too specialized. That's why, for instance, both my cousin (Houston area) and my brother (non-Houston area) go to Trader Joe's on a less-regular basis then they would a "real" grocery store, because of those specialized products and lack of "normal" products.

Know what I mean?

Sort of.

Whole Foods and Phoenicia both have a good selection of actual food (meat, fish, cheese, produce, bread etc) and prepared food, but they don't have much in the way of traditional American junk food.

Trader Joe's actually has plenty of junk food. 

I actually stopped by Phoenicia the other day and noticed that they even carry cat and dog food now.

Their prices seemed totally reasonable too. $1.29 for broccoli, $9.99/ lb for cod etc.

I think it largely comes down to how you purchase food. If you buy ingredients and go home and cook them Whole Foods and Phoenicia are great. If you want stuff you can throw in your freezer they're not as good.

Know what I mean?

This is a good observation.  I like the idea of a Target.  Perhaps Target could focus on something new "UrbanTarget" or something like that where the store carries all their usual wares minus clothes?  Eliminate clothes and Target greatly reduces its footprint.

Phoenicia was a game-changer for Downtown in my opinion.  But part of the reason that it works so well is because it is a specialty grocer with a large amount of prepared food.  They're a wine bar (MKT), grocer, and have lots of healthier fast food options for conventioneers, general visitors and DT workers alike.  They have a huge and very diverse base of people to draw from. 

it's time for a more general grocer in DT as well.  Midtown has Randall's, but the area has grown so rapidly that they could definitely support another major store.  If put in close proximity to Midtown and the rail line (with the addition of a nice parking garage so people don't have to fight with street traffic), another store would work quite well in DT.  HEB or Kroger Signature would be amazing. 

Would Trader Joe's work downtown?  Of course.  but I think it may be a better fit for the burgeoning EaDo area.  They definitely need more options over there.

It wasn't a major grocery by any means, but Georgia's Market on Main Street has closed.  "Please stay tuned to further development at the Downtown location."  Its tiny "health food" selection had been dwindling. The last time I dropped by, I was looking for coffee beans.  Unflavored, full caffeine beans.  Nope--they had some decaf flavored options.....

Since I commute through downtown, I'm familiar with the options available.  Phoenicia is invaluable as a place to grab a bite and/or a drink. Then shop.  Lots of specialized items, but there's produce, dairy & fresh meat.  The "sundries" section on the second floor is expanding, although it's not geared for the 2.3 kids, 2 pure bred doggie lifestyle.  Please, we don't need to lose this one to a Kroger....

Fiesta is on the rail line--and quite safe in the early evening.  Lots of produce & a good selection of non-grocery essentials, even though it is not "elite.".  Don't forget Spec's Warehouse--some produce, a great selection of specialty foods & some non-grocery stuff.  (No pet food, though!)  

The Tunnel system wouldn't work since it's mostly closed, evenings & weekends.  My dream: A biggish place on one of the new rail lines--still close in.  The selection at HEB Buffalo Mart is ideal--some of the Central Market fancy stuff along with "regular" grocery items--get a loaf of fresh multi-whole grain bread and Little Debbie Snack Cakes!  

Phoenicia is getting better. I walked there the other night from Rice Lofts. Good selection. But they are not a game changer nor are they a major grocer. Just another specialty store. That's not a bad thing, just is what it is. I would go there more often if they had more organic meat/produce. All of their meat is al halal blessed which is good if you're Muslim, but I care less about the Islamic blessing and more about the organic label. I would bet most downtown residents like myself would agree that's why we get in our cars and drive past Phoenicia and shop at HEB on Dunlavy or whole foods on Dallas...

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Downtown's Great Grocer Race
  • The title was changed to Downtown Major Grocer

Archived