Hurricane Ike

Trae

Anyone still not have power? I'm in Katy right now. They got theirs back within hours after the storm. I feel so out of touch with the outside world!

No power at my place in the Heights when I left for work at 5:00 am this morning. Places just west of me have been getting power turned on today and yesterday (according to the Chron)... hopefully I'll be soon!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I barely get a hissed reply from my neighbor too. But I just chalk it up to he's an a**.

Our neighbors have been fantastic. This morning one of them almost forced me to take a bag of ice.

The only stuff we had worth saving in the refrigerator was champagne, and that should be fine.

Just about 1.3 million of us.

I live at FM 1960 @ Ella (close to FM 1960 @ I-45 North). Parts of lower W. FM 1960 have power, but from there on there is NO power all the way up to Champions.

Centerpoint is saying it will be Monday (at the earliest) for 80% of my zip code (77090).

Damn, damn, damn!

Our neighbors have been fantastic. This morning one of them almost forced me to take a bag of ice.

The only stuff we had worth saving in the refrigerator was champagne, and that should be fine.

I did score 2 cases of water. My partner and I were on our daily ritual to eat breakfast and then to the library. I got the bright idea to goto the Acres Homes branch of the HPL since it is a lot closer than downtown.

Well, it was closed (or not open yet), but as we were leaving we noticed a church across the street. There was a gentleman motioning people to drive in. I am a curious soul so crossed the street and pulled in and asked what was going on. He said free water was being given away.

We scored two cases of bottled water.

Well, I won't be having power until sometime after monday (damnit to hell), so I'm saying screw it and going to new york for a few days and watch the yankee's game. :)

so take THAT centerpoint.

MY neighbors have been awesome, they have gotten ice and stuff for me, and I've been buying ice instead of going to the PODs. There is an ice factory right down teh street.

Well, I won't be having power until sometime after monday (damnit to hell), so I'm saying screw it and going to new york for a few days and watch the yankee's game. :)

so take THAT centerpoint.

MY neighbors have been awesome, they have gotten ice and stuff for me, and I've been buying ice instead of going to the PODs. There is an ice factory right down teh street.

Wow... you really showed them. :rolleyes:

UPDATE ON WATER DELIVERY AT PODS IN CITY OF HOUSTON

The City of Houston's water supply has been declared safe to drink and use. Therefore, the delivery of bottled water to Points of Delivery (PODs) in Houston water service areas will cease when supplies run out.

The PODS will continue to distribute ice and food as available until 6:00 p.m.

Sorry if this has been asked or answered elsewhere, but I couldnt find it.....

I am flying back to Houston this weekend and was wondering if there will be any taxis operating at Continental? It appears that the supply of gasoline is still an issue, so I am not sure if the cabs are back to work yet.

I really dont want to land at Continental and then be stuck at the airport.....

taxis are in operation downtown

Our neighbors have been great too. After the 3 hour group cleanup effort Saturday, we cooked dinner and invited the guy staying by himself over for burgers, sausage, and scotch. Then when our neighbors got a generator Sunday, we loaned them an extension cord, bummed power for our fridge, went on a gas-getting adventure for the generator, and tried to help refill and change the oil as much as we could. We had to go out of town yesterday and they were happy to take our nice long list of things to do if/when the power came back on (plug fridge back in, turn A/C up, set alarm), but thankfully it came on and we didn't have to put them through that.

Since our neighbors are so awesome, maybe we should invite all of HAIF to the next alley party we have. I don't see why not.

EVACUATION RESTRICTIONS LIFTED FOR MANY CITIES

Residents Cautioned to Exercise Extreme Care Due to Continued Power Outages and Unsafe Water

(Harris County, TX) - A vast majority of mayors have lifted the evacuation restrictions for several cities near Galveston Bay. Residents are welcomed back, but city mayors remind returning residents that cities are still without power and many still have boil water notices in effect.

The following is a list of evacuation restrictions and boil water notices for individual cities:

City Evacuation Boil Water

Baytown Stay away for 24 hours Yes

Deer Park No Restriction Yes

El Lago No Restriction Yes

Galena Park No Restriction NA

Jacinto City No Restriction NA

La Porte No Restriction Lifted

Morgan's Point NA NA

Nassau Bay Restrictions Lifted Lifted

Pasadena Restrictions Lifted Boil Water for areas that were evacuated - 77058, 77059, 77062, 77586, 77507

Seabrook The only area closed off to the public is from Todville Road from Hammer Street to the Point (where the seafood stores are.) Shipyards have been closed down by the Coast Guard due to diesel spills and other safety issues. Boil Water

Shoreacres Restrictions lifted Yes

South Houston Restrictions lifted Lifted

Taylor Lake Village Restrictions lifted Yes

Webster Restrictions lifted Lifted

I still don't have power and there is a sewage lift station behind my house. It's been running on generator power since the hurricane. It just failed and now the neighborhood is starting to smell like sewage. I submitted a 311 web request about it. Do any of you guys have any advice on what I should do? Is this an emergency? I'm hoping the sewage won't back up into my house.

just got word that I got power back today in Montrose (77098)...though I must admit that there appear to still be many, many without. I was driving along W Alabama and Montrose last night and it was pitch black. The good news is that they must have crews actively working in the area, even though I never saw a soul from CenterPoint

Rode Metro's 700 bus service replacing the Red Line to the TMC from Midtown the past two days, and... holy crap... are those Metro people totally incompetent.

They have buses running every 15-20 minutes during afternoon rush hour... I waited 45 minutes and over an hour the past two afternoons b/c every bus that did come by was packed with bodies. How they think this compensates for trains with a much larger capacity that come twice as often on Metro's most traveled route is pure stupidity.

Travis Street is finally reasonably clean and open for traffic today. I got tired of driving the wrong way through a minefield (two flats this week) to reach the Rice.

Home Depot on I-10/Bingle is wonderful. They had everything I needed each time I went -- chainsaws, bow saws, thousands of cases of bottled water.

I haven't had a chance to post from another computer because I forgot my password. :P

But, I live in 77021, and our neighborhood fared the storm quite well. Power went out for us at midnight, and the winds really came in after that. Our house did not shake AT ALL. When daylight came, we could see that Brays Bayou had left its banks on the north side at Ardmore St., and some people were being rescued from the apartment complex at N. MacGregor and Ardmore because of the flooding and a roof collapse. Our house showed no damage at all, only tree limbs in the yard and a snapped tree. The water in the bayou slowly receeded, and a tour of the neighborhood showed streets such as Rio Vista and Parkwood blocked by oaks and pines, and houses with pines laying on them in the Timbercrest subdivision. Around 10pm, someone made the decision to call my sister's place to see if the answering machine would answer, since she'd lost power. She'd stayed through the storm with us. When we called and the answering machine answered, we swooped on over to her place, and according to Centerpoint, we're a very small minority of people in 77096 to report power, they showed a 100% outage in 77096 as of this morning. I don't know when my neighborhood will receive power again. Centerpoint says after monday, but they said the same thing about portions of 77096. I have a few photos that I'll post to the photo thread.

Also, these four way stops suck. They wouldn't be so bad if people actually knew what to do when approaching an all flashing or lights out intersection.

Still no power for us in Timbergrove, but everyone else has it but for us and the neighbors around us who are served by the pole that got broken by the tree.

I happened to be home last night taking out the trash last night (stinky unfrozen food - blegh) when I saw a Centerpoint truck slowly driving towards me spotlighting all of the poles on the street. So I flagged him down and show him about the broken pole and he says, "Well that's why we keep shorting out up the road! I'll send a crew over tomorrow to fix that up."

11:00pm and it's still technically, "tomorrow," right? So they could still show up now, right? Right?

Still no power for us in Timbergrove, but everyone else has it but for us and the neighbors around us who are served by the pole that got broken by the tree.

I happened to be home last night taking out the trash last night (stinky unfrozen food - blegh) when I saw a Centerpoint truck slowly driving towards me spotlighting all of the poles on the street. So I flagged him down and show him about the broken pole and he says, "Well that's why we keep shorting out up the road! I'll send a crew over tomorrow to fix that up."

11:00pm and it's still technically, "tomorrow," right? So they could still show up now, right? Right?

Centerpoint runs on biblical time. "Tomorrow" was the fourth day of creation where Cold Heineken is created.

All these murderous transformers... damn Decepticons.

EVACUATION RESTRICTIONS LIFTED FOR MANY CITIES

Residents Cautioned to Exercise Extreme Care Due to Continued Power Outages and Unsafe Water

(Harris County, TX) - A vast majority of mayors have lifted the evacuation restrictions for several cities near Galveston Bay. Residents are welcomed back, but city mayors remind returning residents that cities are still without power and many still have boil water notices in effect.

SPECIAL NEEDS EVACUEES REGISTERED WITH THE TRANSPORTATION ASSISTANCE REGISTRY (2-1-1) SHOULD REMAIN AT THEIR CURRENT SHELTERS UNTIL ADVISED BY THEIR LOCAL JURISDICTIONS THAT THEY MAY RETURN.

The following is a list of evacuation restrictions and boil water notices for individual cities:

City Evacuation Boil Water

Baytown Stay away for 24 hours Yes

Deer Park No Restriction Yes

El Lago No Restriction Yes

Galena Park No Restriction NA

Jacinto City No Restriction NA

La Porte No Restriction Lifted

Morgan's Point NA NA

Nassau Bay Restrictions Lifted Lifted

Pasadena Restrictions Lifted Boil Water for areas that were evacuated - 77058, 77059, 77062, 77586, 77507

Seabrook The only area closed off to the public is from Todville Road from Hammer Street to the Point (where the seafood stores are.) Shipyards have been closed down by the Coast Guard due to diesel spills and other safety issues. Boil Water

Shoreacres Restrictions lifted Yes

South Houston Restrictions lifted Lifted

Taylor Lake Village Restrictions lifted Yes

Webster Restrictions lifted Lifted

CITY OF LA PORTE UPDATE

City of La Porte, City Manager Ron Bottoms offered a Hurricane Ike recovery update:

Debris removal has begun. The debris must be separated into four groups as follows: normal household garbage, construction and demolition materials, vegetative debris, and appliances. This is crucial to ensure fast and efficient clean up of the city. Normal garbage schedules have resumed.

The Mayor has amended curfew times from 12:00 a.m. midnight to 5:00 a.m. This mandatory curfew will be in effect until further notice.

There are currently two POD locations available for supplies one at Lomax Jr. High located at 9801 N. Ave. L. and the other at La Porte High located at 301 E. Fairmont Parkway. The plan is to consolidate to one location which will be the High School.

We encourage citizens to take advantage of the free Blue Roof Program run by the Army Corps of Engineers which is set up at Bayshore Baptist Church located at 11315 Spencer Hwy from 8am - 6 pm to get assistance which includes the installation of commercial grade tarps for homes that have suffered roof damages during the hurricane. The number is 1-888-766-3258.

The La Porte Library located at 600 S. Broadway will be open Friday and Saturday from 10 am - 5:00 p.m. with 25 computers that citizens can use to apply for FEMA assistance.

We are working to get the city back to normal as quick as possible. Thank you.

I'm in the Heights and don't have power yet. About 1/4 of my block does, but the evil ones among us are still being punished.

I've decided to just camp at the office. It's pretty good, actually. I've pretty much done everything I can do at home until I get power back, so it's nice to have a place to be that has most of the conveniences.

Since I did a commute on Tuesday and Wednesday, before I decided to just sleep here, I made note of one thing that folks who've hung around the house a lot don't realize: This city is not ready for rush hour to resume on Monday.

PHONE NUMBER CHANGES

The following telephone information numbers have changed. Please forward the information to your viewers:

Hurricane Ike Hotline/Phone Bank is 713-368-2741.

American Red Cross-Houston Chapter:

. Shelter Information has changed from 713-313-5286 to 1-800-RED-CROSS or 1-800-733-2767

. Missing Persons Information has changed from 713-313-1656 to 713-526-8300

Rode Metro's 700 bus service replacing the Red Line to the TMC from Midtown the past two days, and... holy crap... are those Metro people totally incompetent.

They have buses running every 15-20 minutes during afternoon rush hour... I waited 45 minutes and over an hour the past two afternoons b/c every bus that did come by was packed with bodies. How they think this compensates for trains with a much larger capacity that come twice as often on Metro's most traveled route is pure stupidity.

Right, they should have continual buses running along that line. The rail is working downtown, at least where the traffic lights are working. That's probably UHDT to Bell or Ensemble, but I don't know.

Travis Street is finally reasonably clean and open for traffic today. I got tired of driving the wrong way through a minefield (two flats this week) to reach the Rice.

Home Depot on I-10/Bingle is wonderful. They had everything I needed each time I went -- chainsaws, bow saws, thousands of cases of bottled water.

Did you saw down all those sycamores and ash trees in the Market Square Area. Ball Cypress seem to have fared very well. Isn't this one type of tree that they'll be using on Kirby.

Okay, so what's with the east side of Chase Tower, the west side of Chase garage and the upper floor windows at the Rice. It would seem that there was a mini tornado at Texas and Travis. What do you think?

Baytown teacher stocks up on free MREs

http://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/kho...s.8c4fa377.html

Am I the only one whose blood is boiling from reading this!! :angry:

No...but I must say, I'm shocked that news of her MRE trickery spread - that would suggest that a person was actually reading her blog

Not aware of the situation in Deer Park, but I guess one could make an argument that food is hard to come by? I don't know, but I'm sure she's not the only one abusing the system...just the only one dumb enough to brag about it on the net

Edited by OkieEric