Hurricane Ike

Trae

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Galveston, or Houston, or both?

Reports in both. ABC mentioned schools were being looted to steal computers.

the generator has been somewhat of a lifesaver for us so far. We're not running a/c but pretty much everything else. However, we need the gas stations to open up soon or the generator will be worthless, unless we get the gas out of our cars.

Take caution with generators. A couple of dozen people have had to be rushed to the hospital today because of carbon monoxide poisoning. If you are using a generator keep it outside!!

Because of a last-minute jog toward the Bolivar peninsula, your parents did not receive the worst surge. I don't think their wood-framed home would've survived the waves if it had just been 10 miles down the coast.

Theirs is brick masonry, and they're in a middle of a block of other such buildings. The damage certainly could have been worse had the storm made landfall near San Luis Pass, but seeing as how it wasn't damaged at all by wind (not even a broken window), I'm pretty sure they could have made due. That's a realistic expectation, anyway. I'll fully grant you that their decision to stay put from back when the storm realistically could've intensified to a Category 4 and also hit further west was really really stupid.

Hi HAIFers. The Westbury didn't have power and our phones were running low, so we fled to upper Kirby. Ah, AC r00lz. Our neighbors came by with a chainsaw yesterday and cut the tree off of our driveway. I counted 20 people pitching in. No estimate on how many were gay, though. Whole Foods is open, but its a mad house. The love child is safe but bored.

Howdy y'all.... my sister just got back to her house in City Park off 288 and they have BOTH water and power. Her zip is 77047. And she told me not much damage in her nieghborhood.

Hopefully this is true for the whole 77047 area.

Take care

- TheBez

Hi HAIFers. The Westbury didn't have power and our phones were running low, so we fled to upper Kirby. Ah, AC r00lz. Our neighbors came by with a chainsaw yesterday and cut the tree off of our driveway. I counted 20 people pitching in. No estimate on how many were gay, though. Whole Foods is open, but its a mad house. The love child is safe but bored.

It just doesn't seem like memebag without the Orson Wells avatar... :ph34r:

Can someone tell me if the museum district, specifically the area around hermann park has power?

After a hellishly hot night Saturday night, we fled the Third Ward/Museum District neighborhood midday and are now chillin' in a hotel in Corpus Christi. My neighbors are supposed to text when the power is back and still no word.

After a hellishly hot night Saturday night, we fled the Third Ward/Museum District neighborhood midday and are now chillin' in a hotel in Corpus Christi. My neighbors are supposed to text when the power is back and still no word.

Everything is okay in Post Oak Blvd , at 1200 post oak. In the neighborhoods around had debrie. I look photos and video. I will try to post some.

I stopped by the Galleria earlier to see if everything was up and running. The answer is: YES!! It was like the Saturday before Christmas. It took 15 minutes to find parking, and the food court was jammed shoulder-to-shoulder in places. Half the stores were open.

It looks like Uptown is coming back to life. My parents' condo on Richmond has regained power (though central A/C is down).

HEDWIG VILLAGE MAYOR ANNOUNCES CURFEW

By order of the Mayor of the City of Hedwig Village, a full curfew is in effect beginning Sunday, September 14, 2008 at 9 p.m. Curfew hours in effect from 9 p.m. - 6 a.m. until further notice.

Persons in violation of this curfew order are subject to arrest.

City of Houston employees directed to return to work

Statement from Mayor Bill White:

Our city has obviously experienced a devastating blow from Hurricane Ike and its aftermath.

I am proud of the City of Houston employees' response as we are dealing with this still serious situation. I am directing that City of Houston employees return to work tomorrow, Monday, September 15, 2008.

All city employees are directed to report to work unless they are specifically directed to make their work-stations at their homes. Authorization to not come to work must be specifically obtained from your department supervisor.

I am hereby declaring that the City Municipal Courts will be closed for business tomorrow. However, Court personnel should report to duty, unless otherwise directed, to assist in bringing our system back online.

All City of Houston employees are asked to recognize the enormous challenges we face in assisting our community to return to normal. This will require an extra effort from all City employees and I am confident that we will respond appropriately.

CITY OF BELLAIRE CURFEW

By order of the Mayor of the City of Bellaire, a full curfew is in effect beginning Sunday, September 14, 2008 at 9 p.m. Curfew hours in effect from 9 p.m. - 6 a.m. until further notice.

Persons in violation of this curfew order are subject to arrest.

West University Place Issues "Boil Water" Notice

Effective immediately, the City of West University Place has issued a Boil Water notice because the quality of the drinking water may be unsafe as a result of the power outage caused by Hurricane Ike.

The City advises residents NOT to drink the water until tests determine it is safe. The City recommends using one of the following methods to treat water for drinking, cooking or washing dishes.

1. Boil water before use: Hold it at a rolling boil for at least two minutes before using it for drinking, cooking or washing food (the minutes start when the water begins to bubble). The flat taste of boiled water may be removed by shaking the water bottle or by pouring it from one container to another.

2. Use bottled water, especially for mixing baby formula.

3. Disinfect water by adding 8 drops (about 1/8 teaspoon - this would form a puddle about the size of a dime) of plain unscented household bleach per gallon of water, and hen let it stand for 30 minutes before using. If the water is cloudy after 30 minutes, repeat the procedure. Use a container with a cap or cover for disinfecting or storing water to be used for drinking. This will prevent contamination.

4. Treat water with chlorine tablets or iodine tablets. Read and follow the label instructions.

Water samples will be collected and monitored to determine when it is safe again. When the public health threat has been removed you will be notified.

RESIDENTS SHOULD CONTINUE DISINFECTING WATER UNTIL NOTIFIED THAT THE WATER IS SAFE.

Updated School Closings Sep 14th, 2008

Aldine ISD www.aldine.k12.tx.us/ Closed Mon., Tues. & Wed. 9/17; essential personnel report Mon. at 8 AM

Alief ISD www.alief.isd.tenet.edu/ Closed Monday, 9/15

Alvin ISD Closed Mon & Tues 9/16

Angleton ISD Closed Monday, 9/15

Barbers Hill ISD Closed Monday, 9/15

Brazosport ISD Closed Mon & Tues 9/16

Channelview ISD www.channelview.isd.esc4.net/ Closed Mon & Tues 9/16

Clear Creek ISD www.ccisd.net/ Closed all Week #281-284-0027

Closed Mon & Tues 9/16

Conroe ISD Closed Mon & Tues 9/16

Crosby ISD www.crosbyisd.org Closed Monday, 9/15

Cypress- Fairbanks ISD www.cfisd.net/ Closed Mon., Tues. & Wed. 9/17

Danbury ISD Closed Mon., Tues. & Wed. 9/17

Dayton ISD www.daytonisd.net/ Closed all Week

Deer Park ISD www.dpisd.org/ Closed Mon & Tues 9/16

Dickinson ISD Closed Monday, 9/15

Friendswood Closed till further notice

Fort Bend ISD Closed Mon & Tues 9/16

Galveston ISD Closed All week

Galena Park ISD www.galenaparkisd.com/ Closed Mon., Tues. & Wed. 9/17; employees in Maintenance, ground & custodial report if possible

Goose Creek ISD www.gccisd.net/right.htm Closed Monday, 9/15

Hitchcock ISD Closed until futher notice

Houston ISD www.houstonisd.org/ Schools & Administrative offices Closed till Wednesday 9/17; employees not report to work unless notified by supervisor

Huffman ISD www.huffmanisd.net/ Closed Mon. & Tues. 9/16

Humble ISD www.humble.k12.tx.us/ Closed Mon., Tues. & Wed. 9/17

Huntsville ISD Closed Monday, 9/15

Katy ISD www.katyisd.org/ Closed Monday, 9/15

Klein ISD www.kleinisd.net/ Closed Mon., Tues. & Wed. 9/17

La Porte ISD www.laporte.isd.esc4.net/ Closed until futher notice

Lamar CISD Closed Mon. & Tues. 9/16

La Marque ISD Closed Monday, 9/15 till further notice

Magnolia ISD Closed Monday, 9/15

Matagorda ISD Closed Monday, 9/15; Staff asked to report

Needville ISD Closed Monday, 9/15

New Caney ISD www.newcaneyisd.org/ Closed Mon & Tues 9/16

North Forest ISD www.northforestschools.org/ Closed Monday, 9/15

Palacios ISD Closed Monday, 9/15

Pasadena ISD www.pasadenaisd.org/ Closed until futher notice

Pearland ISD www.pearlandisd.org/pisd/default.htm Closed until futher notice

Santa Fe ISD Closed all week 9/19

Sheldon ISD www.sheldonisd.com/ Closed Mon. & Tues. 9/16; Administrative personnel will be contacted

Spring ISD www.springisd.org/ Closed Mon., Tues. & Wed. 9/17

Spring Branch ISD www.springbranchisd.com/ Closed Mon. & Tues. 9/16

Stafford MSD www.stafford.msd.esc4.net/ Closed Mon. & Tues. 9/16

Sweeny ISD Closed Monday, 9/15

Texas City Closed till further notice

Tomball ISD www.tomballisd.net/ Closed Mon., Tues. & Wed. 9/17

Waller ISD www.waller.isd.esc4.net/ Closed Monday, 9/15

Willis ISD Closed Mon., Tues. & Wed. 9/17

Harris County Dept. of Ed.

Columbia-Brazoria ISD

9/14/2008 5:29 PM Page 2 of 2

Van Vleck ISD Closed Monday, 9/15

Universities

Lonestar College Closed Mon. & Tues. 9/16

U of H - Downtown Closed Mon. & Tues. 9/16

Rice University Closed Monday, 9/15

San Jacinto

College Closed till Monday, Sept. 22.; employees may be contacted by supervisor to come in

U of H - Main Closed Monday, 9/15

Alvin Community Colelge Closed Mon., Tues. & Wed. 9/17

Houston Community College Closed Mon. & Tues. 9/16

West U reporting. Drove around today and everyone has cleaned their yards and piled branches by the curb. Lots of blocks have power but unfortunately, my block isn't one of them. Lots of traffic light are totally destroyed. Its going to be a nightmare come this week as we all know how all way stops work in Houston. Kroger open and some restaurants. My favorite breakfast place, the Buffalo Grill was open! Overall didn't see house damage but lots of trees and branches down. I think we did well. Not at all what the news had me to believe would happen. I really feared total devastation.

The silver lining is that I think it brought the city together. Lots of my neighbors were out cleaning and everyone was helpful and offered assistance. Galvanized the city, hope it lasts.

That's it, hope all you guys are allright and safe!

Power back in certain areas of Spring. Anything west of Kuykendahl has power. However my mom and grandmother inbetween Kuykendahl and 45 do not have power... Mmmm Chef Chan's!

Does that include areas of Spring that are considered the "Woodlands"

Wondering because it will be easier for my hubby's team of energy folks to work from home if power is back on there--as they can't get into "downtown" right now......

Power back on in parts of Mangum Manor and some parts of Oak Forest (west side of OF). Feel very luck that only off approx 36 hours. 2 sides of the wooden fence is down - satellite dish knocked off roof (will be until Oct 4th before repairs are made! - more internet time for me!!), a little water under sliding glass doors due to force of wind. Tree limbs everywhere - some trees down. All in all, not too bad.

Hope everyone is ok and I truly hope you all get power and a/c soon!

I've heard very few reports of anything east of Downtown. How are things in Eastwood? Second Ward? Did the old Maxwell House factory make it?

As of this afternoon my Eastwood property had power, running water, and working telephone, television, and internet. Apparently that block is the only one, though. Most others, even right across the street, do not have electricity.

i live on cummins st, right near greenway plaza. power turned on saturday at about 3 or 4, we have water pressure now and everything is back to normal here... with the exception of all the trees that have been knocked down.

Are you in those new midrise apartments?

Sounds like it's a good idea to live next to employment centers. Uptown was up early too.

Hey guys, just reporting in myself.

I got the hell out at about 7, the roads were empty and I hauled to Westchase. Lost power at 3am, at noon, went back to my place,no power there on saturday, relocated to east Freakin' Bernard with another set of friends. (Yay! full tanks!), went back to west chase a few hours ago to another friend that lives in the area. HWY 6 is spotty with power (The highway, not the user) with only a few traffic lights being functional. Will check on my place again tomorrow and help clean up a buddy's fence as well.

I have a fairly similar experience as red,ex girlfriends came out of the woodwork texting. :)

going to be interesting reading the new posts.:P

Several I haven't heard from in 6-10 years.

Now that I think about it, I haven't heard from from once since Allison.

Interesting.

When they think they're gonna die, they realize they still want you. :wub: :wub:

Does anyone have a chainsaw I can borrow? I need to liberate my parents' house from terrorist trees.

When they think they're gonna die, they realize they still want you. :wub::wub:

Does anyone have a chainsaw I can borrow? I need to liberate my parents' house from terrorist trees.

Hardly, they mostly live out of town. This should be interesting, now I have several dates. Go fig.

I have several chainsaws to chose from, but I think they're all dedicated to someone or another here. I hope to help cut a few trees before I leave as a thank you to my host for the evening.

CONTINENTAL AIRLINES TO RESUME FLIGHTS MONDAY AT HOUSTON; CHANGE FLIGHTS AT CONTINENTAL.COM FOR NO FEE

. continental.com provides latest flight information and operations summary

. Houston hub begins operations

. Passengers and airport employees not affected by Houston curfew

. Employees from other locations to fly to Houston to assist co-workers at hub

HOUSTON, Sept. 14, 2008 - Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL) is preparing to resume mainline jet flights Monday, Sept. 15, at its Houston hub at Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) following the carrier's suspension of operations Saturday and Sunday in Houston due to Hurricane Ike. The carrier plans to operate the vast majority of its schedule to and from IAH. The first flight is scheduled to arrive at 5:33 a.m. and the first departure is at 6:30 a.m. Continental Express and Continental Connection flights to and from the Houston hub will operate at a reduced level on Monday.

Continental employees from other domestic locations will fly into Houston to assist their co-workers in resuming operations at the IAH hub.

2-1-1 Info Line

The statewide 2-1-1 telephone network is operational again as an information and referral line. People calling 2-1-1 can get information on a variety of Hurricane Ike-related issues including road closures, shelter information, mental health services health-related service centers and FEMA procedures.

All Texas residents can now call 2-1-1 for any questions related to recovery from Hurricane Ike.

Temporary Housing Disaster Assistance Available

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has made federal disaster aid available for the state of Texas to supplement recovery efforts in the area struck by Hurricane Ike, including assistance for temporary housing for those whose homes are unlivable.

Available assistance includes rental payments for up to three months for homeowners and at least one month for renters. Assistance may be extended if requested after the initial period based on a review of individual applicant requirements.

Persons who need assistance should register at www.fema.gov or at 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or 1-800-462-7585 (TTY) for the hearing and speech impaired. Applicants registering for aid should be prepared to provide basic information about themselves (name, permanent address, phone number), insurance coverage and any other information to substantiate losses.

HCFCD FloodWatch Status - 15 Sep 08 started at 0700

--------------------------------------------------------

RAINFALL

None forecasted for next 5 days

CHANNEL WATER LEVELS SINCE SUNDAY

-This information based on gage readings only. Need visual confirmation.

- Water levels are receding and still out of banks. They will be back in banks by sometime Tuesday, except the West Fork of the San Jacinto River

- Halls Bayou

- Little Cypress Creek

- Willow Creek east of 249

- West Fork of the San Jacinto River above Lake Houston

OTHER ACTIVITIES

- The 2nd Outlet Gates on Clear Lake were opened Sunday, September 14 at 1:30 pm

- Ground reconnaissance for High Water Marks will continue today

- Channel condition assessments will begin today

- As counts of flooded homes and businesses are developed, efforts will be made to distinguish between flooding from storm surge, from bayous and their tributaries, and overland sheet flow (street flooding)

Archived