Hurricane Ike

Trae

I think the water outage is citywide. I'm near Westchase and I have power. I think it's related to Red's weird Alicia phenomenon.

Interesting. I was prepared to go without power but have water. But I suppose wholesale power is needed for general water flow anyway. Well, I filled up two large coolers full of water as well as a big bucket of extra water before coming in to work. Wise usage should get us a few days of bathing and toilet flushing.

Now that I think of it...since Westchase is a semi-ritzy white collar business area...I'm betting they prioritize that area for power if there are any outages nearby. They probably wouldn't publicize it but I'm presuming nice business areas get priority.

It's either the weird Alicia phenomenon or lack of large trees cutting down those high lines...or something to that effect.

Hopefully the water comes back soon everywhere.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting. I was prepared to go without power but have water. But I suppose wholesale power is needed for general water flow anyway. Well, I filled up two large coolers full of water as well as a big bucket of extra water before coming in to work. Wise usage should get us a few days of bathing and toilet flushing.

If it's yellow, let it mellow.

If it's brown, flush it down.

Report from parents in downtown Galveston: Water only got up a little above the first story door, and not even close to the second floor landing. No broken windows. Cars that were (stupidly) parked on the street are no longer parked in the same places. Trees down. Utility lines and poles down. Lots of debris. Garbage cans have floated away. Intermittent cell phone service to some phones, not others.

Report from friend who talked to police in Tiki Island: There are lots of boats strewn all over the roads. Water is still up, but it is receeding. Many if not most of people's homes are on high stilts and surprisingly are not flooded.

Report from Eastwood: Tropical Storm force winds and rain persist. No broken windows, no perceptible damage, although the storm did vibrate the house for several hours. Many fewer tree limbs. Police and some other people are driving around on the roads now.

So far, so good.

Because of a last-minute jog toward the Bolivar peninsula, your parents did not receive the worst surge. I don't think their wood-framed home would've survived the waves if it had just been 10 miles down the coast.

Anything new, desirous, or are you getting some rest?

Posted just when I got to bed. ;)

Something - SOMETHING - knocked out the wall of the State Bar. There's a gaping hole on the second floor now. It must've been a pretty big piece of furniture or something. Not much else. The sheriff won't let me get out of the building, so I can't explore.

Chase Bank building's east side is completely void of windows now, as is the parking garage facade of the building across the street from Chase. I am betting Tornadoran between the two of them on the street.

That is correct. There was an intermittent tornado on Travis for over an hour.

USE OF GENERATORS

(Harris County, TX) The Harris County Medical Examiner is reminding everyone who is using a gas-powered generator to operate the generator outside the home and away from windows.

Operating a generator inside the home will create unhealthy levels of carbon monoxide and can cause death. Citizens are cautioned to follow the manufacturer's instructions and to be extremely careful when using gas-powered generators.

Always keep a burning candle within sight. Extinguish all candles when leaving a room or before going to sleep.

Never burn a candle on or near anything that can catch fire. Place candles away from drapes, bedding, carpets, books, paper, flammable decorations, etc.

Just walked around the museum district. Lots of limbs covering Hermann Drive. Some big pine trees are down in Hermann Park but surprisingly all of the oaks that I saw survived. Those live oaks are tough! The paths are flooded and the storm knocked over an outhouse.

My apartment building has some roof damage - shingles all over the place and some minor flooding on the ground floor. Good thing it's not a condo or I'd have to help pay for that.

I'm still using my iPhone to connect (tethered to my laptop). Unfortunately the battery is going to die at som epoint though. No electricity here, and water is out too. :(

Your updates are very appreciated. Do you know anything about the Plaza Museum District apartments (specifically regarding water/power)? I left on Thursday when I realized I was woefully unprepared (little food, water). Wondering if it makes sense for me to return tomorrow.

I know this is likely a long shot, but many thanks for the valuable information you have already provided. Stay safe.

PET HOTLINE

(Harris County, TX) In support of the Hurricane Ike emergency response, the Houston SPCA has launched the Animal Rescue line to report lost or found animals and to report animal related information. The Animal Rescue line will remain open until 6:00 pm today and 10:00 am to 6:00 pm in the following days. The Pet Hotline phone number is 713-861-0161.

Stayed the night at the inlaws near Jersey Village. They lost power bout midnight. Some roof damage, was up all night on pot brigade with about a dozen leaks... very unfortunate.

We just got back to our 4plex in montrose. Were fearing the worst as we drove up Richmond and saw the gas station half destroyed near Woodhead.

No leaking roof, no broken windows, and we have power back already. Talked to the neighbor, our power was only out for about 3 hours.

Got lucky here.. hope everyone has fared as well.

Downtown Houston Closed for Cleanup, Assessment

(Harris County, TX) -Houston's downtown area has been closed for cleanup and assessment of storm damage.

Only authorized personnel with a critical need to be in the area will be allowed to enter. Unauthorized persons should not attempt to enter downtown.

My part of Eastwood (between Leeland and Harby) fared pretty well. Part of a neighbor's tree went through his roof, but that is the worst I have seen. Still no power, but we do have (low-pressure) water. All ~30 windows are intact and the house didn't so much as shake. Lost a bunch of asbestos shingles, though, and the backside of the house will have to be repainted. Can't imagine how long it will take to get a roofer over who deals with these shingles!

We are hanging out with our friends in Hermann Lofts, who never lost power. One of their neighbors had their rooftop a/c unit fly off the building, but that seems to be the worst of it. Cotton Exchange lost some glass, as did Hogg Palace and Wedge building.

So, who is willing to wager on the average increase in insurance premiums next year?

So, who is willing to wager on the average increase in insurance premiums next year?

That is a great point. A realtor friend of mine on the East coast of Florida didn't sell anything for over a year. He said no one could afford the insurance, even if they could afford the house. It was just his opinion, but probably some truth in it.

flipper

p.s. you folks with power are very fortunate!

Johnson Space Center Assessing Hurricane Ike Damage

(Harris County, TX) -A 65-member team that rode out Hurricane Ike at NASA's Johnson Space Center has begun to assess the condition of Johnson. No injuries have been reported and there was no major flooding.

A portion of the Mission Control Center roof was damaged; however steps were taken to mitigate any serious water intrusion, and all systems supporting the International Space Station continue to function normally. There are reports of branches and light poles on the ground, and cosmetic damage to some other buildings and vehicles.

Johnson has been on generator power since 5 a.m. CDT.

At NASA's Ellington Field operation, roofs of some hangars and awnings sustained damage.

The International Space Station continues to be controlled by NASA flight controllers who were dispatched to the Austin, Texas, area and Huntsville, Ala., prior to the onset of the storm.

It is too early to know what effect, if any, the hurricane will have on upcoming space shuttle launches.

Hi everyone. I am here and largely intact. Lost power around 4 so I went to sleep. At noon I got up to check things out. Lots of branches down and one hit house but no damage.

I am posting from a blackberry and I don't have a charger so haif posts will be limited hope others are well.

Hi everyone. I am here and largely intact. Lost power around 4 so I went to sleep. At noon I got up to check things out. Lots of branches down and one hit house but no damage.

I am posting from a blackberry and I don't have a charger so haif posts will be limited hope others are well.

Glad to hear from you. I know a bunch of HAIFers were concerned.

My boyfriend lives in Cougar Place... On the bottom floor. I made him come up to Abilene this weekend, looks like he'll be staying till Monday or Tuesday. Also my dad flew in, but flew in from DFW instead. Hilton Westchase is closed, as well as all the offices in that area. But I'm sure you folks can assume that.

On my way back in, i noticed with electricity -

Magic Island off 59,

The intersection lights and gas station at Richmond and Shepherd.

some of Castle Court neighborhood.

Richmont Square Apartments.

So it appears if you live lower montrose area and towards shepherd, if you're thinking of heading back into town, you might be part of the lucky 5% of people with power.

September 13, 2008; 15:57

Mandatory Language for a Boil Water Notification

Due to conditions which have occurred recently in the water system, the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) is requiring Webster to notify all customers to boil their water prior to consumption.

To ensure destruction of all harmful bacteria and other microbes, water for drinking, cooking, and for making ice should be boiled and cooked prior to consumption. The water should be brought to a vigorous rolling boil and then boiled for two minutes. In lieu of boiling, you may purchase bottled water or obtain water from some other suitable source. When it is no longer necessary to boil the water, the water system officials will notify you.

For those without power, what is your guess as to when you'll get it again? In my smaller neighborhood I saw three lines down and I didn't even drive on all the streets. I have a feeling we're not a high priority either especially cuz we're not very dense. My guess is at least a week?

Any news about City Park off 288 ? My sister's house is over there and I can not get ahold of her at all (cell coverage is a wee bit spotty...)

I have friends that live there. Power's out, nothing else bad. Seems like the area was so desolate, there wasn't much debris to work with. :lol:

Wow... anyone see Chase Tower downtown? Almost all of the windows are missing on the east / southeast side on the bottom 20-30 floors! I got some pictures... can't post them right now I am at work but when I get internet back at home I will. In the Heights there are tons of trees down... we have no power or water... going to be a fun couple of days!

Wow... anyone see Chase Tower downtown? Almost all of the windows are missing on the east / southeast side on the bottom 20-30 floors! I got some pictures... can't post them right now I am at work but when I get internet back at home I will. In the Heights there are tons of trees down... we have no power or water... going to be a fun couple of days!

Yeah, I watched the tower explode. The waterspout got so bad at one point I had to shut my window.

Archived